Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use?

This is a discussion on Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With some of the recent threads going around, I've decided I need to pick up a backup compact handgun to allow me to stay armed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock .40 to 9mm conversion - who has one and what mags do you use?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

With some of the recent threads going around, I've decided I need to pick up a backup compact handgun to allow me to stay armed after either a post-self-defense my-gun-is-now-evidence confiscation or a door-to-door Katrina-style "all your guns are belong to us" event. That second purpose may require stashing it in some unfriendly environments for a while, which essentially drove me to choose a Glock, for its simplicity and corrosion-resistant finish.

But I also want to make this pistol as versatile as I can. To this end, I started looking at conversion barrels to allow a .40 caliber Glock 23 to fire 9mm ammo. Seems pretty straight-forward, and there are two in particular that I've been looking at.

Lone Wolf 40-9 Barrel
    EFK Fire-Dragon Conversion Barrel

If anyone's using one of these here, what are your thoughts? Are they reliable? Worth it?

I'm especially curious what magazines you use with each barrel. The Lone Wolf recommends 9mm magazines, but the EFK page says Glocks can use the original .40 mags. I suppose this might reflect a feed ramp optimization that EFK did and maybe Lone Wolf didn't, but I'm hoping someone will know for sure.

Also, I want to see how many people have had issues with the extractor or ejector. Supposedly, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In the end, I'm looking for one gun that will fire .40 or 9mm reliably with as few replacements as possible.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I went this route not long ago.

In my case, I swear by the .357sig but commercial ammo is very tough to find in my area. If the SHTF, I can drop in the 9mm barrel and have a much better shot at finding ammo.

Anyway, I am using a LWD 9mm barrel in my G31. Reliability has been perfect using 9mm magazines and the .40/.357 ejector.

I havent tried shooting 9mm ammo from a .40/.357 mag. Some folks on here have stated that it will jam with some frequency.

I just tried loading a new glock .40 mag with 9mm. The feed lips on the mag are toooo wide to keep that narrow 9mm round in check. With a mag about halfway full, that top round starts to nose too high for comfort.

You could always try it. Or grab a couple of dedicated 9mm mags. Heck you can even get some of those 31rd mags :)

I don't want to hijack this thread but it is related. Can a person take a 9mm barrel out of a g17 and stick it in a 22 (or 19 into a 23)?
    Ive been thinking about shooting my 22 with my 17 barrel to save on the cost of ammo...
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Briefly, to not derail the thread.

Some early 9mms shouldn't be used for .40 or 357, and early 40s should not be used for .357 barrels, you can check with glock for details if you have your frame serial number. Some very early 9mm barrels are too thin in diameter to interchange

Barrels in the fullsize frames interchange (17, 17L, 22,31, 34,35) - they don't fit the smaller frames.

The midsize barrels (19,23,32) can interchange in the midsize autos, and can be installed in the compacts (26, 27,33) but they will be overly long.

I assume that the .45GAP barrels interchange with the 9mm/40/357s. I'm not sure about the .45ACP or 10MM as they are a larger footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfox462 View Post
    I don't want to hijack this thread but it is related. Can a person take a 9mm barrel out of a g17 and stick it in a 22 (or 19 into a 23)?
    Ive been thinking about shooting my 22 with my 17 barrel to save on the cost of ammo...
    from what I've read, no. That's why there is a market for these specialized conversion barrels. I don't know exactly what the differences are vs a stock 9mm barrel though.

Shizzlemah - yeah, that's my backup plan, it just means twice as many mags. I stopped by a gun store earlier today to play with their G22 mags, and they do grab the 9mm cartridges, but as you said, the angle is pretty steep.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I went with the LWD barrel, and I use 9mm factory Glock mags with it. I am completely satisfied with my barrel performance. Every bit as accurate as my factory Glocks, and I have never experienced a failure with it.

jhfox462, DON'T use a 9mm barrel in a .40 or .357 slide.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I assume that the .45GAP barrels interchange with the 9mm/40/357s. I'm not sure about the .45ACP or 10MM as they are a larger footprint.
    I don't believe the .45 barrels (GAP or ACP) would function in a 9mm or 40 slide. The breech-face would not be large enough. I know you can get away with going down in caliber (40 to 9 for example), but I'm pretty sure you can't go up.

Boomstick, did you ever try feeding from your .40 magazines or did you jump straight to the 9mm mags?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have a Lone wolf Conversation for MY G35. Its a 9mm Conv... Its Okay it was $99 and you kind of get what you pay for. I was running 40 mags in it and about every 30 shot it would get finicky. I put in 9mm mags and the problem seem to go away. After you get about 2-300 rounds through it it starts to get finicky though.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have the LWD 9mm conversion barrel and use the G26 mags and G19 mags with the A&G grip spacer for my G27. I have not had any issues of failure to feed or eject after 500 rounds of running WWB 9mm through the conversion barrel.
    Freedom isn't free! Don't ever take it forgranted!

the 9mm conversions are horrible and i suggest waiting till glock releases a good conversion kit for them.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

The .40 mags will hold 9mm cartridges (sorta). They are a great way to practice malfunction drills imo.

With 9mm mags, I never had a single issue with my Storm Lake conversion barrel.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have 40,000+ rounds through a Storm Lake barrel in a G35 with no problems. I use 9mm mags from my G17--the .40 mags will feed 9mm, but it just felt wrong...<g>. I don't know where "horrible" came from, my experience has been outstanding.

Just be sure to use full tilt charges or factory ammo. WWB works perfectly.

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'll give it a shot. Gotta buy the G23 first though. Hmm, there's a gun show coming up this weekend... hmmmmmm....

I have a G23 that I added a Barsto 9mm barrel to it. At the start, I had numerious problems but once I change the EJECTOR, the EXTRACTOR and added G19 mags, it worked perfect. I have been shooting it for over 4 years. The Barsto is TOPS!!! I really had issues until I changed to the 9mm EXJECTOR housing. Then everything worked like a dream.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links