What to get?

What to get?

This is a discussion on What to get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok my birthday is coming up here soon. My wife has suprised the heck out of me and offered up $300.00 for another handgun. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get?

What to get?

Ok my birthday is coming up here soon. My wife has suprised the heck out of me and offered up $300.00 for another handgun.
    I am very very fond of XD SC but that is out of the spending range. I think she will go up to 350.00 but not too much more

Are there any nice 3" guns out there that are 9mm or .40 for around that price and about the same feeling as a XD?
    I did get to handle a S&W Sigma today but it did feel a bit odd

Have you thought about using the $300 as a down payment on a layaway? That'd open up a whole lot more options.
    Jack

If you don't want to do a layaway plan, then the only options I can think of would be the Kel Tec brand of pistols or perhaps the Taurus brand if you look hard enough.

You should find something in that price range with either line that will serve you well. Good luck.
    God bless our troops!

You can find a used XD at a gunshow for around the $350 mark if you look around. I paid 350 plus tax for my XD9 service and it's been flawless(probably about a year ago). The SC is going to be hard to swing, but you can look around.

Unfortunately, 350 just doesn't go that far anymore. You are definitely going to be looking for something used. You can take a look at the following links as that will put you in the ball park, but I really would try to save up a little more money to go along with her 300-350.

GunBroker.com guns: Taurus 908 9mm USED (item: 103140359 ends: Jul-08-08 01:52:22 PM)
    GunBroker.com guns: Kel Tec P-11 P11 9mm Pistol w/ 1 Mag Double Stack (item: 103269630 ends: Jun-30-08 1057 PM)

Well, unfortunately, I wasn't able to find very many links to guns in that price range. You can check out pawn shops and gunshows. If you're stuck at that price range, a used revolver might be a better fit.

As price range goes down it becomes a lot more difficult to get a reliable semi-auto vs a reliable revolver.

Best of luck to you...
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; June 30th, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    if 300.00 doesn't pay for the firearm you want, don't settle for something that isn't what you want just because you can afford it.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

take the $300, save for a while, and buy a Glock.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I'd go to the Used counter and look for a Used Model 10 S&W if it were me.

One without a "Hillary Hole" with a 4" Barrel. You may get lucky and find a Police Trade in.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I second this suggestion.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Check auctionarms.com when ya see something you like in your price range submit a bid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are several bersa,S&W,and Berettas on auctionarms just doing a quick glance in your price range,but like others have said if there is something you really like save up for it buying a gun because it's all you can afford right then may cause you to regret it later ,if you have a concealed firearm right now then work on getting your dream gun next,my problem is everytime I think I have all I need something else comes on the market
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Buy some Gold
    "Just blame Sixto"

Forgot to mention...check Summit Gun Broker he frequently has some great deals.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Well with a trade in at a local gun shop i ordered a Taurus III .40 cal i really liked the way it felt very simular to a XD SC. I dont know the exact # of the gun but they had a 9mm there that just felt great in the hand.
    I had a ol 10/22 that they gave me $175 trade in value on so i walked out the door today for $252.00 i cant wait till wends so i can pick it up along with some practice ammo and some nice hollow points.

Next is picking out a holster and finally doing my CCW class

Administrator
    They took care of you on the 10/22, thats more than the new wholesale price.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 30th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Take the $300, save for a while, and buy an Ed Brown Kobra Carry.

OK, don't wait that long, but find something that really appeals to you. Remember, you want to be able to talk about how great it is when your wife asks, and be able to brag to your buddies about how your wife got you this great handgun. You'll really impress her with that approach.

[Just saw I was late with my reply -- it always helps to read page 2! Good trade on the 10/22!]
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links