Slide "Won't Rack Back" -- Beretta 92fs

This is a discussion on Slide "Won't Rack Back" -- Beretta 92fs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has popped up the last two times at the range: Sometimes at the end of my magazine, the slide doesn't stay "racked back." The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slide "Won't Rack Back" -- Beretta 92fs

Slide "Won't Rack Back" -- Beretta 92fs

This has popped up the last two times at the range:

Sometimes at the end of my magazine, the slide doesn't stay "racked back." The first time I thought I had a misfire (because I clicked on an empty chamber). The guys at the range suggested it might be the fairly old magazine I was using. Today, though, I had my other, newer magazine, and it was not racking back on that one either. I experimented for a while (loading just one round). It refused to rack back about 1-in-5 times on both magazines.

I'm using Winchester white box. They also suggested it might be the ammo, but in December I put about 700 rounds of that lousy Wolf ammo through it with few problems and none like this.

I will also admit that I've put 300 rounds of ammo through it since I last cleaned it two weeks ago. It's getting cleaned tomorrow. 300 rounds seems like chump change, though, to create this kind of a problem.

Of course, it's not really a huge problem, in that I'll have sixteen rounds before it matters in any defensive situation... which is as much as a lot of people *with* their extra mags. Still, anytime my handgun functions at less than 100%, I'm uncomfortable.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    You could try a slightly lighter recoil spring and see if that solves the problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Does it lock back if you hold the lever up manually?

Clean the gun...you would be surprised how smooth it shoots after cleaning. My XD .45 will do that very occasionally if I have not cleaned it prior to shooting. I don't always clean it after shooting...yeah, yeah I know! It is such a reliable gun that I almost don't want to clean it!!!

Senior Moderator
    Also, make sure your grip position isn't causing your thumb to touch the slide release.

If you are applying even a little pressure to the release, the slide isn't going to lock back.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

check hand position. If you have a high grip with your thumbs over each other pointing in the same direction of the barrell, you will engage the slide stop/release--thus, the slide will NOT lock back on an empty mag.

Try a lower grip or drop the thumbs down slightly.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Thanks guys. Very helpful ideas. I'll clean it today, check my grip (thumbs forward rather than stacked, generally), and see how things go next time at the range (will be a week or so). I'll keep the recoil spring in mind if that doesn't work.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Administrator
    Take a look at how far away from your firearm your brass is getting chucked.
    If it's only a few feet then that would be a good indicator to switch to a slightly lighter recoil spring 'cause if the ammo you're shooting has a velocity less than NATO MIL std of 1250 fps then your spring may be too strong.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I know a bunch of guys at the range I go to are having trouble with WWB. Try different ammo.

I experienced the same/similiar thing with my P229....my thumbs were too high...it is easy to do. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Could be weak mag springs. Even with a new mag - maybe got a lemon mag? I replaced mine in my 92FS when that happened & they work fine now.

i bet one dollar that cleaning it fixes the problem

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    +1

If the gun functioned fine before on the Wolf ammo and you haven't put a heavier recoil spring in since then, it might not be that. Unless the Wolf was a +P and the WWB isn't, I don't think the Wolf would be that much hotter of a load to make the difference.

When you clean it, I'd just make sure to clean the grooves on the slide really good, you'd be amazed how much grit gets in there. Then finish it up with a good grease on the slide instead of oil and work the slide several times to get the grease in good. If you don't already do that to begin with.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
    Being Bulldog's father, I would like to collect that dollar if that's not the problem.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Being Bulldog's father, I would like to collect that dollar if that's not the problem.
    If it is the problem will you give Bulldog a smack behind the head for not caring for his gun properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links