Defensive Carry banner

Best place to have 1911 hard chromed?

13K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Sportsterguy 
#1 ·
Hi all I have a Norinco 1911 I want to have hard chromed or brush hard chromed and was wondering the best place to have this done at? I'd prefer a place with a fast turnaround time and who does good work. While I'm at it I'd also like to have the "made in china by norinco" marking removed from the dust cover can they do this also and is it legal? I've heard good things about fords does anyone know what they're back log is right now? Thanks.

#2 ·
#3 ·
It may (or may not) be legal to remove the 'made in china' mark but I would advise against it.

The frame is arsenic hardeded steel. If you reweld it to fill it in, you'll release a little arsenic and be forced to re-heat-treat to the proper profile.

The Norinco frames are really strong. I guess that is the beenefit of a country with no regard for worker safety or any type of environmental laws!

(Norinco 1911 here too)

#4 ·
I have a series 70 Colt Combat Commander that I sent to Metaloy in the late 1980's. It has been my primary carry weapon for all those years and has been fired extensively during that time. The finish still looks like new and has never cracked, peeled, or chipped. It is impervious to sweat and humidity. In short, their finish lives up to their advertising. It's the real deal. You can find them at Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish - and no, I don't have any affiliation with them. I'm just a satisfied customer.

#8 ·
Have you thought about having it polished? If you have it polished, you get the "chrome" look (mirrored if you want it that shiny), and you don't have to maintain it like chrome coating. It will never rust, and the turn around tim eis about 5-7 days. Let me know if you are interested. There is a guy over on GlockTalk that does em for around $55 I think, including shipping back.

#10 ·
No problem OD. Bob and his crew do nothing but OUTSTANDING work on everything they touch. When I lived in Clearwater Fl. I went to their shop and was given a tour. Some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. They have since moved to Alabama as I have moved to NC to avoid the rat race down there. There brushed hard chrome finish is KA IMO and looks just like stainless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.