Ultra CDP vs Ultra Carry vs Ultra Raptor

This is a discussion on Ultra CDP vs Ultra Carry vs Ultra Raptor within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than asthetics, can anyone tell the difference between the 3 kimbers? Quality and reliability-wise, are the three guns comparable, or is one type a ...

Thread: Ultra CDP vs Ultra Carry vs Ultra Raptor

Ultra CDP vs Ultra Carry vs Ultra Raptor

Other than asthetics, can anyone tell the difference between the 3 kimbers? Quality and reliability-wise, are the three guns comparable, or is one type a lemon and one a star? I know there is a difference in sights on the Ultra carry, as some don;t come with standard night-sights. I was in Gander today and saw the Ultra-carry for $200 less than the ultra raptor, and the Ultra cdp was 200 more than the ultra-raptor and $400 more than the Ultra carry. I am considering one of the three for purchase and can't seem to figure out why the huge price difference. I know the Ultra cdp has "Custom" on the slide, but what justifies the huge price difference in the three models?
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Other than asthetics, can anyone tell the difference between the 3 kimbers? Quality and reliability-wise, are the three guns comparable, or is one type a lemon and one a star? I know there is a difference in sights on the Ultra carry, as some don;t come with standard night-sights. I was in Gander today and saw the Ultra-carry for $200 less than the ultra raptor, and the Ultra cdp was 200 more than the ultra-raptor and $400 more than the Ultra carry. I am considering one of the three for purchase and can't seem to figure out why the huge price difference. I know the Ultra cdp has "Custom" on the slide, but what justifies the huge price difference in the three models?

Cost difference is all in the options. It's sights, checkering, ambi safeties, etc.

Regarding which is more reliable, they will either run or they won't no one Kimber model is guaranteed to run better than the other. One of my CDPs was a POC regardless of the "Custom Shop" written on the slide, one of others was a non custom and was not as big a POC but was still crap, our other two CDPs were fine.

It's all about what you want, personally, I don't care for the looks of the Raptor II, and I like checkering so I'd have to go with the CDP.

The plain ole' Ultra is just too basic for the $$$ if you ask me.

**Edited to add, you can look at Kimber's website and see the differences in features from gun to gun.

I have the Ultra CDP II...and I think it is the nicest of the three...OMO...smooth edges, Mep night sights...mine has never caused a problem...it is more accurate than I am.

Stay armed...think Ultra...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you want a 3" 1911 go with a Colt Defender.

ranburr

I was down to the same 3 choices, and I went with the Ultra Carry. It just felt better in my hand. Runs like a top straight out of the box and I love it. I have the Grand Raptor but just couldn't warm up to the Ultra Raptor and I didn't like the checkering on the CDP.

IMO, I didn't need or want the ambi safety, I didn't like the front checkering of the CDP, and I liked the sights on the Ultra Carry just fine, so I went with the better value and the better feel for me. As always, YMMV.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links