To trade or not to trade

This is a discussion on To trade or not to trade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not to deviate the thread, heavymetalman, but I strongly suggest you get a copy of "Shooting Missology" from TacticlResponseGear.com - It extensively covers pistols that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To trade or not to trade

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Not to deviate the thread, heavymetalman, but I strongly suggest you get a copy of "Shooting Missology" from TacticlResponseGear.com - It extensively covers pistols that shoot low and left.

I agree with Sixto; once you solve that problem you can pick up about any gun and put the shot where you want it.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh come on now guys... it isn't that hard to shoot a double action, I can get just about anyone where they need to be with one in a few hours time.
    Yes, a 1911 is easier to shoot bulls eyes with, but is that really learning the proper way to combat shoot? Don't run away from a great platform to another, your problems will follow. Solve your issue first, then if you still want to move to a 1911, you will be in good shape to do so.

A little story about being low and left; When I first switch to Glocks I was always low and left with my G22 (my only Glock at the time) I was very consistent, one ragged hole about 8 o'clock on the bullseye. I swore up and down the sights were bad, the gun was defective etc., and got a little miffed when those who knew better told me that it was a me problem, the gun was fine.
    So, I finally sought help from a friend who knew what he was doing, and he set me straight. Funny thing was, I ended up being a lot better of a shooter with all kinds of pistols, but not before a spent a lot of money trying different sights etc, when it was me the whole time. Fast forward about 10 years, I now know its probably the most common problem for newer shooters, and its an easy fix.
    Well, thats good to know. I definately have room to improve. I practice when I can but with trips to the range getting up around $50+ to fire 100 rounds its hard to practice often.

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    Not to deviate the thread, heavymetalman, but I strongly suggest you get a copy of "Shooting Missology" from TacticlResponseGear.com - It extensively covers pistols that shoot low and left.

I agree with Sixto; once you solve that problem you can pick up about any gun and put the shot where you want it.
    Thanks for the info. This video looks interesting and it seems to get good reviews. Maybe I will pick it up and solve my "bad sights"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Low and to the Left (if your right handed) is probably not the gun. Even if you go to a more expensive gun it may not solve the problem. With a gun used for self defense (i.e. Combat gun) I would fix your trigger control issue before you spend the money on something else.

SIG220 is probably one of the most accurate reliable combat handguns out of the box. But it really comes down to the user. The last course I took their where people in the course with Les Bear and I was shooting a very loose tolerance G21 SF. I had the best Qual score then anybody in the course with a gun that cost a fraction of the price. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but before you go out and just drop some more cash on another handgun shoot a bunch of difference onces before you do. You may find that going UP in price may not be the solution. You may find that a cheaper XD, Glock, or M&P may fix your solution for combat acurracy. However, you could just shoot your Sig until it breaks in and then stick with it.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I had a SIG P220... sold it to buy a CCW... now I regret selling it. I should have saved a little longer and just bought a good CCW. The SIG P220 is a very reliable and dependable gun.

And chances are you will not get THE CCW on your first attempt... personally, I've purchased at least two other CCW that did not really work well for me before I found what started working well for me. Good Luck!!!
    I'm starting to lean in the direction of waiting and saving at this point. Its going to take a lot longer than I thought to get my CHL so there is really no rush to get a CCW at this point in time. Gives me more time to look around and try to get the right one the first time. The only thing is that I wanted to be familiar with the gun and get plenty of practice time in before I received my CHL. There is a gun show next weekend....hope I can restrain myself, I might just buy one and deal with the consequences later

Just out of curiosity, what is the CCW that worked for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Low and to the Left (if your right handed) is probably not the gun. Even if you go to a more expensive gun it may not solve the problem. With a gun used for self defense (i.e. Combat gun) I would fix your trigger control issue before you spend the money on something else.

SIG220 is probably one of the most accurate reliable combat handguns out of the box. But it really comes down to the user. The last course I took their where people in the course with Les Bear and I was shooting a very loose tolerance G21 SF. I had the best Qual score then anybody in the course with a gun that cost a fraction of the price. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but before you go out and just drop some more cash on another handgun shoot a bunch of difference onces before you do. You may find that going UP in price may not be the solution. You may find that a cheaper XD, Glock, or M&P may fix your solution for combat acurracy. However, you could just shoot your Sig until it breaks in and then stick with it.
    Its definately accurate and I now see that I have some trigger control to learn thanks to you guys . The guns I am looking at are not really more expensive I believe list price for the P220 ST was about $1000 when they were still being manufactured. It was really more about being able to carry it than the low and left thing anyway.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    I have a Sig P220 ST and it seems to be a great gun. I have only put about 200 rounds through it and it seems to be off down and left, but I think its just a sighting problem.
    Sounds to me too like more of a trigger control issue.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    Its definately accurate and I now see that I have some trigger control to learn thanks to you guys . The guns I am looking at are not really more expensive I believe list price for the P220 ST was about $1000 when they were still being manufactured. It was really more about being able to carry it than the low and left thing anyway.
    Understood, but what we are telling you is that you already have a perfect gun to learn on, and buying something smaller/lighter will only make your trigger problems worse. Learn to shoot the 220, and then start looking for smaller/lighter. You wont lose a dime in value if you wait to sell/trade the Sig, so there is no rush.
    Also, dry fire! It doesn't cost anything, at it will greatly improve your shooting.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Understood, but what we are telling you is that you already have a perfect gun to learn on, and buying something smaller/lighter will only make your trigger problems worse. Learn to shoot the 220, and then start looking for smaller/lighter. You wont lose a dime in value if you wait to sell/trade the Sig, so there is no rush.
    Also, dry fire! It doesn't cost anything, at it will greatly improve your shooting.
    OK, I will try some dry firing and I also ordered the Shooting Missology DVD. Thanks everyone for your responses.

I find that once you develope good shooting habits they follow you no matter what gun you shoot and vice versa,I think Tx CHL is taking 90+ days now,I carry a RIA 1911 the gun cost about 379.00 and will shoot the center out of the bullseye at 10 yds slow fire.I also carry a SA 5" 1911 and conceal them wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt 11 months out of the year,For times when I need something smaller and lighter I have a Keltec P11 9mm that is currently getting fixed.and will also be my BUG.The P11 has one of the stiffest triggers i've pulled in a long time and I need lots of practice to get to where I can feel the "break"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This one carries well....
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links