Well, I plunked it down ....

This is a discussion on Well, I plunked it down .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bud White Wow that is a wild ejection port profile way deep Guys, that's how the Detonics guns came. Back in their ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, I plunked it down ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Wow that is a wild ejection port profile way deep
    Guys, that's how the Detonics guns came. Back in their time, it was THE hot setup (the ejection port)
    The Detonics guns were, AND still are, very desirable. They shoot well, feed almost everything, and are VERY hidable. Their weight had a tendency to be an issue, BUT as a defense weapon, they're TOPS in their field.. Just that so many other Manufacurers out there are making hidout guns, make the Detonics take a back seat at times. Take a good look at one, next time you run across one, and I think you'll think about taking it home.. (Just an old Detonics fan here)

2. Remove Ads

More info posted ... WOW!

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...;f=56;t=001078

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Check the above-referenced thread again. It just keeps gettin' better.

Best,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    Check the above-referenced thread again. It just keeps gettin' better.

Best,
    Jon
    If you look at the newer Detonics guns that are made today, you'll find they don't have that flaired ejection port as the older ones do. I never had a FTF or FTE in my Detonics guns (and I've had several)
    They seem to favor the 185 Gr JHP round. Less recoil and faster back on target too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    If you look at the newer Detonics guns that are made today, you'll find they don't have that flaired ejection port as the older ones do. I never had a FTF or FTE in my Detonics guns (and I've had several)
    They seem to favor the 185 Gr JHP round. Less recoil and faster back on target too.
    Interesting info, Class. Interesting in that I have been trying to tax my brain on a series of post about light- versus heavy-weight .45 slugs in shorter barreled pistols.

Best,
    Jon

OH... I ... am ... BUMMED!

They shipped my Combat Master to the FFL-holder here in Montgomery, AL. Problem is, they shipped it to the FFL holder's old address - they pulled his old FFL out of their file rather than the new one. I took the bull by the horns and tracked things down. The person who received it is not even with a gun company. Long story short, DHL had to retrieve the package and return it to the seller in Utah for complete reshipping so that the paperwork would explain the delay between sending and my reciept, and they'll then have to send it back to the correct address here in Montgomery.

Oh well. Stuff happens. I guess I'll be okay with my LWC until it arrives.

Best,
    Jon

Assistant Administrator
    That sux Jon!!!

I remember (tho not gun related) when a new windshield for my bike coupla years ago - never arrived and on chasing up - turned out it had gone to NY! Had to re-order darned thing and then fortunately, supplier took it all up with UPS and I got the item and refund.

It's worse tho with a gun going AWOL - oh the pain of waiting!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Interesting info, Class. Interesting in that I have been trying to tax my brain on a series of post about light- versus heavy-weight .45 slugs in shorter barreled pistols.

Best,
    Jon
    Hi Jon
    I've had VERY GOOD results with the 185 GR variety of ammo for that tiny Detonics gun The 185Gr Hydra Shoks should work VERY WELL in it as a defense weapon. The guns themselves are a bity on the heavy side, but it's due to the steel frame/steel slide. You really need it in order to be able to handle the small size of the weapon. I'm positive you'll really enjoy it, andif not, send it my way, as I'll give it a good home
    BTW, try cerrying the standard mag in the gun, along with the 8 rnd Colt or Wilson mags for extra firepower, in case you need it

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Hi Jon
    I've had VERY GOOD results with the 185 GR variety of ammo for that tiny Detonics gun The 185Gr Hydra Shoks should work VERY WELL in it as a defense weapon. The guns themselves are a bity on the heavy side, but it's due to the steel frame/steel slide. You really need it in order to be able to handle the small size of the weapon. I'm positive you'll really enjoy it, andif not, send it my way, as I'll give it a good home
    BTW, try cerrying the standard mag in the gun, along with the 8 rnd Colt or Wilson mags for extra firepower, in case you need it
    If it performs as well as I anticipate, I'll probably just carry 230 grainers. Roger the carry mag. My backups are all Cobras. I love 'em!

Best,
    Jon

Combat Master arrived after having been shipped to the wrong address, returned to the seller, and reshipped. It looks good, except for the front sight is so loose I can slide it right out of the dovetail. I emailed Detonics, and within 10 minutes I had a call from Jerry Ahern (not a return email - a CALL) apologizing and asking me to return the slide and that they'd repair, and send it back ASAP, and asking if there was anything else they could do to make me happy.

Nice customer service, huh?

I declined saying that I'm gonna add a front tritium anyway.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; November 22nd, 2005 at 03:30 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    Glad it made it Jon Nice offer re slide repair but as you say - if going tritium, no point - encouraging CS tho anyways.

Re the ''other aspect" - - which I caught pre edit - <cough> LOL! Say no more Rule #1 - and more rule #1!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Glad it made it Jon Nice offer re slide repair but as you say - if going tritium, no point - encouraging CS tho anyways.

Re the ''other aspect" - - which I caught pre edit - <cough> LOL! Say no more Rule #1 - and more rule #1!
    Yes, the reason I pulled that out was not b/c of untruth, but b/c of lack of verfication that what the local FFL guy said was accurate - it seems that the factory says something else, and I don't want to precipitate anything, whether positive or negative, without first-hand knowledge.

Best,
    Jon

Assistant Administrator
    I realized that Jon - diplomacy and all that
    Chris - P95

Combat Master arrived after having been shipped to the wrong address, returned to the seller, and reshipped. It looks good, except for the front sight is so loose I can slide it right out of the dovetail. I emailed Detonics, and within 10 minutes I had a call from Jerry Ahern (not a return email - a CALL) apologizing and asking me to return the slide and that they'd repair, and send it back ASAP, and asking if there was anything else they could do to make me happy.

Nice customer service, huh?

I declined saying that I'm gonna add a front tritium anyway.

Best,
    Jon
    OOooooo..Jon....did ya ask Jerry if he'd install Tritiums for you at a reduced price? Knowing how good he is.. I know he would have done that for you, or even given you the sights for good will.
    It's not too late to place a call to him, and ask. What do you have to lose? just a call.

Good suggestion, but I have inadvertently caused THEM some problems unrelated to the sight, and I would not feel right asking for a freebee.

Based on what they've shown me so far, I have no doubt that they take customer service very, very seriously. Jerry was most concerned about the sight and made several offers to take care of it, but I saw no reason to make 'em do that with my changing it out anyway. And, I even got a follow-up email from Peter Dunn! I had a 1911 built recently by a very well known builder, and I can tell you this - THOSE guys ought to go out to Detonics and learn what customer service is supposed to be.

I shot my CombatMaster yesterday without a burp. I shot it again today with an assortment of mags (all oversized) including no-name, Colt, Kimber, Springfield and Cobra, and all of 'em worked fine.

I can't believe the accuracy of this little pistol.

I LIKE this gun!

Best,
    Jon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links