Looking for input on Kimber.......

This is a discussion on Looking for input on Kimber....... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ultra CDP II I am looking to upgrade/add to my collection, this model gun. Never had a Kimber before but know that they are good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on Kimber.......

Ultra CDP II
    I am looking to upgrade/add to my collection, this model gun. Never had a Kimber before but know that they are good quality guns. Does anyone have one they can give me some feedback on. Carry issues, shooting, pro's con's etc......? Holsters?
    Thanks....

People love them or hate them...no in between.

I have a Custom TLE/RL II that I LOVE. Have about 500 rounds through it and had the slide fail to lock back ONCE (after market S&W mag) during the first 20 rounds through it.

A little too big for me to carry comfortably so it's basically my house gun.

Customer Service - Never had to use them, don't know.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

JD
    Administrator
    500 round break in per Kimbers manual, some need more, some need less. So if it's giving you troubles, just keep shooting.

Fit and finish are excellent, holsters are plentiful.

Kimber only offers a one year limited warranty if that's a concern for you.

No carry issues IMHO, they shoot great for what they are, a 3" big bore CCW gun, pros are that they are small, lightweight, and easily concealable.

Cons, it's small and lightweight making it less enjoyable to shoot for extended periods of time, it's a "hi cost" gun and IMHO there are better options on both sides of the price range. .45ACP is getting expensive, and a 500rd break in is not cheap these days.

As stated holsters are plentiful, there are many makers to choose from.

The 3 inch Kimbers are hit and miss. Mine is fine but it does shoot brass back into my face every so often. To the point that i dont shoot it with out waring a hat anymore due to getting cut on the head. I need to tune the extractor and it should fix the problem but just have not gotten around to it. A very accurate pistol for the size. I was also having FTRB and i fixed this by installing wolff xp springs.

Mine is the Tactical Ultra

Adam

i love mine. sometimes they get a bad rap of not working well b/c they do have a break in period. but after that they are just wonderful
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I had some difficulties with my extractor and ramp that went beyond the break-in period. I called customer service and they were great. I had the gun back in a week with a new extractor, polished ramp, three new magazines and a handful of replacement springs. I haven't had a problem since.

Excellent weapon if you like 1911s IMHO. Pick a size, any size.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

I absolutely love my Kimber Ultra Carry. I thought about the CDP, but the UltraCarry just felt better in my hand. It is a joy to shoot, has less felt recoil than my XD9, and for a 3" barrel, it's a tack driver.

Disappears in just about any holster and I absolutely love it. I guess I just must be that one in a million customer that got a perfect gun.

Kimbers are very tight for a production gun, so yes, a break in is necessary. 500 rounds is recommended, but mine has been perfect out of the box and I had no fears in carrying it after my first trip to the range. Since then, I have about 600 ball through it and about 80 45ACP Golden Saber 230gr with no problems.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Ive had afew Kimbers. Beautiful pistols they are. Wish they had performed as well as they look. Alas----not so.

Thanks for the input folks. I am currently using the XD40SC. Was thinking about smaller frame on the Kimber, and the width. I'll be making a trip to a shop to handle a few. See if they fit my hands ok.

I have two Kimbers. A Custom II (see avatar) and the Ultra CDP II. The Ultra was a little problematic at first. Sent it back to Kimber and they reamed and polished the chamber and polished the push rod. When I got it back I had a friend who is a 1911 guru look it over and he said the extractor was way out of tune. A little careful tuning (bending ) and it hasn't had a problem unless it was really dirty. I ran it through an advanced handgun class about a month ago. We fired 400 rounds (WWB - not the cleanest stuff) during the class. I didn't clean it during the class and by the time the round count got into the mid-300's the slide was starting to cycle slower and I began to get an occasional jam. Had about 4 jams by the time the class was over and they were in the last 50 or 60 rounds. I had no issues shooting a 3" alloy .45 for 400 rounds, although part of that is a smoother set of Wilson grips that have replaced the OEM grips. The old ones had a tendency to make a tender spot in the corner of the base of my right palm after a couple hundred rounds of shooting. At this point I have over 1700 rounds through it. The gun is very accurate. I love it. I carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie40 View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. I am currently using the XD40SC. Was thinking about smaller frame on the Kimber, and the width. I'll be making a trip to a shop to handle a few. See if they fit my hands ok.
    My Kimber Ultra retired my XD9 as my EDC.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

My Ultra CDP II is an outstanding handgun. I especially chose it because of fit & finish, de-horning, night sights, light weight and ambi safety (my young bride's a lefty, and I wanted her to be able to use it with no problems).

