XD-M

XD-M

This is a discussion on XD-M within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you consider carrying this piece as a CC or OC weapon? I haven't fired one yet but held one in my hand and the ...

Thread: XD-M

XD-M

Would you consider carrying this piece as a CC or OC weapon? I haven't fired one yet but held one in my hand and the fit is nothing more than perfect, very well balanced in my hand anyway. I just wonder if one could use it as a CC piece or would it be better suited in a night stand given it's size. Since I live in a OC State I could see using this as soley a OC piece and nightstand weapon. It would make for a fine range weapon that is for sure.

Your thoughts please...

Dave

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    there is alot of consider with your question...your physical size, your method of carry, your carry location, your carry rig, if you feel comfortable carrying a firearm of that size...I think the xdm is only a 4'' at this point, which there is alot of people that carry something the same or similar.
    OC is a whole different discussion...and one that you have to be comfortable with.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

For an OC or a HD night stand pistol this is a good choice. In wintertime it would be okay for CC, but in summertime weather you may want something a little more concealable like a Ruger LCP or a S&W 642.
    God bless our troops!

I went shooting with my friend this weekend. I am pretty proficient at telling when people are armed. He was concealing his XD45 IWB at 2:30. I could NOT tell. It all depends on your frame, the gun, and most of all, the holster. Happy hunting!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Actually I carry a Glock 23....approximately the same size as an xd-m in all weather. That includes Summer. I use a Don Hume IWB w/sweat shield. We have four distince seasons here and summers can be humid and brutal. A pocket gun would be more convenient but not necessary. You can comfortably carry CC w/the right belt and holster. I do it all the time with a t-shirt (IWB) and cargo shorts. Good luck in your decision.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Actually I carry a Glock 23....approximately the same size as an xd-m in all weather. That includes Summer. I use a Don Hume IWB w/sweat shield. We have four distince seasons here and summers can be humid and brutal. A pocket gun would be more convenient but not necessary. You can comfortably carry CC w/the right belt and holster. I do it all the time with a t-shirt (IWB) and cargo shorts. Good luck in your decision.
    I know the OAL of the G23 is 6.85" with a barrel length of 4.02" but don't know what the OAL of the XD-M is? The XD-M has a 4.5" barrel so my guess is that it would have an greater OAL length than the G23. I would like to see the numbers of the .40 cal coming out of a 4.5" barrel

My guess is it would be well suited for a range gun given the weight of the piece it would be a hoot to shoot. I could also see it sleeping in my night stand keeping the household safe. I could also see it as a OC Piece cause size would not matter when one could OC

However, trying to conceal this large piece might be an issue for some folks... Just my nickel(inflation)...

Dave

You can easily conceal it with the right belt, holster and dress.

ranburr

Grip length should be of more concern than barrel length if holstered IWB... That's why the M&P Compact is sweetness for conceal carry.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    You can easily conceal it with the right belt, holster and dress.

ranburr
    Dresses, especially if you wear the silky ruffley kind, are GREAT for concealing. Ranburr is absolutely right!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I have been carrying my XDM daily in a crossbreed supertuck since I tested it at the range and gave it its initial cleaning. The barrel is actually 4.5", but has been as easy for me to carry as my old XD40 or XD45 service and only marginally less so than my XD9SC. I would recommend it as a carry piece based on my experiences thus far, but as has already been stated, your personal needs and fit are going to be a primary factor in what will work for you for daily carry.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'll CC an XDm eventually - it won't be much of a change from my 4" XD40.

Sponsored Links