Walther PPK, CZ 83 carriers, stand up and be counted!

This is a discussion on Walther PPK, CZ 83 carriers, stand up and be counted! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey again! Now I know many people do not consider the .380 to be worth much concerning self-defense, yet these small blowback weapons are one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPK, CZ 83 carriers, stand up and be counted!

Walther PPK, CZ 83 carriers, stand up and be counted!

Hey again!

Now I know many people do not consider the .380 to be worth much concerning self-defense, yet these small blowback weapons are one of the biggest sellers in the gun market. Does anyone on here tote a Walther PPK or a CZ 83 at least part of the time? Post pics if ya got'em.

James B.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Thumbs up I sure do carry a PPK/S Sometimes

It's a Stainless American. I'll post a photo of mine soon.
    I also have a GREAT, Crisp, Walther pistol photo.
    Let me see if I can dig it out of my computer for you & post it here.
    It's hiding in my computer somewhere.
    OK ~ Here It Be:
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I can now admit I carry a PPK everyday. Tried the Bersa but i couldn't trust it. I had a number of FTF. After you shoot and carry a PPK you know why they are so much more expensive. The PPK is a great shooter, reliable and a very practical size to carry.
    I have often wondered if the 38oz. "wonder guns" actually get carried.
    I know the .380 is on the small size. However a weapon I can trust and thats with me all the time is better than anything in my nightstand at home.

Actually, a PPK or PPK/s is on my short list of future purchases. Something about the styling really is appealing. For a "mousegun" I'd rather have the PPK (s) than a P3AT - just my personal taste, please don't flame me.
    Jack

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Proud owner of CZ-83. I love this gun. Flawless in operation and a great size for carry. Excellent workmanship. Ambi safety for those of us who are wrong handed. Can carry cocked and locked. I figure with todays powerful hollowpoints, it will usually do the trick! Highly reccommended!!

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank
    Proud owner of CZ-83. I love this gun. Flawless in operation and a great size for carry. Excellent workmanship. Ambi safety for those of us who are wrong handed. Can carry cocked and locked. I figure with todays powerful hollowpoints, it will usually do the trick! Highly reccommended!!

You prefer hollowpoint over FMJ in your .380? Interesting, I thought most folks chose FMJ for the extra penetration. I've got no personal experience with the caliber so I'm just gathering info - I would expect Speer GD or Corbon loads might equalize the penetration factor, huh? I like the Sig 230/232 but absolutely HATE the European mag release. That leaves the Bersa Thunder, Walther PPK and Makarov on the top of my BUG caliber list of wants ... maybe even a Walther AND a Mak!
    Jack

Administrator

Ivory Grips

This was my old Ebay Photo.
    It is a pic of the Ivory Grips that I made for my personal Walther PPK/S. Then I decided to list them to see how much $$ they would fetch. They did great for themselves & my reserve price was met & I sold them. There are not too many people making Grade AAA Ivory Grips for the PPK/S. They were a PITA to make and fit so I know why more people are NOT making them.
    I thought you folks might like seeing the pic.
    By the way the grips got almost as much as I paid for the pistol.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    You prefer hollowpoint over FMJ in your .380? Interesting, I thought most folks chose FMJ for the extra penetration. I've got no personal experience with the caliber so I'm just gathering info - I would expect Speer GD or Corbon loads might equalize the penetration factor, huh? I like the Sig 230/232 but absolutely HATE the European mag release. That leaves the Bersa Thunder, Walther PPK and Makarov on the top of my BUG caliber list of wants ... maybe even a Walther AND a Mak!
    Jack

Doesn't my screen name say anything! lol :] I just want to inflict as much damage as possible. FMJ may go in deeper and miss anything vital, HP may not go as deep but may spread enough to just nick a vital organ. Just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    I like the Sig 230/232 but absolutely HATE the European mag release. That leaves the Bersa Thunder, Walther PPK and Makarov on the top of my BUG caliber list of wants ... maybe even a Walther AND a Mak!
    Jack
    Strike the Mak off if you can't stand Euro release.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by windowman2
    I have often wondered if the 38oz. "wonder guns" actually get carried.
    Depends on your holster and your conviction.

I wouldn't feel unarmed with my PP or Mak, but if I'm going to have to keep track of a firearm, I'd rather it be one that I haven't compromised on anything in regards to.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    Strike the Mak off if you can't stand Euro release.

Well crap, you're just a killjoy aren't you.
    Well, that leaves the PPK or /s and, oh yeah, the COLT MUSTANG! Not familiar with the CZ pistols, guess I'll have to do some research. I swear I remember Sig making the 230/232 with an "American" style mag release, guess it could've been a Bersa and I just wasn't paying close enough attention but does anyone else remember that?
    Jack

I carried a PPK for MANY years in a Rybka pocket holster. Once you figure out its quirks it's a fine carry gun. It's in semi retirement now and I put some Hogue grips on it (the origionals cracked too much to use - one of the quirks is don't overtighten the grip screw).

If I had a vote on your good choices, I'd vote for the Mak first (the mag release isn't a problem for me after a little practice), the CZ second, (depending on the day of the week, both number 1 and 2 can change places), and third, the PPK. **The MAK is very well made, very dependable, strong as an OX, is available in the (slightly) more potent 9X19 (no longer hard to find), and you can buy several MAKs for the cost of one PPK. **The CZ is also of high quality (what else would you expect from CZ?), very accurate and dependable. ** The PPC is expensive, cuts the hillary out of my hand, but it's prettty. I often carry the CZ, with a MAK as the "truck gun", even though I prefer the 9x19 round. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks Geezer. As I said, I don't have any experience with this caliber so it's interesting where things fit. One downside, I don't recall seeing any CZz in stock anywhere locally - prolly have to go the FFL transfer route or special order.

I've got plenty of time though as my next purchase will be something in .45ACP ... not sure exactly what yet though.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer
    **The MAK is very well made, very dependable, strong as an OX, is available in the (slightly) more potent 9X19 (no longer hard to find), and you can buy several MAKs for the cost of one PPK.
    9x19 is 9mm Luger.

9x18 is 9mm Makarov.

9x17 is 380 ACP.

Don't mix 'em up. Bad things happen.

As far as no longer hard to find, it depends on the area, availability of imported ammo, and choices are very limited.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links