Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use? - Page 2

Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use?

This is a discussion on Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paul45 I have a G23 that I added a Barsto 9mm barrel to it. At the start, I had numerious problems but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I have a G23 that I added a Barsto 9mm barrel to it. At the start, I had numerious problems but once I change the EJECTOR, the EXTRACTOR and added G19 mags, it worked perfect. I have been shooting it for over 4 years. The Barsto is TOPS!!! I really had issues until I changed to the 9mm EXJECTOR housing. Then everything worked like a dream.
    I don't have a Barsto or a SL but have heard many good things. If you got the money go with the Barsto or SL! I would recommend against the Lone Wolf barrel like I did. I never use it since I ended up with a G34 right after that. If its just for practice buy what the bank can afford or the wife will approve.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I had the same questions several months ago, I got mixed reviews as you do here so I just decided I had to try it myself. I have a G23 that I have converted to 9mm. Well, only the barrel and mags. I have about 1000 rounds through it and can honestly say that I have not had a single misfeed.(and that's shooting the cheap stuff) However, if you cycle the rounds through by hand it is not a smooth cycle. It almost feels like the action will not open. I bought the Wolf barrel and I am otherwise totally pleased with it. At the same time, I bought the 3 LB. connector and wow did my groups shrink. The combo of the lighter trigger the lighter 9mm round and the heavy "bull barrel" gave it some extra weight so I can dial in and hold it better. I love having the option of 9mm to 40 with an easy barrel change. During hunting season I swap back to the 40, it's nice having it on my hip during black bear season and no, I don't carry the cheap stuff then or when I'm CCW. I never tried 9s in the 40 mags because I just couldn't see it working at all. But it might, who knows,the Glock is a wonder in itself.
    The 40 is much more desirable for SD but who can afford to shoot 40s all the time? I also read that any conversion to a SD weapon would be a nightmare in the courtroom if you ever had to use it on a BG. I say all is fair in love, war and SD. Good luck, I think you will be pleased. Send me a PM and let me know how it goes.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

I'm just asking here, but why would you want to mod a .40 to 9mm? You have to think there are going to be problems with the recoil spring, the ejector and other thingies that are handling cartridges, bullets and shells they are not designed for.

The cost of .40 is only a few cents more per round than 9mm. It will take a long time to pay for a $100+ conversion at 2-3 cents per round. So, what do you gain by doing the conversion?

a .40 for black bear? Geez I've seen it all :)

Recoil springs are the same. Ejectors are quite similar and if yours doesn't work it is only a $4 part.

I went with a 9mm conversion for more ammo availability (vs the 357 I usually carry) AND I like to shoot reloads. A stock glock barrel in ANY caliber is not suitable for shooting lead bullets.

Where I'm at, 40s are about .15 to .20 cent more expensive. In a thousand rounds that comes to $150.00 You get to practice with the same weapon, you have the option if you want it. . .I like options. While in 9mm mode, the mags will hold 15 v/s 13 for the 40. I don't know how many 40s you've squeezed off in a G23 but I only need about 2 mags to get my fill. I can shoot the 9s all day long. I don't need two Glocks, one is just fine for me. I certainly can't explain why the thingies don't break, I've pondered that alot myself but it works, it's accurate and so far reliable. I've had every piece of my Glock apart and laying before me on my kitchen table, so if it breaks I can fix it too. if I can't fix it, I know a man that can. Bang bang goes the Glock. .
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gretske View Post
    I'm just asking here, but why would you want to mod a .40 to 9mm? You have to think there are going to be problems with the recoil spring, the ejector and other thingies that are handling cartridges, bullets and shells they are not designed for.

The cost of .40 is only a few cents more per round than 9mm. It will take a long time to pay for a $100+ conversion at 2-3 cents per round. So, what do you gain by doing the conversion?
    I have multiple reasons.

1: Cheaper ammo. 9mm ammo is considerably cheaper than .40 where I am. Plinking with a .22 is fun, but a 9mm is funner, and both are cheap compared to the .40.

2: Ability to use multiple calibers if one is not available. As popular as .40 is, 9mm ammo is still much more plentiful, and if I end up having to scrounge, I want the option of using either one.

3: Instruction. New shooters can be very cartridge sensitive. Personally, I can barely tell the difference between my USP .40 and my friends USP 9mm, but I think it's good to have the smaller one to work up from.

4: It rounds out my collection, while still being compatible with my current ammo stock of .40 and .45.

5: It gives me an excuse to buy another gun.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Of course the 40 is NOT my primary weapon for bear hunting, (should've clarified that) it's there because it's light, "powerful" (enough to finish the job) and just in case I've shot my trusty 742 in 30-06 empty , "I've been known to do that a few times"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links