RUST!?!?

This is a discussion on RUST!?!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is the slide above/behind the rail of my Kimber rusting after one afternoon of carrying? Not finish wear, actual rust. It wasn't against my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUST!?!?

RUST!?!?

Why is the slide above/behind the rail of my Kimber rusting after one afternoon of carrying? Not finish wear, actual rust. It wasn't against my skin, it wasn't against the leather of the holster, hell it wasn't even against the denim of my jeans at that location. The one location of the gun that wasn't in contact with anything but air is rusting. It wasn't there before today.

2. Remove Ads

I was gonna guess saltwater climate, but you are in kansas.
    Did it rain today?
    Take a good brush and some clp to it, should be fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Get a acid brush or q-tip and some naval gel, dab on wipe off problem solved...

Dave

The barrels are in the white. They must be kept oiled at all times. Ive got a bunch over ten years old and no rust, including two that I carry daily.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    IMO, it's pretty sad that some of these 800+ dollar guns have more issues than guns that cost considerably less. Kimber makes some nice guns, but their QC seems to have gone downhill.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Model and finish please!

I assume it is the black finish.

Buy a silicone cloth after taking buckeye or cody's advice. Take a minute every few days and give your carry a light coating with the cloth. It takes no time at all, and will protect your EDC in between detailed cleanings.

The owners manual of the Kimber says rust voids your warranty. Not sure if that is actually true as I have never had to send anything back to them, but they seem to think rust = neglect. I tend to agree with them.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

all it takes is for some sweat to get on it and sit for awhile saltwater is very corrosive,I had a RIA 1911 that was rusting from skin contact,my solution was to buy some KG gun finish from midway usa and get an airbrush after stripping the gun and refinishing it this coating is saltwater resistant after being tested submerged for 72 hours abrasion resistant and self lubricating.I also make sure any holster I wear has a side guard but I do have a High Noon split decisionm for my Keltec but if it ever starts rusting it's getting the KG treatment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Why is the slide above/behind the rail of my Kimber rusting after one afternoon of carrying? Not finish wear, actual rust. It wasn't against my skin, it wasn't against the leather of the holster, hell it wasn't even against the denim of my jeans at that location. The one location of the gun that wasn't in contact with anything but air is rusting. It wasn't there before today.
    Kaz, I live in the same climate. What do you do with your pistol when you're not carrying? I had the rear Novak on my Officer's rust on me, turns out the foam in my Cannon lock box on the headboard got damp.

Now I keep a silicone rag in my glove box, the safe, and my bed box. They came get a bit slick, so I have a dry shop rag, too. I don't think it's a Kimber QC problem, or that you're lax in caring for it, just sometimes you don't now what to watch out for till it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    IMO, it's pretty sad that some of these 800+ dollar guns have more issues than guns that cost considerably less. Kimber makes some nice guns, but their QC seems to have gone downhill.
    Interesting observation.

It's not a problem with care or maintenence. That I can garuntee. I care for all my guns very well and never saw rust on anything I've owned until now. And rust isn't always a sign of poor care. If metal isn't cleaned properly before finishing it can lead to problems.

The only area that might have been exposed to moisture was the right rear of the slide and safety. I sweat some but it didn't do anything at all there. The area is in the thinner part of the slide itself near the muzzle. It's the recessed part above the rail and below the upper area of the slide, where it shouldn't have contacted anything and had air to dry any moisture. It didn't look like rust I've seen started by moisture before, it was little speckles.

Besides, perfect to very noticble rust after abour 12 hours of carry? At that rate I'll have to strip it down and clean it up every day I carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by adaman04
    Model and finish please!

I assume it is the black finish.
    Pro TLE RL II. And yeah, the black finish I can't remember the name of at the moment.

Administrator
    Once you get rid of the rust that is on there now I would suggest a light coat of Renaissance Wax.
    Especially if you are carrying IWB.
    Search Ebay...it's always on there.
    It will not make your firearm slippery.
    It's a fantastic protective coating for valuable metal.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That wax is also what Tony at Milt Sparks recommends for leather.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Renaissance Wax, cool. I'll look around for that, thanks. I was carrying OWB, but it'll be IWB when the Bear Claw gets in.

Administrator
    FYI ~ RENAISSANCE WAX is used in the following places in the U.S. - The Smithsonian Institute, Colonial Williamsburg Conservatory, Abraham Lincoln Residence, Vicksburg Military Park and Museum, Henry Ford Museum, Academy of Arts, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NRA Museum, Rockefeller Restorations, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Hilton Hotels, BYU Museum of Art, National Ornamental Metals Museum, as well as other museums, government agencies, craftsmen, collectors both professional and amateur alike.

In the United Kingdom it is used in the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace, Military Museums at Aldershot, H.M. the Queens Royal Armourer, The National Museum of Antiquities - Scotland, Royal Armories (London & Leeds), The Imperial War Museum, Windsor Castle, and The Tower of London.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links