I can't decide - Page 2

I can't decide

This is a discussion on I can't decide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You live in Fla. and heat and humidity is the issue. Being that an IWB holster offers the best concealment options under a lightweight t-shirt ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't decide

You live in Fla. and heat and humidity is the issue. Being that an IWB holster offers the best concealment options under a lightweight t-shirt a steel framed weapon is going to have a rust problem, even SS. I know that there are finishes and coatings that help, I have a 3.5 inch 1911 that has a ceramic finish and is supposed to hold up under a 1000 hr salt spray. I carried IWB for a while and in hot weather I felt that I had to peel it off my skin, very uncomfortable. I finally settled on a Kahr CW9 mated to a Beltman made IWB holster with a sweatshield. I wear a lightweight undershirt, kinda like the muscle builder shirt, under a light colored untucked t-shirt. The frame of the weapon comes into contact with the undershirt and not bare skin. I have carried this combo since mid May and we have had some high temp (99+) and 95-100% humidity days.
    BTW I am not advocating Kahrs necessarily, any polymer framed auto will work fine. However keep an eye on the grip size.

Well, the .40 S&W round operates at a higher pressure than .45acp. Most folks find the recoil of the .40 to be snappier than the .45.

I use to have a S&W 66 myself, nice gun! Keep in mind if you ever have to use a gun, short of an all out zombie attack, the chances are pretty good you won't need anywhere near 50 rounds. Don't worry too much about how much volume you can shoot at the range, when I take my .38 snubby to the range I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds and sometimes not even that. For the 66 I'd recommend using .38spl for the majority of your practice anyway and just enough magnum rounds to keep your proficiency up. Most of us who carry .38spl, .357mag, 9mm, etc. usually focus our practice on std. pressure loads and carry +P for defensive use. Actually, the only caliber I DON'T carry +P defensive loads in is the .45. Hey defensive ammo is too expensive to practice with all the time anyway.
    Jack

Couple of suggestions

You mentioned that you would consider both 9mm and something larger, but said that compact size for concealment is a big consideration while wearing light clothes in Florida.

I have quite a few handguns, but two of my favorites for compact carry are a 9mm Sig P239 and a .45 caliber Colt Defender. The Sig gives me 8+1 rounds in the gun, and the Colt 7+1 rounds. I think that is enough and I carry a spare magazine. Both guns are aluminum frame and when loaded weigh just under 30 ounces, giving enough weight to handle recoil well.

Both guns are fairly thin and conceal easily.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I went to the range today and shot my .357 (of course) and rented an HK .40
    HK USP 40 (Like to this one).

I shot the .40 first and my 357 with .38 afterwards.

My initial impression was I was not as accurate as I was with the 9mm. But more so than with my 357. (Boy I was really bad when I first switched). The larger caliber is what I am looking for, I think I can safely rule out 9mm. Next up for me will be a .45 then I will focus on the guns maker.

Disclaimer is that I was more shaky today than last time. I am not sure why but have been that way my whole life, it is not if I'm shaky but how much.

Chris

Too many choices... first thing I tend to think about is reliability... personally, I have found two very reliable gun makes that I don't think there can be too many people disputing... Glock and SIG.

Second, is a ammo war choice... personally, I like both the 9mm and .40S&W... 9mm is very accurate, as is the .40S&W, but the .40S&W does have a bit more kick and IMO stopping power... both Glock and SIG make most all of their models in both of these popular calibers.

Third, is the size of your carry...
    - small: I consider Glock 26 in 9mm, or the Glock 27 in .40S&W, or the SIG P239 in either caliber...
    - medium: I consider the Glock 19 in 9mm, or the Glock 23 in .40S&W, or the SIG P229 in either caliber...
    - large: personally, I would and do not go any larger then medium, but both Glock and SIG make great large guns.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Too many choices... first thing I tend to think about is reliability... personally, I have found two very reliable gun makes that I don't think there can be too many people disputing... Glock and SIG.

Second, is a ammo war choice... personally, I like both the 9mm and .40S&W... 9mm is very accurate, as is the .40S&W, but the .40S&W does have a bit more kick and IMO stopping power... both Glock and SIG make most all of their models in both of these popular calibers.

Third, is the size of your carry...
    - small: I consider Glock 26 in 9mm, or the Glock 27 in .40S&W, or the SIG P239 in either caliber...
    - medium: I consider the Glock 19 in 9mm, or the Glock 23 in .40S&W, or the SIG P229 in either caliber...
    - large: personally, I would and do not go any larger then medium, but both Glock and SIG make great large guns.
    I should also add:

Fourth, price... Glock's are generally about $500-$550, and the SIG P239 is about $650-$700, P229 is about $750-$800... I just consider the basic gun without night sights or anything fancy... night sight are about the only option on a Glock... SIG can add for Two-Tone, night sights and few other things like DAK trigger.

Fifth, weight... Glock is definitely the lightest gun between these two manufactures, and for carrying this is a big factor.

Finally, I would recommend you shoot anything you are considering before you buy... this is advise I wish I had a number of years ago.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links