To trade or not to trade

To trade or not to trade

This is a discussion on To trade or not to trade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Sig P220 ST and it seems to be a great gun. I have only put about 200 rounds through it and it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question To trade or not to trade

I have a Sig P220 ST and it seems to be a great gun. I have only put about 200 rounds through it and it seems to be off down and left, but I think its just a sighting problem.

I applied for my CHL today and have been considering some pistols such as the Sig 1911 compact, Kimber Ultra Carry II, and the Colt Commander. These seem like they would be a better fit for CCW because they are smaller and lighter but would come at the price of trading my P220 because I don't have $1000 laying around at this point. I definitely want to stick with a .45 and preferably a 1911 if I trade.

Should I trade?

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Being a 220, I'd consider trading for a much smaller gun. CCW'ing such a big gun is a chore. There are plenty of much smaller .45s out there (3-4 inch 1911s, Kahrs, etc.). If it's your only gun, for sure
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

The 220 is a great gun, but if it is not meeting your needs fully then trade it for a gun that suits you more. You can always get another in the future.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

I have a Sig P220 ST and it seems to be a great gun. I have only put about 200 rounds through it and it seems to be off down and left, but I think its just a sighting problem
    Sounds like you're jumping the gun to me. I wouldn't say you've tried to work with it with a mere 200 rounds downrange? Is this the first actual pistol you've fired? Sorry if the question seems intrusive, but willing to trade an otherwise well known pistol design makes me wonder. You see-to me, a mere 200 rounds through a pistol doesn't automatically rule it out as working for the user---it's a give and take situation until one knows for sure, and to think you may have wasted 150 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Sounds like you're jumping the gun to me. I wouldn't say you've tried to work with it with a mere 200 rounds downrange? Is this the first actual pistol you've fired? Sorry if the question seems intrusive, but willing to trade an otherwise well known pistol design makes me wonder. You see-to me, a mere 200 rounds through a pistol doesn't automatically rule it out as working for the user---it's a give and take situation until one knows for sure, and to think you may have wasted 150 rounds.
    Don't get me wrong. I love the gun and can group fairly well for my experience level (besides the sights being a little off). And no this is my second pistol I have owned. My first was a S&W Sigma .40, and I hated it because of its super stiff trigger. My main concern with this gun is my ability to conceal it and carry it comfortably when I receive my CHL. Since this is my only pistol and I don't have the cash for another gun I was considering a trade.

Administrator
    LOL, low and left, eh? The sights are not off. But, you are right, the 220 is a tough gun for CCW. I'd try and sell it yourself first, its just like cars... you're going to get taken on a trade.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would normally never advocate trading in a gun, but between a 220 and a 1911, there is simply no comparison.

I'll look forward to your range report on your new Kimber Ultra or your Colt Commander.

And don't worry about that low/left thing...it's amazing how a real gun takes care of that problem. As sixto most eloquently pointed out, your low-left is probably not the sights, but is inherent to a poor trigger, which the 220, and many similiar guns are famous for.

Yes, you can train yourself to compensate for it, or you can just upgrade to a better weapon.

I would say your instincts for your trade are right on. BTW, this is not an objective suggestion at all. I detest the Sig 220 and I love 1911's.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    LOL, low and left, eh? The sights are not off. But, you are right, the 220 is a tough gun for CCW. I'd try and sell it yourself first, its just like cars... you're going to get taken on a trade.
    You might be right. I'm not the most experienced shooter but it was very consistent so I thought it was the sights. I guess selling it might bring a few more bucks since getting my CHL will take longer than I thought. I didn't realize it would be about 2 months. The are also supposedly backed up as well, so it might be longer

I sense a Kimber Ultra in your future...my Ultra CDP II is more accurate than I am and it's so easy to CCW.

Stay armed...get an Ultra...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I would normally never advocate trading in a gun, but between a 220 and a 1911, there is simply no comparison.

I'll look forward to your range report on your new Kimber Ultra or your Colt Commander.

