Need some opinions please

This is a discussion on Need some opinions please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I second everyone saying wait a while and save up for the glock 19. If thats what you had before, and liked, no sense in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some opinions please

I second everyone saying wait a while and save up for the glock 19. If thats what you had before, and liked, no sense in changing it

2. Remove Ads

Eh, I only mentioned the Glock because I liked the size/weight. It was a gift from an ex one Christmas. The grip never felt quite perfect in my hand. I "liked" it, but not so enthralled that I wouldn't prefer to explore other options. Besides, I've already had one! Why stick with the same ole, same ole when you can try something new? Don't think I'll use that line around the little lady though.. might get myself ...

Ruger P95 is what I carry and have for a good long while. I paid right at 300 for mine.

tk

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    1st, I'd save more and buy more. You'll have that gun a long time and for a few hundred more you can buy a lot of gun. If you're on a budget I recommend 9mm period. Nothing else will compare on cost if you're going to try and shoot that much on a budget. The Keltec PF9 is an excellent choice for this category but I suspect it'll be a bit small in your hands.

Another gun I can recommend is the Bersa 9mm. They call it a compact but it's not a bad size and holds 13 rounds. Bersa's are excellent values. What I DON'T like is that they have both magazine disconnect and regular safetys. That's just too many safetys for CCW IMHO. However they're about $325 new:

Bersa Thunder 9MM Ultra Compact Pistol THUN9UCM13, 9 MM, 3 1/2", Black Polymer Grip, Matte Blue Fin

After that you need to start looking at used and then you might be buying someone elses problem, so again, I'd save up and get a good 9mm like a S&W M&P, or a Springfield XD, or even the Taurus 24/7.

You like the Glock 19... save some more and buy a used Glock 19 if you can find one.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    $300.00 just doesn't get you much now-a-days.

As hard as it might be to do, I'd put the money aside and wait a little. You might end up needing it in the short run and in the long run you might be able to add some to it and have a lot better choices!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    What's been mentioned so far, I'd take revolver instead.They are simple to operate and resonable to buy. Any of the rugers sixes come to mind ;speed six,security six can be purchased at a reasonable price.If you buy a 357 you have the flexiblitiy of buying 38's and you have two calibers instead of one and
    have the option of shooting the cheaper 38's

Not sure if its out yet. But handguns magazine has an article on tauruses new 9mm slim pistol. Sounds like a good ccw pistol for about $3 to $400 range. Im intrested in that. When I can take a gander at one. Good luck with your choice.
    Sixgun

Quote Originally Posted by tkarter View Post
    Ruger P95 is what I carry and have for a good long while. I paid right at 300 for mine.

tk
    Seconded. I've had my P85 for about 20 years now, and besides my Glock 36 it's the only gun in my collection that's gone bang every single time I've pulled the trigger. Never had a failure to feed, no failures to eject, no malfunctions of any kind in thousands of rounds of use.

It'd be a bear to carry because of it's size (comparable to a full size 1911, only thicker), but that's the only downside I can think of. $300 should buy you a new P95, or a used P85 with plenty left over for Wolff rebuild kits (recoil spring kit plus magazine spring kits) just to be safe. Hell, you'll probably have enough left over to buy the GF flowers - everyone wins!

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'm going to keep saving for a while. Took a look around on saturday and nothing jumped out at me at the stores. I figure, worst case, I still buy a $300 gun and have money left over for holsters/belt/etc..

VIP Member
    Look at the EAA witness. They are VERY good shooters and not too far from your price point. A used one would definitely be in your price range.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links