Kimber Aegis Ultra vs. Springfield EMP

This is a discussion on Kimber Aegis Ultra vs. Springfield EMP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately I've been torn. I love to shoot a 1911 and I love 45acp. The only problem is my bank account doesn't like 45acp now ...

Thread: Kimber Aegis Ultra vs. Springfield EMP

Kimber Aegis Ultra vs. Springfield EMP

Lately I've been torn. I love to shoot a 1911 and I love 45acp. The only problem is my bank account doesn't like 45acp now that its over $30 for a 100 box of winchester white box. Because of ammo costs, I usually leave my 45's at home. I think that with an aegis or the emp I could feel like I could afford to shoot a 1911 again. At the same time getting a 1911 in something other than 45 has me a little leary. I know that 1911's under 4" are prone to malfunctions. Is this the case when in 9mm? Does 9mm work good in a platform originally made for 45? Im leaning towards the Aegis because I already own two Kimbers and so far I haven't had a problem with either. Anyone with experience with either gun?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bmwaddicted View Post
    I know that 1911's under 4" are prone to malfunctions. Is this the case when in 9mm? Does 9mm work good in a platform originally made for 45?
    I got an EMP a couple of weeks ago. IIRC, every part but 3 was scaled down to make the pistol as small as possible in the 1911 form factor yet still able to operate with 9mm.

The first time I tried to empty and clear the EMP, it wouldn't eject an unfired cartridge. It just got hung up slightly right of the chamber. I sent it back to SA (lifetime warranty - they even paid shipping), and it came back a few days later with some paperwork that said "TUNED EJECTOR, testED". Works fine now.

In my first 100 rounds, I had one FTF with 115g FMJ. I'll run another 100 rds through it tonight and see how it performs. So far it's very accurate and easy to get back on target shot to shot.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

The EMP is a very well made gun. I chose it over the Kimber for two reasons. One, it has a true 9mm sized grip. Secondly, I don't like the Schwartz style firing pin safety that Kimber uses.

ranburr

My advice is the EMP. I had the same choice to make just after they came out and that was my course of action. I have 600-700 rounds thru it and it's very accurate and reliable. I think side by side the company & brand of Springfield is better than Kimber. (I've seen alot more posts about problems w/ Kimber)
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I'd pick the Kimber, unless you're just looking for a scaled-down 1911-style handgun.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Love my EMP, hada few ftf initially with some HP's. However, since the initial break-in, no problems at all. Round count now around 900. Great gun, feels like it was made for my hand, and fun to take to the range.

No experience with the Kimber.

EAJ

Thumbs up

No experience with the Kimber, but I do have three SA 1911's and a EMP.

I also have the EMP and yet to have any malfunctions it is a very nice shooter.

Owned 'em both...the Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm is better than either of 'em. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisE View Post
    Owned 'em both...the Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm is better than either of 'em. Dennis
    How so? I have been debating the 1911 style 9mm and didn't know the Ultra CDP was even an option. Why this one over the others?

I had no clue that the CDP was offered in 9mm. Thank you dennis for letting me know. I have a CDP pro in 45 that I love so I think I'll probobly go that way. I like the aegis but hated the bobbed hammer and shorter thumb safety. With the CDP in 9mm Im getting everything I would change on the aegis stock.

they are both great. i personally have the aegis and love it. but i would be happy with either. there are a few small differances, but unless u really need and amb safety, or care about any of the other little things, doesnt matter much. id say if u are used to the kimbers than go with that.
    wont go wrong either way
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Links