Need some opinions please

This is a discussion on Need some opinions please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally talked my girlfriend into letting me spend some cash on a new handgun. My budget however, is very limited at the moment ($300). ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I finally talked my girlfriend into letting me spend some cash on a new handgun. My budget however, is very limited at the moment ($300).

Here's the problem. I'm waiting on my CCW, so am looking for something that is comfortable to carry, BUT I also want something that I can hit the range with and comfortably blast a few hundred rounds through every couple weeks. I'm 6' 220lbs, so a tiny gun won't cut it for range time.

When I lived in another state, I CCW'd a Glock 19, which fit the bill on both counts, however, I sold it before I moved and another would be out of my price range at the moment.

What do you all suggest? Must be 9mm(ammo cost... otherwise I'd be looking for a used 4-4 1/2" bbl 1911...), I prefer SA, can live with DA/SA or a Glock type action, detest the feel of DAO as the trigger pull is just too long.

Any suggestions?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    For that kind of money, a reliable 9mm Kel-tec can be had. Its not the biggest gun in the world, but it will serve you well. You could probable pick up the PF9 or p11.

I've not fired one, nor do I know much about them, but if I'm not mistaken, the little Keltecs are DAO aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by venemous View Post

I finally talked my girlfriend into letting me spend some cash on a new handgun. My budget however, is very limited at the moment ($300).

Here's the problem.

Would you like a different perspective as to what the problem is?!

Hmm... $300 probably puts you in the used market. You sound like a well built guy. The Kel-Tec may be a bit small for range time, they are quite thin and lightn and not the most comfortable thing to dun hundreds of rounds through. If you're not opposed to a Taurus you could scout for a used 24/7 or look at the Bersa Offerings. Bersa has gained a reputation for being cheap and reliable. Another that comes to mind is the Steyr M9. The Styer would be the closest thing to the G19 out of the bunch. The Bersas are DA/SA and I think the 24/7s are DAO but feel like a glock trigger(Kinda). Again for you price range they would probably have to be used unless you found a stock reduction or blowout deal. Hope you find a sutable firearm.
    Last edited by Bline; July 3rd, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: For Clarity
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by venemous View Post
    I've not fired one, nor do I know much about them, but if I'm not mistaken, the little Keltecs are DAO aren't they?
    Semi-auto, locked breech, DAO. They make solid firearms for CCW,and their inexpensive.

I shot roughly 800 rounds through my old p3at, and did not have a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Would you like a different perspective as to what the problem is?!
    Ditto ... My thoughts exactly

I'm in complete agreement there! However, she just lost her job so even spending a little money at the moment makes her nervous, heh.

I'm trying to find a shop that's pretty local that will do layaways so I can stretch that cash a bit more over some time, but thus far have had no luck in the Clearwater/Tampa area. If I can find such a place, I'd be looking more in the $500-$600 range, which opens up a TON of possibilities.

Edit: Bline, I have no aversion to Taurus and I've heard the 24/7 triggers aren't that bad as far as DAO goes. I was scouting Bersa online, but I can't find a shop around here that stocks them to get my mitts on one. I've heard quite a bit about thier firearms as good bang for the buck.

VIP Member
    $300.00 just doesn't get you much now-a-days.

As hard as it might be to do, I'd put the money aside and wait a little. You might end up needing it in the short run and in the long run you might be able to add some to it and have a lot better choices!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm sure there may be others, but the one I can see right off the bat that may meet most of your requirements is the Taurus 24/7-9BP17 9MM PRO. I've never owned one, so can't attest to it's reliability, but you have a rather strict set of requirements for your gun:
    300.00 Price
    Comfortable to carry
    DA/SA or SA (no DAO)
    Capable of handling 400+ rounds per month range firing
    In all honesty, if you can afford to fire that much at the range each month, I'd do a shade less shooting and up my budget for the gun as I'm not sure I'd want to subject a firearm in your price range to as much range firing as your planning. Good luck finding something.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I would hit all the gun shows you can, on the last day of the show a couple of hours before close you can get deals.
    Life NRA member since 1974
    "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day." 2Tim1:12
    Go Army
    SFC

I've heard very good things about the Taurus 24/7 and I think it is probably the best option I've seen mentioned here so far. My EDC is a Kahr CW9. They can be found new for $400 (less used). They are very good quality and very concealable (much better than my Glock 19). The one draw back for you may be that they are DAO, however, the Kahr has one of the smoothest DAO factory triggers out there IMO. They are rated for +P and will have no problem handling the amount of shooting you are planning.

Hoss: I have about 1800 rounds of 9mm stored, figure that should easily last me a while. I also probable overestimate the amount I'll actually be shooting. Would likely be in the area of 2-400 rds a month.

After looking into the 24/7 a bit more, I have to say I'm intrigued. Think I might head down to the range after work and see if they have any available to rent...

No one has said it yet, so I will...

$300 could get you tuition into a great 'girl friend' training program...you're going to need one before the wedding!

For your weapon, I'd save the $300 and add to it until you could afford a new G-19, or look for a used one. You probably will regret not getting the gun you used to like.

Stay armed...train your girl friend now...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

For $300 you can buy a new CD Hi Power from CDNN. Or you can look for a used CZ 75.

ranburr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links