Kahr K40

This is a discussion on Kahr K40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious. Have read a lot of post from K40 owners from various Forums that state that they wholeheartedly agree that the K40 is a ...

Thread: Kahr K40

Kahr K40

Just curious. Have read a lot of post from K40 owners from various Forums that state that they wholeheartedly agree that the K40 is a fine weapos but they also admit they don't shoot it much?

Can anyone speculate as to why?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Remove Ads

I use a CW9 and have no problems with practicing often with it. All I can think of is the cost of 40 S&W ammo is more than a 9 mm.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

Recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    ...the K40 is a fine weapon but they also admit they don't shoot it much? Can anyone speculate as to why?
    The K40 weighs about 25 ounces and has a narrow grip. Perhaps the recoil of .40 ammo in the gun makes it somewhat unpleasant to shoot?

I have 3 guns in .40 caliber and find that I shoot the Sig P229 the most. It weighs 32 ounces and has a wider grip because of its double stack magazine, so it is comfortable to shoot 100 rounds from it at one range session. Most .40 ammo has a sharp recoil in a lighter weight gun.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

most people that have small guns with larger calibre ammo shoot them just enough to remain proficient due to recoil,in a SD situation you probably won't shoot over a magazine unless you are in a gun fight with several BG's
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    most people that have small guns with larger calibre ammo shoot them just enough to remain proficient due to recoil,in a SD situation you probably won't shoot over a magazine unless you are in a gun fight with several BG's
    +1.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The K40 weighs about 25 ounces and has a narrow grip. Perhaps the recoil of .40 ammo in the gun makes it somewhat unpleasant to shoot?

I have 3 guns in .40 caliber and find that I shoot the Sig P229 the most. It weighs 32 ounces and has a wider grip because of its double stack magazine, so it is comfortable to shoot 100 rounds from it at one range session. Most .40 ammo has a sharp recoil in a lighter weight gun.

Do you CC your P229 or is it your range gun? I do have a P220 that gets it's share of range time plus I use it as a night stand piece.

Dave

Cody said:

Just curious. Have read a lot of post from K40 owners from various Forums that state that they wholeheartedly agree that the K40 is a fine weapos but they also admit they don't shoot it much?
    I can only imagine that it is connected to the discomfort of shooting a powerful load in a small gun, which some people don't relish that much.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoy shooting my K40s. In my opinion, they are pussycats as far as recoil is concerned. Very controllable and accurate.

The recoil is about the same as an S&W 640-3 .357 firing brisk .38 +P loads. Well, perhaps I should say that the level of pleasantness/unpleasantness is about the same; the 640's recoil may in reality be a little less (not sure about ft-lbs or anything technical), but the poorer ergonomics of the J-frame (when wearing small wooden boot grips, which are the only J-frame grips I practice with) help introduce some additional discomfort that brings it right up to, if not past, the discomfort level of the Kahr. Actually, it's worth pointing out that more than 100 rounds of .38 +P in the J-frame will give me blisters on my trigger finger and web of my hand, whereas I've never gotten a single blister, or even significant soreness, from firing 200+ rounds of 180-grain FMJ .40 from the K40. As I've mentioned, there is of course a difference between getting hurt by the gun because of poor ergonomics and simply experiencing a lot of recoil from a powerful load, which recoil can often be handled very well if the grip is shaped nicely and conforms to the hand.

So, I think 640 does a poorer job of helping the shooter handle the recoil than the K40 does with its nicely shaped, though small, grip. No particular reason why I mention the J-frame here except as a handy reference point that many people will be familiar with.

Do you already own a K40, Cody, or are you doing research before buying one? Or just plain curious?

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    Cody said:
    Do you already own a K40, Cody, or are you doing research before buying one? Or just plain curious?
    I am in the research stage. I have always like the appearance of the K40. With it being made of SS there is no doubt in my mind that it could handle +P ammo all day. I am not recoil shy, have owned a 10mm, a few .45acp's, .480 Ruger SRH and .375H&H (Ruger #1) over the years. I always focus on the target at hand and recoil is a moot point!

I think the K40 would make for a fine CC or OC piece and I would not feel undergunned with 6+1....

You make good points in your post, thanks...

Dave

The K40 is my primary carry gun, and has been for a couple of years. Range time is monthly, at a minimum, 50 to 100 rds per trip. Excellent track record, great weapon. More than 100 rds in a session causes my wrist to ache a bit, but the recoil is more than tolerable. In my opinion, a fine tool.
    God Bless the USA

The only problem that I had with my K40 was that the left side rear of the frame just under the slide would "pop" me at the base of the thumb. I was used to a thumb over thumb hold because of being a 1911 shooter. I solved that by placing the right thumb down onto the left side grip panel and then placing my left thumb over it, locking the right thumb down. I have a K9 that I purchased after the K40 and I have to use the same hold. In all honesty I cannot tell any difference between the K40 and the K9 recoilwise. I have a CW9 that did the same thing until I reshaped the left frame corner some with sandpaper. Started out with 100 grit and ended with 800 grit to smooth things out. The CW9, at approx 10 ozs less than the K series, is not fun to shoot for any extended period.

Links