Sig 220 Carry

Sig 220 Carry

This is a discussion on Sig 220 Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a used [ 50 rds through it ] 220 Carry with N/S's several months ago. Carried it on and off for the last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 220 Carry

Sponsor

Sig 220 Carry

I bought a used [ 50 rds through it ] 220 Carry with N/S's several months ago. Carried it on and off for the last few months, have put over 1K through it since I've had it.

It would fail to feed the 8th round about every 3-4 mags or so, and the Sig forum has a lot of members who've experienced this with their's as well. It has an internal extractor, and apparently from what I've read over there, Sig has recently changed their design to an external extractor on this gun.

I sent it back to Sig for them to fix the last round FTF issues [ all they do is adjust the extractor and polish the feed ramp ]. While there, I had the SRT [ short reset trigger ] installed which costs a little over 90.00.

Our Sig rep sent me a prepaid label and quashed the fee for the SRT trigger on the order for me so it didn't cost me anything [ I sell a lot of their guns at the shop and I suppose he figured if I was carrying the gun while working, I might sell even more of them ].

I'm back to carrying the Sig 220 Carry again, and it's a toss up between that and my G19/G17's all the time now.

Anyone else have a 220 Carry? Thoughts on this model?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I've been following your posts on the 220 carry with interest, it is on my short list to buy in the near future. I wish I knew you wanted a SRT trigger, I have a spare set for my 220 and could have installed for you when you were here...Oh well, it sounds as if you got it for free anyway.
    I have shot the carry Sig sent us, and I like it a lot. It shot almost as well as the full size 220, which is a dream to shoot. I am a little concerned about weight and size for CCW, my Kahrs have spoiled me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    Appreciate the thoughts on the srt trigger sixto.

I was on the fence about sending my carry back to Sig for the last round FTF issue as it had gotten better when I polished the ramp [ I knew that was something Sig was going to do anyway ] attempting to ease the problem, then----I tried a friends 220 with the srt and was quite surprised at the difference in reset times.

He hands me the srt 220 and I load it up, decock, fire a shot at the target, and the second one took me totally by surprise and almost got away from me. It seemed that trigger reset didn't need but a very light let off pressure of the trigger finger and it was throwing another down range.

I was getting 3 rds a second with combat accuracy with my standard trigger and instantly got 4 a second with the same accuracy with his srt after 3-4 mags. That made me want to send it back to fix it and put that trigger system in mine.

I find the 220 carry conceals as well as my g17, but not as well as my g19. I'm really torn between carrying the g19 and this 220. I haven't found anything that can pull me away from the glocks for very long, but this 220 Carry has been carried more often than any other firearm when I've not got a glock on me.

If you get one, it will likely have an external extractor. I haven't seen much on the Sig forum about problems with the externals at all. Most on that forum seem to feel that they changed it due to a design flaw [ like mine ]. Others seem to think otherwise so it's still undetermined and Sig's not talking.

Just so everyone is clear who may be looking at this 220 Carry in the future. Most 220 Carrys like mine ran great with no issues as a Sig should. Few had the problems of last rd FTF's comparatively speaking. I got one, it's fixed and I like it obviously [ I just can't run it as fast as the g17/19's---------yet.

Brownie

I've read about the FTF issues in the P220 Carry alone on other forums (sigforum). What was the root cause (what did the factory do to fix the issue)? Never had a problem with my full size P220 SAO.
    You came out good on the factory turnaround! The SRT isn't available for my model for obvious reasons.

Sponsor
    Ram Rod,

Sig polished the feed ramp [ further than I did I guess ] and adjusted the extractor. I've read where some extractors were also replaced but rarely, it usually required just the adjustment.

If you're over there reading you probably also know that the internal extractor claw doesn't sit at 3 o clock on the shell like most handguns, but more 4-4:30ish, which some seem to think is the design flaw and root cause of the extractor having to be tuned just perfect.

