Duty weapon AND CCW

This is a discussion on Duty weapon AND CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a duty weapon (armed security) that will also double as my CCW. I'm thinking G23 or P229 (in .40). Your thoughts, or if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty weapon AND CCW

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Duty weapon AND CCW

I need a duty weapon (armed security) that will also double as my CCW. I'm thinking G23 or P229 (in .40). Your thoughts, or if you carry either do you like?

THanks
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Administrator
    Our officers can choose any Sig the want for duty, we have a few officers who chose the 229 for this very reason. It plays both roles really well.

Both the 229 and G23 are excellent guns. The edge for a CCW goes to the G23, because of its light weight, and for duty gun, the edge would go to the 229... Both edges are ever so slight so flip a coin.

If it were my money buying a gun to work for someone else, I'd buy the Glock. If I had a choice of caliber, I'd chose the 19 over the 23.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I'd take the Sig over the Glock cause they feel better to me.

The best thing to do is to try each one of them and then make a decision. For some reason or another you will like one over the other.

The only opinion that really matters here is yours. Only you can say for sure which one you like better.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Between those two choices I would take the Glock. I like its weight and ergonomics (yes I know the latter is subjective for sure, perhaps the former as well).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I'm issued the 23 for work...it's a good gun but I prefer the 19.

Really, you can't go wrong with Glock or Sig. AFAIC, they're the top two pistols currently on the market as far a reliability is concerned. I just like the Glock better.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Glock 23 is my duty gun for the swat team, but I am really liking my Springfield XD I've had for about a year now.

I've had the Glock for about 10 or 11 years now so I have a lot of time in with that one.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

P229 Hands Down---NO HAND UP WHERE I CAN SEE EM

KENPOTEX got choice I would pic S/A XD over glock MY4ct.

I've carried (and carry) both sidearms as EDC. Either one is a great choice!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have a g23 which is my EDC and p228 both are excellent CCW. SIG offers different trigger options where the Glock does not. I still prefer the Glock. The Sig is a bit "Sexier"....bu the Glock is a little more rugged. Overall as an all around gun I would go with the Glock. But you wont be unhappy with either.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Glock 19 or 23 because they are better at handling inclement weather riding in a duty holster and they have a tougher finish when it comes to holster wear.

I am not saying the Sig is a wimp pistol, just that the Glock has the edge as a all weather type pistol.

My brother in law is a motorcycle traffic cop and his Glock 22 has withstood downpours, sleet, snow, and even mud (wrestling suspects) for the last 12 years and is still in good shape.
    God bless our troops!

Lead Moderator
    I'd go for the SIG, but that's just me!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Glock 19 or 23 because they are better at handling inclement weather riding in a duty holster and they have a tougher finish when it comes to holster wear.

I am not saying the Sig is a wimp pistol, just that the Glock has the edge as a all weather type pistol.

My brother in law is a motorcycle traffic cop and his Glock 22 has withstood downpours, sleet, snow, and even mud (wrestling suspects) for the last 12 years and is still in good shape.
    I carried a G22 as an LEO for four years... outward appearances indicted the gun was as tough as advertised, once it was stripped down piece by piece, it got quite scary. No pistol can take abuse that a beat cop throws at it without regular care.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    The real answer should be "whatever feels comfortable in your hand that you can shoot well, repeatedly!"

That said, I'd check out the S&W M&P 9c (or 40c), especially after getting a trigger job.

I bought a slightly used 9c that had a professional trigger job (I've measured 4.5-5# trigger pull) and it just puts them in one jagged hole for me and I'm not the greatest shooter in the world. My stock M&P .45 (full size) is almost as good in my hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links