Female Cousins New Gun

This is a discussion on Female Cousins New Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my cousin used me to take her to the big bad gun store and help her pick out a gun. She narrowed it down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Cousins New Gun

Female Cousins New Gun

So my cousin used me to take her to the big bad gun store and help her pick out a gun. She narrowed it down to a PX4 and a Sig p250. She ended up picking the p250. Of the two I think she made the right choice. Now I need to find her a decent range holster, and become somewhat familiar with the manual of arms. Does anybody here have any experience with these guns? I am probably going to be teaching her the basics. She is not going to be CCW anytime soon. Thanks in advance.

BTW Sorry I do not have pictures. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Hope she enjoys her new found friend
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The P250 manual of arms is pretty simple. It's a DAO gun that should go bang every time you pull the trigger. It should be the same as any semi-auto pistol, really. No decocker or safety to get used to. I know a few of our resident holster makers have P250 molds by now (I am pretty sure, at least). SIG makes their own paddle holster for it, so that's a start.

By all reports it should be a great shooter!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I am a Glock man by trade. I understand DAO and actually prefer it. I know SIG is qualiyt and they would not be putting out inferior guns. I am just looking for any advanced advice anybody can offer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I am a Glock man by trade. I understand DAO and actually prefer it. I know SIG is qualiyt and they would not be putting out inferior guns. I am just looking for any advanced advice anybody can offer.
    IMHO SIG 250 is to NEW to make a accurate assessment on either in favor or against.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I've had very good reliability with the SIG's I own and have sold, but those SIG's have been in production for quite some time. I hope the SIG P250 becomes another great gun for SIG, but only time will tell.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Lead Moderator
    The 250 is "new" enough that you probably won't have a large choice in holsters yet. On the plus side it's a SIG and most the the reviews/comments have been positive.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

As far as manual of arms, of course the owner's manual is good, but here is a promo video. The first half explains operation and the second half shows detailed field strip and reassembly.

YouTube - SIG SAUER P250 Introduction
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

good for her. I would have a SIG if I could justify the extra cost compared to a Glock ;-). eyeing a SIG239 or subcompact SIG250 in the long run.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Administrator
    For a range holster you might as well buy a Blackhawk SERPA for now. $48.00
    That should serve her decently well as an immediately available rig.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    For a range holster you might as well buy a Blackhawk SERPA for now. $48.00
    That should serve her decently well as an immediately available rig.
    +1 on the Serpas. If you have not tried one yet I suggest picking one up. Whatever you do don't pay the extra for the fake-o carbon fiber. Other than that, tell her congratulations for me and shoot safe!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I handled one. It feels awesome in the hand just like any Sig. I would like to pick one up down the road. The only thing that I didn't like was that the back of the slide looks like it will collect a lot of dust bunnys that can work their way into the gun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Administrator
    I have a T&E sitting on my desk right now that I got direct of Sig. I love the Sig "P" series, but I got to say, I'm not impressed with the 250, or any of the Sig polymers. I don't think this will be a hot seller for Sig, and expect it to go down the same path as the Pro series.

It does feel nice in hand but the trigger is a bit spongy, not at all what I would expect on a Sig. The modular design made for a lot of compromise IMO, it is a bit bulky and well... very Taurus like in appearance.
    It does point and handle very well, just like the rest of the Sigs.
    The ambi slide stop is a cool feature, and the trigger housing is plenty large enough for a gloved hand. It is equipped with a light rail, those are always a plus.
    Take down is simple and straight forward, much like any other Sig. Cleaning and routine maintenance should not be an issue.

Shooting is OK once you get past the looong spongy trigger. I have about 100 rounds through it, 0 malfunctions and it was plenty accurate. It shot rather soft compared to a Glock, probably more comparable to an M&P. It was pleasant to shoot, but it wasn't anything to write to Momma about.
    Last edited by SIXTO; July 2nd, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added a little more positive stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok, I'll do it since no one else will.

Pictures? I know what the gun looks like.
    Heavily armed.
    Collection: Kahr CW9, M&P 15-22, Walther P22, Glock 19.
    Sold: XD9 4'', Kimber 1911 Series II compact, FNP-9
    Shopping list: Springfield EMP 9mm, M&P 15 .223

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomHDM View Post
    Ok, I'll do it since no one else will.

Pictures? I know what the gun looks like.
    I'll post a few, but my pictures always stink and it wont look anything different than the ones found on Sigs website.

There it is; but I told you I wasnt a photographer!

Another smart feature I forgot to mention was the indents on the bottom of the grip; its mags gripping and stripping the mag out much quicker and easier should you need to do that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links