When I read that, I tore mine apart and damned if mine wasn't the same as the pics on that sight that were put up for the members. It looks a little strange when you're accustomed to the normal position of extractor hooks on the shell with other guns, but I'll not question Sigs engineers on this. Mine runs like it should since being adjusted.

I've looked at the SAO's we have and shot one once. Nice first shots out of those.

Brownie

Got it! I'm not over 'there' often--it's sort of slow, but good info for SIGs. Love my SAO. I can rack the slide with thumb safety engaged, and it's an awesome shooter.

Sponsor
    I forgot to mention that I put a pair of Sig thin grips on the 220 Carry as well. Sig changed their grip texture on the newer 220's, and I found them to be too smooth for me personally.

The thin grips are a little deeper in the "pattern" and supply a better grip if my hands are sweaty as well as giving me a more secure grip due to their narrowed circumference with my medium/small hands.

Brownie

Administrator
    Congrats AZ - Glad that the little bug is now worked out of it.
    Nice carry gun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    Thanks QK.

I carried a 226, then a 228 when I was working back east on the dept and hadn't revisited the Sigs since 2001 until this year. I'm getting caught back up in this line of pistols with the 220 Carry again.

I picked up a 228 and a P6 this last year as well so now it's 3 Sigs from having none in about 6 months. Looks like the O/C is kicking in again, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing

Brownie

Sponsor
    Another 350 rds down range today. Not a single hiccup. I cleaned it and it's getting carry duty for now, even in the heat out here in the desert.

I'm carrying it OWB in this:

J.W. O'Rourke Leather Products -- Holster, slings, belts

I have his holsters for several guns. Handmade and at a great price, they do what I want in a holster.

Brownie

VIP Member
    Until I was cured and now carry a 1911, I carried a SIG P-220R Carry. I had a couple of them and they're great weapons! I loved carrying them and shooting them. For carry I use a VM-II IWB holster... for every handgun!

If I could no longer have a 1911, I'd have a SIG P-220!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Nice holster AZ. Pancake OWB. My favorite.
    Good extremely fair prices on those OWB holsters and using good leather also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    I've got Johns holsters for the g17, g19, g26, xd45, sig220, full size and commander length 1911's and the j frame snub.

A few extras for the glocks which are left handed when I'm in the mood for carrying two guns.

The xd 4" service holster also fit well enough for my 220 carry and the S+W M+P full size 9mm after it got broken in. The G19 holster holds the CZ PCR since it's been broken in also.

I really like the pancake holsters myself. I wore VM2 IWB's for a long time, but now prefer the pancakes over all else for service type firearms.

Brownie

Sponsor

Update

Fired another 400 rds through the 220 carry yesterday out in the desert on my steel plates in a little over an hour. No malfs

Observations follow:

I'm not as fast as my glocks to the first shot.
    Cause: Probably due to the long DA trigger pull and possibly the weapon familiarization curve
    Glock times run from concealed closed front t shirt from .88 to 1.2 seconds
    Sig 220 Carry times ran .98 to 1.35

I'm faster on splits than the glock [ averaged out ].
    Cause: The new SRT [ short reset trigger ]

First hit % at real speed from the hip out of the holster from 8 feet not as high .
    Cause: Long DA trigger pull and probably the reduced trigger time on the DA system [ familiarization ].

All in all, a good time shooting, I'm liking the gun more each range session, and feel I can get to the place the glocks take me with more time on trigger.

In the meantime, when I'm working the gun shop, it's still going to be the glock 17 for the advantage it still has over the 220 Carry at the moment.

Brownie

Hey QK I was reading your post on the Sig 220......I am saving up for a Sig p245....I shot one while I was at the range the last time I was there and I really like it alot and I know they discontinued the 245 and replaced with the 220 compact.....so if I can't fine a 245 I will go with the 220, I'll have to get use to the beaver tail......I know there's alot of people that like the 220 so it has to be a good gun.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links