And don't worry about that low/left thing...it's amazing how a real gun takes care of that problem. As sixto most eloquently pointed out, your low-left is probably not the sights, but is inherent to a poor trigger, which the 220, and many similiar guns are famous for.

Yes, you can train yourself to compensate for it, or you can just upgrade to a better weapon.

I would say your instincts for your trade are right on. BTW, this is not an objective suggestion at all. I detest the Sig 220 and I love 1911's.
    Lol, thanks for the feedback. I actually traded out with a guy at the range who was shooting a 1911 and after trying for a while to put a bullet through the exact center of the "X" I did it on the first shot with the 1911. Maybe a 1911 really is the gun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I sense a Kimber Ultra in your future...my Ultra CDP II is more accurate than I am and it's so easy to CCW.

Stay armed...get an Ultra...stay safe!
    I have heard that the Kimbers have problems ejecting casings for the first few hundred rounds or so until it is "broken in." Did you experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetalman View Post
    Lol, thanks for the feedback. I actually traded out with a guy at the range who was shooting a 1911 and after trying for a while to put a bullet through the exact center of the "X" I did it on the first shot with the 1911. Maybe a 1911 really is the gun for me.
    Like I said, it was not an objective post. Sigs are great weapons for a lot of people. I detest them. Sixto can probably 'draw' pictures in his targets with his Sig. I cannot. But with a 1911 I can make one ragged hole(I'm not very imaginative).

Sixto has the benefit of using my tax-dollars to pay for his practice. Considering the amount I pay in taxes, he should be pretty proficient in just about any weapon he wants.

For me, I don't have the luxury of top-notch instructors and unlimited practice ammo on somebody else's dime. So, I go with what works for me. And there just isn't anything out there like a 1911; for point-ability, take up on the trigger, and a crisp release.

I've been an avid shooter for more than 20 years, and have only discovered the 1911 in the last year or so, and I still leave the range with a huge grin on my face. It's just amazing what a 1911 will do for me vs what I had tried to do with other pistols.
    I have heard that the Kimbers have problems ejecting casings for the first few hundred rounds or so until it is "broken in." Did you experience this?
    All of my Kimbers have been perfect out of the box. There is a recommended break in period and this is due to the tolerances being very tight for a production pistol. Some people have had bad luck with Kimbers and considering the investment they put forth to own one, have been very vocal about their dissatisfaction.

This has achieved almost cult status and people who have never held a Kimber have become 'experts' on their lack of quality control and they always have a friend of a friend who has had problems. I guess I am just that one in a million customer who has been happy with every purchase.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I've had three Kimbers (both internal and external extractors), still have two (Ultra & Compact)...never a problem with ejecting casings, or any other problems. Any 'mechanical' gun, regardless of the price, can have problems.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Oh come on now guys... it isn't that hard to shoot a double action, I can get just about anyone where they need to be with one in a few hours time.
    Yes, a 1911 is easier to shoot bulls eyes with, but is that really learning the proper way to combat shoot? Don't run away from a great platform to another, your problems will follow. Solve your issue first, then if you still want to move to a 1911, you will be in good shape to do so.

A little story about being low and left; When I first switch to Glocks I was always low and left with my G22 (my only Glock at the time) I was very consistent, one ragged hole about 8 o'clock on the bullseye. I swore up and down the sights were bad, the gun was defective etc., and got a little miffed when those who knew better told me that it was a me problem, the gun was fine.
    So, I finally sought help from a friend who knew what he was doing, and he set me straight. Funny thing was, I ended up being a lot better of a shooter with all kinds of pistols, but not before a spent a lot of money trying different sights etc, when it was me the whole time. Fast forward about 10 years, I now know its probably the most common problem for newer shooters, and its an easy fix.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had a SIG P220... sold it to buy a CCW... now I regret selling it. I should have saved a little longer and just bought a good CCW. The SIG P220 is a very reliable and dependable gun.

And chances are you will not get THE CCW on your first attempt... personally, I've purchased at least two other CCW that did not really work well for me before I found what started working well for me. Good Luck!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links