Defensive Carry banner

Too many CCW's?

4K views 43 replies 38 participants last post by  imthduke 
#1 ·
I know it's nice to have choices....I have 3 guns that I switch off carrying.Although my 642 is my 90% carry,I have been carrying my pt111 for a week now.I took it to the range today along w/ my Bulldog(which is my 3rd carry)sometimes I actually feel guilty that I don't carry the bulldog more often....any of you guys and gals have ccw guilt too?

#3 ·
Not me, I carry one of two 1911's depending upon my mood for the day. I also, occasionally, carry one of my other guns, but not normally. Don't feel guilty, though. It's nice to have other guns available to carry depending on the season, weather, situation or just mood.... :yup:

#4 ·
Nope--no guilt here. My P220 will see carry when the weather gets cooler as will the full size Glocks. The G19 and G27 are my summer time buddies and they actually take more torture for the season. Some times I'll get a wild hair and do something different, but when they're in the safe together and alone---I don't think they argue and bicker amongst themselves as to who's the best or who gets to go out and play more often than any other. I think my pistols (I carry all of them at one time or another) know that some days are diamonds and some days are stones. Nobody hibernates here-they all get out to play frequently even if it's just around the house or to the range. Sometimes I do however feel one or two especially need natural light or air and they'll let me know when it's time for them to go out before they poop on the floor. I listen to each and every one of them as they're all an extension of me.

#6 ·
What he said. During the summer I carry a Springer Ultra Compact, Kahr P45, or a Firestar .40. The Firestar doesn't see as much action because it's quite a chore to find quality IWB holsters for it. When I do carry it, it's OWB, not my prefered method, but do at times just because. All are easy to conceal under a T-shirt due to their small size. Colder months (I live in North Dakota so the cold season is longer than the warm season) I go with my trusty Springer Mil-Spec full size. As long as your practiced up with whatever you choose to carry, use what fits best for the situation.

#10 ·
I believe you are correct... I know I want more options. And by "options" I mean carry guns.

#8 ·
:blink: Well, I carry my snubby 90% of the time. Neither my 1911s or my .40 has ever complained or acted envious in any way. If it doesn't bother them, I'm not gonna let it bother me. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Hello, my name is Dave... and I carry.
:rofl:

I have 1 main EDC, but I have several BUGs to choose from depending on many circumstances such as where I'm going, what I'm wearing, what vehicle I'll be driving, who I'll be around, etc. I also have a choice of different holster configurations for my EDC and BUGs.

Kinda like a lady's accessories, I guess: different configurations for different occassions. I mean, what lady would only have one purse?

That's the story I'm preparing for when my wife asks me why I need so many different guns and holsters. :redface: I hope it works.

And no, no guilt over having several options to choose from. It's all about preparing for varying threats and circumstances in the best possible way. One certain gun set-up is not the best for every situation.

#12 ·
CCW

I switch between several CCWs depending on my mood. I also carry openly at the gunshop and sometimes pick a gun for "Gee Whiz" factor. I carry a stainless Colt 1911, a P7M8, or a Glock 19 most often, sometimes a 10mm N frame or a .357 or .38 K frame. I sometimes will dig something out of the back of the safe just to take it to work, shoot it, clean and inspect it, and enjoy it. Not exactly "guilt", but why let them all sit in the dark ol safe forever?

#13 ·
Not at all. If I had a horse to help me carry I would have all of them on me.

#14 ·
Isn't "Too Many CCWs" an Oxymoron?
Kinda sorta. I'm allowed to carry up to three in my state, and I've done that before!

#16 ·
I carry a 1911 45 compact I carry a 5" 1911 also but then there are times I just carry a P11 9mm,and sometimes a 1911 and P11 in ***** country,

#17 ·
Yes, I have to admit to feeling guilty by not carrying certain guns, most of my carry involves the P-3at. When I travel to places that I consider higher risk, I would pick the XD, but while I am contemplating strapping on the XD, I look at the PF-9 and think why not carry it, or if I don't feel 100% with it, think to my self why do I have it.

It's just sad, and the only cure I can think of is to buy more CCW guns, it always helps with everything but the bank account.

Z

#22 ·
My Kimber Ultra CDP II is my EDC when not on my Harley...on my Harley, it's my Glock-36...that's it.:comeandgetsome:

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!

#24 ·
I personally feel that your carry weapons should be similar in operation. In other words, I don't think it's advisable to carry a 1911 one day, a S&W 59 the next, and a DAO or something the day after that. I can definately see some potential for confusion in a critical situation.

Nothing wrong with having a bunch of toys to play with, but pick one or two (primary and BUG/deep-concealment) with the same (or similar) manual-of-arms that you're going to use as your tools to fight with.

#30 ·
For those that don't know, there's actually a mathematical formula to determine the number of guns that you actually need.

x=n+1

wherein n is equal to the number of guns you currently own. :image035:

#35 ·
pretty much :biggrin2:

#31 ·
KenpoTex:good point.....in fact I have decided that all my ccw's are pull and shoot,no safeties,or weird levers involved.I do Have 1 gun that is cocked and locked,that I don';t carry.I do use it at idpa sometimes and I have drawn and pointed and forgtten the safety..so point well taken.

#33 ·
There's a saying... "Beware the man with only one gun... he's probably pretty good with it!"

That said, as long as you are competent with all your carry guns, and try to stay aware of which one(s) you are carrying, I don't see a problem with having more than one to choose from.

Like others have said, some guns in your inventory may be more suitable for a certain event, occasion, weather conditions or wardrobe you are wearing.

I have 3 guns that I mainly switch between and carry 2 of them together at any given time, but I also have a couple 1911's I'll add to the mix after I've been shooting them a lot at the range.

Just be careful when switching totally different platforms like a 1911 with a cocked and locked (with a manual safety) vs. a point and click interface like polymer glocks, XD's or revolvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.