Need 1911 advice

This is a discussion on Need 1911 advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all.. .I've really got the hots for a 1911 type pistol. Been reading everything I can find on the subject, only to become even ...

Thread: Need 1911 advice

Need 1911 advice

Hi all...I've really got the hots for a 1911 type pistol. Been reading everything I can find on the subject, only to become even more indecisive which one to buy. It won't be for CC, mainly target /range enjoyment. Reliability is everything, and from what I'v been reading, there is no clear winner as to which brand to get. I would like to keep costs below $750. I'm thinking that a Colt is my best bet for reliability and lasting value, so should I buy a new Gov Model or mayby a used National Match? I know that a used, but pretty NM Colt sitting in the gun shop could be had in my price range, but I really don't want to buy someone else's slamjam-omatic. Are Colts fine out-of-the-box or
    should I be ready for a let down if It starts jamming right away?
    When in doubt, wup it out....

2. Remove Ads

Everyone needs a Colt in their collection anyway, why not start with one? We very seldom hear of Colt malfunctions, unless someone's messed with them.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Another option, if you're worried about getting someone else's lemon (and I would be if half the forum stories I read about this subject are true), is a Rock Island Armory Tactical model for about $500-550. It has the most common options that people seem to like and you can spend the other $200-250 on getting any other options that might fit your fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Another option, if you're worried about getting someone else's lemon (and I would be if half the forum stories I read about this subject are true), is a Rock Island Armory Tactical model for about $500-550. It has the most common options that people seem to like and you can spend the other $200-250 on getting any other options that might fit your fancy.
    What he said... good 1911.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

VIP Member
    Springfield's are a very good value and I'd certainly consider a used one because they really hold up well!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I own a Rock Island and a Taurus 1911. Both function flawlessly and both are affordable. Springfield makes a very reliable 1911 as well. Would I like a Mercedes? Sure. I can't afford one and am not going to walk until I can. Therefore, I bought a reliable Chevy. If you wait until you can afford a high-end 1911, you won't be getting one for a while. Get what you can afford and trick it out as your budget allows.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Bought a slightly used Colt Commander for $500, no regrets. Bought a new RIA Tactical for $425, no regrets.

I have a Kimber 25th anniversary model that I bought new for 700.00 and has been flawless, but if I were in your position today, I'd probably go for the Colt.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a 5" SA 1911-A1 and a RIA 3.5" compact,I carry the RIA for my EDC but have carried the Springer and conceals well.I will purchase a RIA tactical for my next 1911,the ambi safety and sights are a good deal for what little more it costs over the GI version.The thing is the colt will hold it's value better but if you want a good dependable EDC the RIA is a good choice.If you buy a RIA get a wolff X strong firing pin spring I had an AD after mine dropped and replaced the spring immediately afterward
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have a Kimber 25th anniversary model that I bought new for 700.00 and has been flawless, but if I were in your position today, I'd probably go for the Colt.

Hoss
    Nice looking 1911!

I like those grips. Wonder if they have them for an Ultra CDP II?

You can't go wrong with the Colt. The full size models have very few problems, but I think that could be said for most manufacturers. Most problems seem to come from the compact and officer size models.

By all means, go for a Colt, and personally, I'd go for the Gold Cup or National Match.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Springfield has many options in your price range plus they offer lifetime warranty.Can't beat that !

I have a Colt 1911 Officers (3.5") 6+1 rounds and a Para P-12 (3.5") 12+1.

While I may one day part with my P-12, I'll never give up the Colt.

Also have a Colt A2 Gov. Carbine
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    If you can get a sweet deal on a pre-owned Colt NM in nice condition then (for sure) I would jump on that.

Any semi-automatic handgun can be a jam-o-matic even when it is Brand New and right out of the box.

If you know your gun dealer then have him/her look over that Colt with you.

Ask questions.

No good reputable firearm dealer wants to sell a customer a bad problem gun.

Express your concerns to the dealer.

Find out ahead of time what the dealer is willing to do for you should the gun end up being problematic.

MANY people sell or trade firearms for hundreds of different reasons that have nothing to do with the gun itself having function related problems.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links