new Keltec p3AT

This is a discussion on new Keltec p3AT within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well, i finally got a chance to shoot it today, after waiting a whole week, and... OWWW!!! it is very accurate, though it took me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Keltec p3AT

new Keltec p3AT

well, i finally got a chance to shoot it today, after waiting a whole week, and...OWWW!!! it is very accurate, though it took me a few rounds to get used to the looooong trigger. 4 out of 6 rounds were headshots from 10 yards, not bad. my groups were under 3", which is a whole lot more than i expected from something so tiny. but, G*D, that recoil! if anyone who has this gun can give me some advice, to keep the thing from jumping out of my hand, please feel free to offer any thoughts! i'm off to apply some ice to my hand, now.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Chooie took the magazine floor plate with a pinky rest off my Bersa .380 mags and put it on one of his P3AT mags and that helped with recoil a bit. It didn't compromise the concealability either. Certainly something to look into.

It sure does still buck but at least you'll have it when you need it and I'm sure you won't give a darn about recoil if it comes to that.

A quick, easy and super cheap way to tame some of the bite is to put a section of bike innertube around the grip. I think I used a 1.75" mountain bike tube on mine, but I could be wrong.... it was quite a while ago.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    What ammo are your using?

Although not the same gun, my experience with the LCP is that the recoil was not any worse then my M&P 45. I didn't get much advantage from using the grip extension. I only shot one handed, both left and right and both practice ammo (Blazer Brass) and SD ammo (Hornady).
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

The finger extension does help alot, and a Hogue Handall Jr grip works really well.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by jerm1109 View Post
    The finger extension does help alot, and a Hogue Handall Jr grip works really well.
    Agreed. However a word of advice: put some double-sided tape under the Hogue grip. On mine it is just loose enough to start sliding after a few rounds.
    Grip Info

Nathan
    --
    Ruger KP97DC .45 (x2)
    Ruger P97DC .45
    Ruger 22/45 .22
    Kel-tec PF-9 9mm
    Kel-tec P3-AT .380

Great idea!! It does slide somewhat.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    --Thomas Jefferson

“We are not retreating—we are advancing in another direction.”
    General Douglas MacArthur

EW3
    I tried the Bersa mag finger extension and that was a no-go. The recoil and downward pressure on the finger extension caused the magazine to pop out after every shot. You just have to realize that it's a tiny gun and you can't hold onto it as well as a larger one.

I found a shooting glove helped with the snappy recoil and the rough checkering on the grip.

Also would like to put in a recommendation for Corbon DPX as carry ammo.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Certainly a snappy little thing. But I find it fine for 100 or so rounds of WWB. Just stay away from +p for routine shootin.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

DPX avgs 1020fps out of mine w/o the kick(to me) as some jhps I've tried. +1 on Hardball Jr. slipon w/a strip of double sided tape under it.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I tried the Bersa mag finger extension and that was a no-go. The recoil and downward pressure on the finger extension caused the magazine to pop out after every shot. You just have to realize that it's a tiny gun and you can't hold onto it as well as a larger one.

I found a shooting glove helped with the snappy recoil and the rough checkering on the grip.

Also would like to put in a recommendation for Corbon DPX as carry ammo.
    I'm left handed, and have no issue with the mag popping out. I also use a Hogue grip sleeve; perhaps that helps raise my finger off of the mag release. If your magazine is popping out without you accidentally pressing the release, you should contact KelTec for a replacement part.

P3AT with Hogue grip sleeve and Bersa pinky rest

holding P3AT in right hand, no tendency to hit mag release

holding P3AT in left hand, note mag release also not touched (visible at web between index and middle fingers)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    For the rough checkering and serations on the back strap you can take a felt polishing tip on a dremel tool at low speed and buff those to take the sharpness off them. I did it to mine so i wouldn't have to have anything on the grip but mine was kind of sharp. BE CAREFUL doing this if you try it because it doesn't take much. It didn't deform the grip or look bad, just dulled the sharp edges of the checkering. I tried the hogue grip but mine was too loose.

Also, you can buy the mag extension from Keltec. It adds one round to the mag and makes for a better grip. It can make the gun print a tiny bit more in thin dress pants pocket carry.

Just some thoughts.

the recoil can't be worse than shooting a .38 snubbie can it??

Don't shoot plus p unless you want to make sure your piece will handle it. I put the inner tube on mine, and I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference in perceived recoil. I would suggest going with the Kel Tec +1 mag extension as well. Sorry about the crappy pictures, I took them on my phone.

I used a a small hand-all upside down and trimmed to fit, it puts the palm swell at the bottom which helps more with recoil. Also a good shot of hairspray under the sleeve will keep it in place. I don't use it anymore, just got used to the recoil I guess.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links