I can't decide

I can't decide

This is a discussion on I can't decide within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a big 357 revolver & 12ga Shottie for home protection. I have recently decided that I need to carry. To me there are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide

I can't decide

I have a big 357 revolver & 12ga Shottie for home protection.

I have recently decided that I need to carry. To me there are 3 factors will that help me with the decision of what gun I will need. 1, I need to be accurate with it, 2. it needs to be comfortable enough for me to carry, and 3. as big in caliber as I can afford (not $$ but with #1 & #2 considered). I don't think I can carry a 45 and be comfortable.

I had settled on a 9mm and am accurate with the few that I have rented. I just don't know that it will have enough kick for me to be OK with.

Being that I live in FL it may be a 9mm considering what I wear most of the time (tees and shorts). I realize in the end it is a personal decision, but I would appreciate experienced input. At any rate what do you guys think?

Glock 26? about $500 with night sights. I carry the .40 version (Glock 27) in Florida.
    If you prefer revolvers: J-Frame (ok. its 38 special, not 9mm... close enough?)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

It might be the .40 is a better option for me. I need to shoot one and see what I think, maybe tomorrow.

Is the 38 special a little bit longer (more grains?) than the 9mm?

Well, it's of course a personal decision, but there are many .45's that are the same size as most 9mm's. Many people conceal a full size 1911 .45 and do it just fine.

In my experience, felt recoil is more dependent upon grip, weight and design rather than caliber.

The XD series seems to fit a lot of shooters, and the XD9 SC or the compact XD45 should not be difficult to carry.

I have personally retired my XD for a 3" 1911(Kimber Ultra). Very easy to conceal. Thin profile. And it's scary accurate.

If you could post a price range, how sensitive you are to recoil, preferred method of carry(if you have thought of one), capacity requirements, and aesthetic preferences, I am sure we could come up with something more specific...

As I am sure you are probably already aware, the best thing for you to do is rent as many guns as you can before making the decision, but we could perhaps, point you in the general direction.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Why don't you think you could carry a .45 and not be comfortable? If you want to, you don't need to compromise. Alloy framed compacts don't weight that much and are manageable as far as recoil. Not a problem under just a t-shirt.
    But if you're looking for a 9mm, I would take a look at Kahr. I like my S&W 640 too much or I'd probably have one myself. Speaking of j-frames, .357 and .38+P are pretty proven rounds.
    Congratulations on the decision to be prepared, BTW.

Nothing wrong with a 9mm if you're using good quality ammo. I've got a G19 that I really like - and I'm a 1911 guy, go figure!

Curious why you've ruled out a .45, is it the weapon weight or recoil? If it's the latter, honestly if you can handle a .357 then the .45acp is a cupcake. Plenty of lightweight options in all calibers too, Glock has the 30 if you want a double stack and the 36 if you want something thinner. Both of those are reasonably lightweight compared to other guns out there. Then there's all sorts of 1911s to choose from as well H&K USP and USPC, Sig. You could also go with a J-frame if you like wheelies. They're good, reliable guns that are a breeze to carry.
    Jack

I don't think I can carry a 45 and be comfortable.
    If you really want a 45acp for carry---don't rule it out. I carry the mid size Glock very well in jeans and t-shirt, I just don't like wearing shorts (ugly white bird legs). I had been seriously working with my SIG P220 SAO and MTac Minotaur holster for the summer time carry, and If I had a bit more girth-it would be very possible and comfortable. The old saying "where there's a will, there's a way" should be viable for most, but there are limitations. Alot of 1911 model manufacturers now make very small 'carry' options comparative to their larger counterparts. Being the revolver fan you are, a 6 or 7 shot baby 1911 might well be a good alternative. The Glock G36 would be in the mix as well as maybe the G30 or 30sf (10 round capacity) in the 45's as well. If you absolutely cannot go in the larger caliber of your choice, then by all means go for the highest capacity possible in the alternatives.

can't decide

Since you're in Fla I would go with 9mm. You're going to need a light weapon and you will get more mag capacity with 9mm. The plastic Kahr's are very light or you might opt for one of the ultralite J frame revolvers.

You'll get more punch with 9mm out of a semi auto than 38 special out of a 2" barrel. The modern 9mm self defense ammo from Corbon or Hornady is very powerful.

Honestly the few 45's I have shot were full sized and heavy as hell. I was just thinking that I didn't want to carry around that weight all the time. The model 66 SW I have will make me start flinching after 50 or so rounds. I am sure I could get over it eventually, I am only up to 1500 rounds or so. I can shoot 38's through it all day though.

As far as what I would prefer would be an auto loader. Price is not really an option with most stock guns. I was looking at a Sig 239 SAS 9mm but it might be .40 is a better option for me. My uncle recommended a Para Ordinance pistol though, Para Carry 9.

Have you seen this!?
    Para-Ordnance Night Hawg

Obviously there are a LOT of options out there, and most of us will recommend what we have experience with. For me that would include the M&P Compacts in both .40 and 9mm and also the Glock 30sf in .45. All three carry VERY easily with little effort. All three are rock solid in build and reliability. All three are double stack with 10-12 mag capacities.

If you want something even thinner I would consider maybe a Walther PPS ( they come in 9mm and .40), a Glock 36 (.45 only), or a Sig P239 (9mm, .40, .357 Sig). The Walther probably being the lightest and thinnest of the three.

Lastly as mentioned above there are a LOT of options available in the 3" 1911 realm. Although most of those will be considerably more pricey.

Check them out, hold as many of them as you can, and follow your instincts.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Living in Orlando, I'd opt for a machine gun, but they are hard to conceal...so that option is off the table.

I live two hours north of you (Gator Country). I have both .45's and 9mm's...I could carry either, but I prefer the .45.

My EDC (every day carry) is a Kimber Ultra CDP II. On my Harley, I carry my Glock-36. Both weapons are very easy to conceal in IWB (inside waistband) holsters, and I'm in the very same weather as you. I usually wear shorts and a T-shirt (a wife beater under the T-shirt), or shorts and a T-shirt under a 'FL' print short.

I also just bought a Glock-26 (9mmm), it would also be a great weapon to conceal, I just prefer the larger caliber...if you have to make holes, they might as well be as large as possible.OMO

Stay armed...get a .45...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I guess that is the reality is the I need to shoot and/or hold as many as I can before I make any sort of decision. Maybe take some shooting lessons. I am a pretty big guy there is no reason I would have problems with a 45.

Nice hawg Ramrod & good points retsupt99

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

Stay armed...avoid 9mm...stay safe!

Heheheh! I just had too!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

If confterble & accurate with 9mm go for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links