Well, I plunked it down .... - Page 2

Well, I plunked it down ....

This is a discussion on Well, I plunked it down .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ill be in Syracuse N.Y. toward the middle of Dec, but Maine would be a heck of a road trip. Besides I already have one ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, I plunked it down ....

Ill be in Syracuse N.Y. toward the middle of Dec, but Maine would be a heck of a road trip.

Besides I already have one 1911 thats a "problem child", I wanna at least Get that one fixed, so I can take the pic of John Browning off my dart board.
    (Oops... methinks I just ticked off several hundred 1911 fans, with that last remark )Uhmmm, ahh, I think I should be taking that pic off my dart board NOW!

Assistant Administrator
    Greg - quick - PM Bruce - make sure to get his hit man off your case.

Shucks man - you's treadin' on thin ice
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    , so your coming to NY are you:club:

Well heck Chris.you knew it was coming....LOL........"Uncle Bob" can fix yer right up with one of them Detonics .. Uhh Yuhhh <Maine accent>

Here's an observation that occurred to me while I was researchin' the old (Washington) Detonics guns. The negatives I found on the internet appeared to me to be posted by folks who may not have been very experienced shooters, and here's why: the typical, recurrring statements that made me think that were about new guns (meaning new weapons, not new manufacturers) that folks had only put a few rounds through, and included such statements (loose paraphrases here) as: "It jammed on the first magazine", or "It didn't lock back after the first magazine" or "It kicked real hard, and it failed to eject (a/k/a had a stovepipe jam)".

It has appeared to me, correctly or not, that folks who post comments like this about brand-spankin'-new, straight-outa-the-box pistols may not understand the concept of breaking in a new pistol and its mags, or more importantly what to expect during the process - especially that even the best-quality guns sometimes do NOT perform flawlessly right out of the box and take a few hundred rounds to settle down. And, if it's true that they are not knowledgeable about this fact, then they probably also may not be far enough along with shooting to be using decent form (e.g.: limpwristing), which can really show up on tiny and powerful guns like the Combat Master. Nothing wrong with that - we all have to start somewhere, and I'm not that much farther along, so not a value judgement - just point out something that sorta occurred to me. I found very few (and in fact I can't specifically remember any) negative comments about these guns from folks whose posts suggested to me that they have substantial shooting experience.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; November 10th, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

I have an older Detonics and its GREAT

My father is allowing me the privledge of using and carrying his detonics. I think it is a Mark V maybe, its the one that looks just like the new combat master with the shot 6 round grip and short barrel in stainless with the ambi safety. I shot it in IDPA competition and it was surprisingly accurate for a 3.5" barrel and a short sight radius. There is no grip safety or beavertail which I wouldn't mind if it had, but I really like it. I will try and post some pics later. Its a great carry gun, although I don't really understand moving the rear sight forward and scooping out the top fo the slide.

Have fun with your new gun.

~Dingle

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle1911
    My father is allowing me the privledge of using and carrying his detonics. I think it is a Mark V maybe, its the one that looks just like the new combat master with the shot 6 round grip and short barrel in stainless with the ambi safety. I shot it in IDPA competition and it was surprisingly accurate for a 3.5" barrel and a short sight radius. There is no grip safety or beavertail which I wouldn't mind if it had, but I really like it. I will try and post some pics later. Its a great carry gun, although I don't really understand moving the rear sight forward and scooping out the top fo the slide.

Have fun with your new gun.

~Dingle
    Thanks, Dingle. It is my understanding that the purpose behind scalloping out the frame like that was to let folks carry the pistol with the hammer down on an empty chamber and then cock the pistol when drawn, but that's only hearsay. Some folks are okay with that sort of thing, and of course others are not.

Is the pistol you are using bright stainless, or matte? If the latter, it may be a Mark VI, and if not, a Mark V.

Best,
    Jon

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    The mid 70's? I was born in 1977!!! Of course I don't remember.
    Thanks, hell I got holsters older than that.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Congrats Jon.
    Like QK, I had two back "in the day."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Detonics Pics

Here are some pics of the Detonics. I was wrong the pistol is a Mark VI. I have also heard that the slide was scooped out so that you can carry it hammer down. I have tried to draw and then cock the hammer and I found it very hard to do. I carry the Detonics just like I carry all my other 1911's, cocked and locked. Sorry for the fingerprints, although it is a carry gun. Like I said before, the gun shoots great.

Enjoy the pics.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the pics Dingle - interesting ejection port profile!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Wow that is a wild ejection port profile way deep

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Thanks, hell I got holsters older than that.

So don't I LOl.....I have a few holsters that might be as old as I am, cuz I bought em used

I had never noticed that the ejection port profile is different. I went on the Detonics website and the new ones don't look like that. Interesting.

Things are continuing to look up. Just talked with a friend who spoke with the captain of his county's sheriff's department swat team. He said they just completed trials of the a Detonics USA full-size model, and it went 30,000 rounds without a burp, and that the Combat Master tested out just as well.

Here's a report that shows good results for the Combat Master. The tester is a career law-enforcement officer:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...=001078#000000

Best,
    Jon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links