Looking for input on Kimber.......

This is a discussion on Looking for input on Kimber....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may sell this one, however, have had no problems...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on Kimber.......

I may sell this one, however, have had no problems
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

Most everyone I know is happy with theirs. I'd suggest looking at a Compact Kimber...same small frame but with a 4" bull barrel. It provides a longer sight plane, more velocity, and less recoil. The barrel length is not a concealment issue to most folks.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I carry a Kimber Pro Raptor everyday. No problems what so ever. I did change out the polymer mainspring housing and the grips, but that was just for personal preference.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

A bobtailed Pro is my favorite.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have found the Colt Defender to be the most reliable of the 3" guns.

ranburr

XD40SC vs a 3" 1911? Ask and ye shall receive!

Replaced thick wood grips on the 1911 with slim carry. Not much wider than the main spring housing now! Notice how slim and trim the 1911 is vs the XD.

My Kimber UC CDP II now.

JD
    Administrator
    Rusty, if you still have that camera handy, can you take another shot illustrating the difference in grip circumference/grip shape between the two?

Lima,

Do you presume the gun hit on it's muzzle ? I'm trying to play the slide deal out in my mind. I have an Ultra Carry and you findings are concerning. Thanks.

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Rusty, if you still have that camera handy, can you take another shot illustrating the difference in grip circumference/grip shape between the two?
    Ta Da!

You can see the 1911 grips eat up a little of the thinness, but still feel much less bulky to the hand. The oval versus block shape helps. These are supposedly the thin carry versions of the VZ Gatorbacks too. Per my other pics, the slide is WAAY thinner. The 1911 is a bit taller if you factor in the sights and overall longer with the beavertail.

I've had 2 Kimbers. The first was a 5" Tactical model that simply would not work. Two visits to Kimber couldn't fix it. It was my secondary handgun on SWAT & I had to put it to rest one day when it lodged a spent casing behind the extractor so tightly that I had to clear it with tools. Not good. A year later, after being INUNDATED by 1911 articles, I broke down and bought a stainless TLE/RL II. This Kimber has been flawless; perfect. It's a beast, so I rarely carry it concealed, but it serves as my second handgun on SWAT and protects my house. My only issue is that in my experience, buying 1911s is hit or miss, when every single Glock or Sig I own has been 100% from the box.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Lima,

Do you presume the gun hit on it's muzzle ? I'm trying to play the slide deal out in my mind. I have an Ultra Carry and you findings are concerning. Thanks.

Sarge
    It hit both on the butt the first time and on the muzzle the second but the result was the same.

I own the CDP in the 5" version (see avatar), and have had no failures thus far. Am about on the 750th or so round, so I THINK I'm past the nasty stuff now. Only thing I'd like to do is bring the ejected brass into a more neat ejection radius, but will wait on that until I get back my newest Kimber-a SS Pro Carry HD that's being bobbed (after suffering severe Kimber envy from looking at AZHusker's stable). I chose the Pro Carry HD because I get a 4" bull barrel for longer sight picture versus a 3", and my hands are just large enough that they're not so happy with the compact or ultra versions. So, I compromised by getting the bob done. Already have the new grips in hand!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Lima,

Sarge
    I don't think it's an issue with current production Kimbers, the pre-series II CDPs had a more aggressive melt job on them, it was a combination of a lack of metal at the rear of the slide rails and the MIM safety being too "soft" that led to the issue. My pre-series II Compact has the same melt as Lima's CDP, but my series II Pro did not have such a radical melt near the rear of the slide near the rails.

YMMV

I see. The melt contributed to the incident. I shouldn't have the worry so much then since mine has no melt. Thanks JD and Lima.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links