Anyone with SW40VE experience?

This is a discussion on Anyone with SW40VE experience? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in any feed back pro or con on the SW40VE. Either the 10 or 14 round versions. Is there a 357 Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with SW40VE experience?

Anyone with SW40VE experience?

I am interested in any feed back pro or con on the SW40VE. Either the 10 or 14 round versions. Is there a 357 Sig barrel available for it? It would replace my SW 686 for OWB carry.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

2. Remove Ads

40VE has treated me well, also love the 9VE, and at the price, you can't go wrong

Smile Sw40ve

I purchased a SW9VE several months ago (and have fired the SW40VE), they are well made, and very reliable/accurate. I have had zero problems since a single chambering issue (which hasn't happened since then -- and I've poured close to 4,000 rounds through it already).

...Even though finding a useable concealable holster for them can be difficult.

I have a 9VE, the only holster I have is a Galco for a Glock, which works ok, but not as well as a custom, there are makers who make holsters for them though.

The only real issue I have with it is the trigger pull, which is heavy.

Unless you live in a state that restricts mag capacity, go with the 14, because the pistol is the same, only the mags are different, and might as well go with the extra rounds if you can.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I have an SW40VE, and I am satisfied with it. It does not particularly like flat bullet profiles, and its trigger was stiff at first (but it smoothed out with shooting/dry-fire). Otherwise, I have no complaints, especially for the money. Is it my EDC? No, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry it, either.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Sigmas

The heavy trigger pull puts off a lot of people, but it's a good gun. As for durability, we have them as rentals on the range and they hold up very well. Certainly the equal of guns costing hundreds more. The magazines are unbreakable and sturdy, but the fat floorplate can make spares uncomfortable to carry. I hate all 10 round reduced capacity magazines. Hate, hate hate them. If you don't have to, don't use them. Enjoy the freedom from The Man with a normal capacity magazine. A target trigger job is fast and easy. Done properly, reliability is NOT affected. Make sure you find a smith familiar with the design and it will take less than a half hour of shop time. .357Sig doesn't realy interest me personally, but someone must make it. A quick Google of Barsto and KKM were negative, but maybe someplace else has them. IIRC S&W used to catalog it, but I'm not sure. Fist:
    CURRENT GUN LIST
    Has holsters and it should be pretty easy to carry OWB. Order a good pouch for a spare mag, too.

a few holsters that will fit the VE series guns are:

the bianchi minimalist
    blackhawk serpa for glock 21
    bianchi ranger
    fobus paddle holster model HK1

these are the ones i've tried out, there are others i can't remember right now.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I had one for a very short time as it turned out to be a lemon.Bad firing pin.On the other hand my 9mm has been a work horse where I've fired several thousand rounds various brands and weights with no issues.

I have thousands of rounds thru my 40ve. It has to be the most underrated gun on the planet. It just works. I've shot every kind of ammo with zero malfunctions. Well, my wife limp wristed it once but that doesn't count. It's not too pretty and the trigger is heavy so it gets criticized. Basically it's a glock with a better grip angle and in IMO a safer trigger.

It's not my primary carry but I have carried it a lot IWB and for me it carries very well. Better than my CZ75 or my Bersa 40 high capacity. When I really want to be well armed I carry the Sigma.

sigma 40

I have had a Sigma SW40VE for about 7 months.

About 1200 rounds through it.

Very reliable and accurate. Trigger has loosened up and is near perfect for me. (lots of dry firing also)

I see much unwarrented criticism of this gun on the web, but it is a great gun, and it is very affordable!

I have the 40VE, love it. I also didn't like the trigger, so I changed it. Google "Sigma trigger job" and you will see how to do it. Although it will void the warranty and I was fully aware of the hazards with modifying this pistol (disclaimer).

I too have had a hard time finding good holsters for it, below the custom price, and have the Fobus HK1 as well as the DeSantis Tuck This and while I am not a CHL yet my practice carry around the house has been OK with the DeSantis, but I am going custom as soon as $$ becomes available.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The gun is very good for the money. The trigger leaves much to be desired, but breaks in somewhat after 500-1000 rounds. It's accurate enough for SD but not really a range gun. I found mine to be very reliable, but quite 'snappy' shooting .40 caliber. I sold mine to help purchase a CZ-75B, which is my only .40 at this time. I don't regret selling the SW40VE despite the fact no other gun fits my hand better before or since.

It's worth it to spend some dollars more and get a 'really good' gun.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    I have thousands of rounds thru my 40ve. It has to be the most underrated gun on the planet. It just works. I've shot every kind of ammo with zero malfunctions. Well, my wife limp wristed it once but that doesn't count. It's not too pretty and the trigger is heavy so it gets criticized. Basically it's a glock with a better grip angle and in IMO a safer trigger.

It's not my primary carry but I have carried it a lot IWB and for me it carries very well. Better than my CZ75 or my Bersa 40 high capacity. When I really want to be well armed I carry the Sigma.
    +1! My wife had the same thing happen to her. I feel this is one of the best guns that I have ever owned! IMHO you can not find a better "first" gun, even for ccw.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Every Christmas for the past few years, I've asked for nothing more from family and friends but gift cards to Academy.

This past year, I took my cards (over $300.) and got a Sigma SW40VE. It was on sale for $299. with a $50. mail-in rebate that also got two extra 15 round mags. The rebate and mags took about 6 weeks.

Shoots great, no problems. Eats everything I feed it. Not my everyday carry (I'm a Beretta guy) but it's a good truck gun. Feel good about having it and sometimes, it's easy to get to, vs. my holstered Beretta, while I'm buckled up.

Didn't cost me anything, got a great deal, total of four factory mags. But if I had limited funds, this gun would be on my list.

I got the 9VE as my first handgun several years ago. I wanted something cheap that I could swing as a Christmas gift. It has been 100% reliable though it hasn't been shot in a while since I went to Glocks and the like.

In my opinion, it will get the job done, but I would look at a Glock 23 or an M&P40 or even an XD. Not much more money, but more gun in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links