Well, I plunked it down .... - Page 4

Well, I plunked it down ....

This is a discussion on Well, I plunked it down .... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad it all worked out well for you Jon. Yes, That little Gem ya got there will serve you VERY well. As I recall, Federal ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Well, I plunked it down ....

Glad it all worked out well for you Jon.
    Yes, That little Gem ya got there will serve you VERY well. As I recall, Federal Hydra Shoks worked well in my Combat Master. I've seen a couple of them with that Pachmyer slip-on in order to give the shooter a little more grip on the gun. You may want to try one on for size, even if you need to trim it, if it feels good on the gun..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Glad it showed up ... i would like to see those grips might be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    I'm just gonna run my customary stair tape tape on the front strap until I have time to get a little stippling done. Don't tell anyone though, okay?

I'll tell ya what I WISH I could find - for ALL my 1911s - awhile back, I saw an article on some 1911 grips that were designed for a well-known writer (Wiley Clapp maybe?) that were thicker on the back than on the front. In other words, if you turned the pistol over and looked straight down the magwell, the grips I'm talking about would make the grip more of a teardrop with the thicker part toward the back of the pistol than the more-columnar shape given by standard grips (does my description make any sense whatsoever?)

Any idea of a source for grips like that?

Best,
    Jon

hum how did my post end up above yours

I'm just gonna run my customary stair tape tape on the front strap until I have time to get a little stippling done. Don't tell anyone though, okay?

I'll tell ya what I WISH I could find - for ALL my 1911s - awhile back, I saw an article on some 1911 grips that were designed for a well-known writer (Wiley Clapp maybe?) that were thicker on the back than on the front. In other words, if you turned the pistol over and looked straight down the magwell, the grips I'm talking about would make the grip more of a teardrop with the thicker part toward the back of the pistol than the more-columnar shape given by standard grips (does my description make any sense whatsoever?)

Any idea of a source for grips like that?

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    hum how did my post end up above yours
    Heck, I dunno! Check with a moderator ...

... oh, wait, ... you are one.

Best,
    Jon

<flicking fingers at the screen> I just "made it happen" Bud..........LOL <JK>

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Glad it showed up ... i would like to see those grips might be nice
    Bud - I did a little web search, and the grips were, in fact, suggested by Wiley Clapp. Near as I can figger from what little I've read on the web, Clapp must've gotten Ted Yost to build the grips when Yost was still with Gunsite. I couldn't find the grips on Gunsite's website, but there is a photo at least of them on the yost-bonitz site. Here they are (bottom left)

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/photos/1911/

I bet they make the pistol feel a bit like a BHP. Whatta ya think?

Best,
    Jon

I had the chance to give my new Combat Master a little workout, and let me say I am a'mighty impressed. The pistol functioned flawlessly, and it was amazingly accurate; I kept all my Gold Dots within 2-3 inches at slightly less than full speed at 7 yards. Many of you can beat that I know, but for me, it's a good performance.

Out of curiosity, I also tried a host of other mags I had on hand. These included the single Detonics mag that came with the pistol, Tripp Cobra, Kimber, Colt and Brand X (no name). All those other than the Detonics were full-sized mags and had NO spacers installed. I shot Pro Load and Speer, both loaded with Gold Dots, Blazer and Georgia Arms Not a burp or hiccup - not a single one.

The only problem that I have with the pistol (mY problem, not the pistol's) is that the bottom right corner of the frame (I am right-handed) really digs into the center of my pencil-pusher hand. I expect that I will be able to remedy that with a little melt job. That's one of the things that I'll get Cylinder and Slide to do when I send the pistol off (once I can bear to part with it) to also have their SFS system, arched mainspring housing, and front tritium site installed.

Oh, and also, I just couldn't stand it - here is a photo of the mastadon slim grips I just ordered.

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    Good to hear that Jon - funny tho cos - and danged if I remember which thread - someone was being quite disparaging about Detonics!!!

Sounds like you got a real keeper there tho
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon
    Bud - I did a little web search, and the grips were, in fact, suggested by Wiley Clapp. Near as I can figger from what little I've read on the web, Clapp must've gotten Ted Yost to build the grips when Yost was still with Gunsite. I couldn't find the grips on Gunsite's website, but there is a photo at least of them on the yost-bonitz site. Here they are (bottom left)

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/photos/1911/

I bet they make the pistol feel a bit like a BHP. Whatta ya think?

Best,
    Jon
    Ted Yost and Lew Bonitz are among the best in the business if not the best there is in the 1911 world and gun's, rifles in general. I have a Ti-Carry (titanium caspian commander frame and commander slide) that has an ETA of July or August 2006 but probably more like September - October. I hate waiting.

Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Good to hear that Jon - funny tho cos - and danged if I remember which thread - someone was being quite disparaging about Detonics!!!

Sounds like you got a real keeper there tho

Yes, I have heard that too, but about the older Detonics (not D-USA guns), and only some of them at that. Near as I can remember (could be wrong), part of the trouble may have been that they changed inhouse smiths, locations, parts selections, and a ton of other stuff that just took 'em on out of the reliability picture. Everything I have read about D-USA guns, though, is superb, and again, mine flat does it.

Best,
    Jon

Glad to see that report from you Jon! I had NO doubt that you'd enjoy that fine weapon.. Shoots like Gangbusters!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links