Good Kahr-ma Working for Me

This is a discussion on Good Kahr-ma Working for Me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to use my US Government Economic Stimulus check to pay for the lion's share of a new all-stainless Kahr MK9. I always like ...

Thread: Good Kahr-ma Working for Me

Good Kahr-ma Working for Me

I decided to use my US Government Economic Stimulus check to pay for the lion's share of a new all-stainless Kahr MK9. I always like having a gun on hand that will hide in a front pocket, but don't want to go less than 9mm/38 SPCL. This model fits that criteria, plus it can (and will) be fitted with Crimson Trace lasergrips; Kahr's polymer frame guns cannot.

I checked out retail availability using the Gun Genie feature at Davidson gun distributor's Gallery of Guns website and found none in stock, so I signed up for their email alert to inform me when they took in some MK9's.

I felt like I was experiencing good karma when the government check arrived on the same day as Davidson's email that two MK9's had entered their distribution system, and rushed to pay a deposit online and arrange to have it shipped to the local gunstore of my choosing. Davidson's supplied a FedEx tracking no. which tells me the store received the gun on Thursday. I'm hoping to be able to pick it up later today.

My next door neighbor owns a revolver and belongs to the NRA, but has always turned down my invitations to go shooting at my club. He's heard good things about Kahr pistols and sounds excited to help me break it in, so I hope to make a regular shooter out of him.

Now I am having fun holster shopping. I'll want a pocket holster for most of the time I carry it, but need an open carry holster when I enter a restaurant (concealed carry is illegal in Virginia in establishments that serve alcohol). That'll probably be a paddle holster for quick on/off. 'might also get an IWB tuckable for when I wear a couple of my trousers that have tiny pockets.

2. Remove Ads

Useful gun, the MK9

I've had a MK9 for about a year and have been quite happy with it. It has been completely reliable for me, is small enough to hide very easily, and handles 9mm recoil easily because of its weight. It is also surprisingly accurate for such a small gun with a "two finger" grip. I carry it in a Comp-Tac tuckable IWB holster called the "2 o'clock" for appendix carry.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I've been carrying a K9, the big brother to that gun for close to 15 years now. Good on ya!

I picked up a PM9 maybe three months ago and love it. Fun to shot good accuracy out to 20 yards. Never tryed any more. I did my 200 rounds brake in and also now have another 400+ rounds through 100% reliable.
    I just ordered a little bear IWB. hope to have pictures in the near fetcher. He just added it to his list of guns.

Range Report

My shooting buddy and I took the new MK9 to the range today and ran 100 rounds of FMJ through it with no failures of any kind; so we're now halfway through the factory recommended break-in. I'm going back tomorrow with my neighbor to complete the break-in; I'll make a point of feeding it some JHP's then.

I was impressed with the silky trigger, especially compared to the revolver-like trigger feel of the similarly sized Kel-Tec P-11 I've been using. Recoil was very controllable, due to a combination of the high grip position common to all Kahr's and this gun's heavy all-steel frame. It was easy to quickly acquire a sight picture and fire accurately at 15-20 feet. Beyond that took a little more care to align sights to get accurate hits.

So far, I'm very happy with it.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    How's the weight if you pocket carry? I have a PM9 and have been thinking about swapping out for a MK9.

Good for you
    We love Kahr's i carry a PM45 & my wife carries a PM9
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Range Report No. Two

I fired another 120 rounds through the MK9 this evening, 20 being +P hollow points. No feeding problems, no ejection problems, nothing. The factory recommended break-in is now done and I'd be ready to begin carrying it but I don't have holsters for it yet.

I had two helpers breaking in the MK9 at the range:
    My neighbor came along with his S&W revolver which he hadn't fired in three years. I think he may be interested in joining the shooting club and I know he's interested in owning a Kahr. My wife came along too; I've been trying for ages to get her to the range. She had forgotten how to check if a pistol is unloaded and how to load the first round into the chamber; I've got to find a way to get her shooting more often! My thumb is all torn up 'cause I spent all of my time loading magazines for her, but that's a price worth paying to get her to go shooting.

I've been in love with my MK9 for several years now. It is too heavy for front pocket carry but works fine for back pocket wallet carry. I almost always carry OWB. Hume offers a great holster, the JIT model, all leather and in the 20 buck range. Despite the low price, it is perfect.

While the little pistol was never intended for such, I can bounce milk jugs at 100 yards with fair reliability. And for 20 - 30 ft. speed work the gun is incredible. You made a good choice and you will never regret it. Great little pistol!

I'm really interested in getting an MK9. I especially like the wood grips. An all-steel pistol of this size should be much more comfortable to shoot than the ultra-lights. I'll bet pocket-carry in a Desantis Nemesis would work just fine.

Now I've just got to find a deal . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links