Duty weapon AND CCW

This is a discussion on Duty weapon AND CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That is true, he (brother in law) is good about field stripping and cleaning his duty weapon and then lubricating it. BTW he carries a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty weapon AND CCW

That is true, he (brother in law) is good about field stripping and cleaning his duty weapon and then lubricating it. BTW he carries a Glock 27 off duty. He was really hot about rolling around in the mud those two times and having to clean his gun and uniform all over again!

I had a Sig P239 and like an idiot I traded for a shotgun that I no longer own. Both brands are very good choices for law enforcement.
    God bless our troops!

2. Remove Ads

Go for the 229R. You won't be sorry.

VIP Member
    Personally I'd pick the CZ P-06. It is my EDC weapon, and it would serve well as a duty weapon, unless they require you to carry a DAO weapon.

SIG!!!!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I'm issued the 23 for work...it's a good gun but I prefer the 19.

Really, you can't go wrong with Glock or Sig. AFAIC, they're the top two pistols currently on the market as far a reliability is concerned. I just like the Glock better.
    reliability wise, how do you rate H&K?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_balla View Post
    I have almost zero personal experience with H&K (only shot a few and they ran pretty good) but from what I've heard/seen, they're just fine. The problem is that unless you're LEO or .mil their customer service sucks (I've heard too many horror stories to have any desire to own one). And it's a little ridiculous when the magazines are $40 per/each.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Over rated.

They are a quality pistol, but they are not as good as the common gun culture and Hollywood would lead you to believe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Over rated.

They are a quality pistol, but they are not as good as the common gun culture and Hollywood would lead you to believe.
    Sixto, i have learned that your post are quite valuable and your knowledge is extensive, but i have to respectfully disagree with your opinion. I love my HK's and in a SHTF situation i am confident it wouldn't jam or let me down in any way.

Why do you think they aren't as good as many people think they are? And is this opinion from personal experience?

Glock 23 vs. Sig P229

I've owned the Glock 23 and a Sig P229 in .40 for about 8 years, and have shot and carried both. I like them both, and it is hard to choose between them.

I'd say that both are equally reliable and accurate. The Sig is better for shooting, as it is 8 ounces heavier and handles recoil better, and it has a very comfortable grip and trigger. The Glock 23 is easier to carry all day because of its lighter weight, and conceals a little better because it is thinner in the slide. Generally the Glock is a little lower priced than the Sig, as well.

I would tend to go with the Glock 23 for a concealed carry application.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Another "both are fine choices" comment.

If it where me I'd decide on ergonomics, price point, or perhaps both, and likely end up deciding on the Glock. (The ergos on both, different as they are, are OK to my mind. The price points... Well, there isn't much of a comparison, with Glocks being bargains compared to the Sig line. And that's why Glock dominates the market the way they do; same rates of performance and failure at significantly lower price points.)
    God, country, family.

Not Sixto, but someone asked about HKs not living up to their reputation.

I've a bit of experience with the HK pistol line, and find them to be fine pistols. But they just aren't what their marketing departments would have everyone believe them to be, that's all. (Same rates of performance and failure as the competition...)

The same could and arguably should be said of the Glock and Sig lines, for the record.
    God, country, family.

Administrator
    Sixto, i have learned that your post are quite valuable and your knowledge is extensive, but i have to respectfully disagree with your opinion. I love my HK's and in a SHTF situation i am confident it wouldn't jam or let me down in any way.

Why do you think they aren't as good as many people think they are? And is this opinion from personal experience?
    They are high quality pistols, the USP line up in particular. They are not an inferior brand, but they are not superior to the others in the top shelf class either. You should feel confident in your HK, there is no reason not to. Erik summed up the point I was trying to make nicely.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I need a duty weapon (armed security) that will also double as my CCW. I'm thinking G23 or P229 (in .40). Your thoughts, or if you carry either do you like?

THanks
    although i personally don't care for glocks (rather, their weird grip angle), either gun would be excellent for duty or personal use.

A trip to your local range which rents guns would settle the issue. Don't buy before you try... Both are quality weapons, either way you can't go wrong.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    First to answer the posters question, Go with the Glock 23. If you'll notice my handle makes mention that I carry a Sig daily (by requirement) and own (and have previously carried as duty weapon) Glocks and there is no comparison, Glock hands down. It's lighter and dosent have the multiple trigger modes (ie double action to single action unless you get a DAK). Carrying them both concealed daily, I'd go with the Glock if I were allowed to make the choice.

Now to address the comments about the H&K...I have to agree with SIXTO. The H&Ks were put to the torture test by a reputible federal agency that shoots more than any other and they just didnt hold up as well as the Sigs and Glocks. Heck even the premier line that H&K made up for SOCOM (the Department of Defense's Special Operations Command which includes Delta Force, Special Forces and the SEALS) which was suppose to be the issued sidearm, and funny thing, their not carried. Infact most operators I know dont carry them. (Oh on a personal note, I've been so un-impressed with them, that there isnt a single one in my personal collection and its not due to lack of purchasing weapons). The best H&K made was the P7 and its the only one I'd buy.

Ok...back to my cage.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links