Best place to have 1911 hard chromed?

This is a discussion on Best place to have 1911 hard chromed? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all I have a Norinco 1911 I want to have hard chromed or brush hard chromed and was wondering the best place to have ...

Hi all I have a Norinco 1911 I want to have hard chromed or brush hard chromed and was wondering the best place to have this done at? I'd prefer a place with a fast turnaround time and who does good work. While I'm at it I'd also like to have the "made in china by norinco" marking removed from the dust cover can they do this also and is it legal? I've heard good things about fords does anyone know what they're back log is right now? Thanks.

Fords work is outstanding, the wait is agonizing

I have had several guns refinished by Fords....hard chrome, nickel, black nickel.....got a HK P7 there now that has been there almost 2 months. If you can wait....they are good.

Here is a place who has better prices I have heard good reports Hard Chrome Plating & Electroless Nickel Plating, Armalloy & Gun Bluing by Mahovsky's Metalifeabout.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

It may (or may not) be legal to remove the 'made in china' mark but I would advise against it.

The frame is arsenic hardeded steel. If you reweld it to fill it in, you'll release a little arsenic and be forced to re-heat-treat to the proper profile.

The Norinco frames are really strong. I guess that is the beenefit of a country with no regard for worker safety or any type of environmental laws!

(Norinco 1911 here too)

I have a series 70 Colt Combat Commander that I sent to Metaloy in the late 1980's. It has been my primary carry weapon for all those years and has been fired extensively during that time. The finish still looks like new and has never cracked, peeled, or chipped. It is impervious to sweat and humidity. In short, their finish lives up to their advertising. It's the real deal. You can find them at Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish - and no, I don't have any affiliation with them. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Man View Post
    I have a series 70 Colt Combat Commander that I sent to Metaloy in the late 1980's. It has been my primary carry weapon for all those years and has been fired extensively during that time. The finish still looks like new and has never cracked, peeled, or chipped. It is impervious to sweat and humidity. In short, their finish lives up to their advertising. It's the real deal. You can find them at Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish - and no, I don't have any affiliation with them. I'm just a satisfied customer.
    +1 on Metaloy good work and fairly fast turn around
    I had my USP and my officers 1911 done
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Check out Robar Premium Finishing & Firearms Home Page. Their turn-around might be long, but they offer lifetime warranties on much, if not all, of their work.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up AW&P

AW&P. These folks do great work and their prices are very affordable. Highly recommend them. They do alot of work for the big names in the firearms industry. Good luck. Here is their link.

New Page 1
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Have you thought about having it polished? If you have it polished, you get the "chrome" look (mirrored if you want it that shiny), and you don't have to maintain it like chrome coating. It will never rust, and the turn around tim eis about 5-7 days. Let me know if you are interested. There is a guy over on GlockTalk that does em for around $55 I think, including shipping back.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

OD*
    Another good place;
    Accurate Plating and Weaponry, Inc.

Oops, didn't see your's, Sportsterguy, sorry.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    No problem OD. Bob and his crew do nothing but OUTSTANDING work on everything they touch. When I lived in Clearwater Fl. I went to their shop and was given a tour. Some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet. They have since moved to Alabama as I have moved to NC to avoid the rat race down there. There brushed hard chrome finish is KA IMO and looks just like stainless.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links