I've had it for a couple of years, and it's been altogether reliable. I went through the 500 round break-in with ball ammo without a hiccup, and there have been no problems with any of the hollow-points I've tried. I currently use Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr for defensive use.

I was especially impressed with the how accurate and how comfortable it is to shoot. I had shot a lot of 1911s, but never a 3" barrel, compact frame model. It surpassed my expectations.

The price is in the middle range of 1911s (I paid $925 NIB), which worked for me. If you can afford 2 grand+, you can go with an Ed Brown, Wilson, or Les Baer.

The only real change I made is to put slimmer and smoother grips on it. For carry IWB, the standard rosewood grips were uncomfortable. I'm currently using a set of half-checkered Alumagrips.

The Ultra CDP II is my every day carry piece and I'm quite happy with it. I have no reservations about recommending one to you. Just make sure you don't get one of the external extractor models that they made for about a year.

In original configuration, alongside the Desert Warrior:

In the Tucker HF1:

In the Tucker Answer (My every day carry rig). The grips are shed elk antler:

Current configuration, with thinline Alumagrips. The mag is a Wilson 47,OX with slim basepad:
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    Other than issues with the MIM safety I had no problems with my Ultra CDP (pre-series II).

First two days I got it I put it through about 300 rounds. It worked flawlessly. Then I dropped it (on accident) and learned something about that MIM thumb safety.... it gives.

This is the gun when I got it...

And this is what happened when I dropped it...

See the nice little scar on the slide where the slide LITERALLY was racked about a half an inch UNDER the thumb safety. The thumb safety never disengaged it just bent outward OVER the slide. Of course, the gun never fired, but it jammed my gun out of battery and about took a vice grip to get the thumb safety disengaged to the point where the slide could return to normal.

A couple days later the gun was sitting on the bed while I was getting dressed. JD ran in the bedroom and jumped on the bed, not knowing the gun was there, the gun fell off the bed, onto a carpeted floor and it did it again. The thumb safety flexed outward, the slide moved beneath the safety and got jammed out of battery again.

I immediately shelved the gun until a gunsmith could look at it and it was determined that the MIM metal was just not strong enough. It was giving and bending and eventually it would have broken.

I shelved the gun until a Wilson Combat machined steel safety could be put on the gun.

Also, the tritium vials were starting to weaken so I replaced the sights with XS sights and put new grips on it and replaced all of the Kimber mags with Tripp Research or Wilson magazines.

It did need ONE extraction tuning the brass was not extracting right and was getting chewed up by the ejection port. It wasn't jamming, and I wouldn't have realized there was even a problem had I not been collecting my brass and paying attention to the ejection port on the slide.

My brass looked like this...

My ejection port looked like this...

If you look closely you can see where the brass was wearing off on the port.

Now it looks like this...

Finally, the plastic main-spring-housing will eventually be replaced with a steel one but other than that I'm done messing with it. Through all the issues with the darned safety I still never had so much as a single misfeed, jam, failure to feed, or anything.

I DID pull a tendon in my hand trying to put over 350 rounds through the thing in two days and I decided that if I was going to be doing any serious, all day shooting I would need a heavier gun to absorb the recoil but this is a GREAT carry gun and I'll never get rid of it as long as it continues to be reliable.

And, yeah, I've drop tested it again since the new safety has been put on and the problem is fixed there. That Wilson safety is 100 times the strength of that MIM piece of crap and it's not moving.

I still carry it and still enjoy it. It will probably be the last Kimber I ever own and I couldn't think of a better one to get as a last Kimber.

I originally had two Kimber CDP II's...an Ultra and a Pro...the Pro had the external extractor.
    My Ultra is my EDC...just recently, I traded the Pro for a Compact (internal extractor)...longer barrel with the shorter grip.

I have not had any trouble with my Kimbers...great guns...OMO...others will vary (but that happens with ANY gun).

Stay armed...enjoy a Kimber...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links