Gun Suggestion

Gun Suggestion

This is a discussion on Gun Suggestion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to get a new carry gun and was hoping I could get some suggestions for ones people have tried that would be good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Suggestion

Gun Suggestion

I'm looking to get a new carry gun and was hoping I could get some suggestions for ones people have tried that would be good to look at and try out at the gun shop. I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:

- 9mm
    - Must have a thumb safety (no discussion on why this isn't necessary please)
    - Would prefer a hammer, but striker is also acceptable
    - 3-4.25" barrel
    - 16+ round magazine capacity
    - Something in around the 300-600ish price range.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR9, but with it being semi new and the recall I'm a little apprehensive about it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Senior Moderator
    I'm thinking Springfield XD. I'm pretty sure they make them with thumb safeties now if you want them or at least you'll be able to do so soon.

It won't have a hammer but it will have the capacity you are looking for.

Or you could try the Springfield EMP. It will have a hammer, but not your desired capacity. However, it would be out of your price range.

I'm going to vote for the Springfield XD.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Very happy with my SR9. Recall sucks, yes, but Ruger will take care of me. Conceals well, and comfortably. Shoots better than I can.

-JT

Maybe something from the CZ lineup, or a short barreled 1911 used.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I agree with Limatunes...when I first read your post I was thinking one of the newer XD9's.

You sure do ask a lot out of a pistol, though.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

A Sig, XD, or Beretta. The XD would get my vote
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    CZ 75 Compact. It falls a bit short on rounds, only being 14+1 but other than that it would fit your requirements.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm thinking Springfield XD. I'm pretty sure they make them with thumb safeties now if you want them or at least you'll be able to do so soon.
    I think the only XDs that have thumb safeties now are the .45s, but I would think they would change that. However, the XD does have the 1911-style grip safety.

The Berettas and CZs are good choices as well. You could also look at a 9mm 1911 or a used Hi Power, but I don't think you will get the capacity you want.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Browning Hi Power. Best pistol I've ever felt in my hands and has taken over my SA Champion as a carry gun. Has a thumb safety which I prefer on my weapons. Slightly short on rounds but 13 should get the job done if you do your part. Next would be a Berretta Vertec. Use mine for IPSC and it is the most reliable auto I've ever owned. Has a straight grip like the 1911 and the barrel is flush at the end of the slide making it a good looking rig IMO.

BHP

Beretta Vertec
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; July 8th, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Pics
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

VIP Member
    HK USP is a nice weapon.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by RPinSC View Post
    I'm looking to get a new carry gun and was hoping I could get some suggestions for ones people have tried that would be good to look at and try out at the gun shop. I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria:

- 9mm
    - Must have a thumb safety (no discussion on why this isn't necessary please)
    - Would prefer a hammer, but striker is also acceptable
    - 3-4.25" barrel
    - 16+ round magazine capacity
    - Something in around the 300-600ish price range.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR9, but with it being semi new and the recall I'm a little apprehensive about it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
    CZ-75 fits your description. Same size and weight as a 1911, I carry them both (interchangeably, not together). Within your price range, you still have the choice of different configurations; DAO, de-cocker, Poly frame, SAO, - mine is one of the original old, steel, full-sized DA/SA with thumb safety (and +P rated; even occasional +P+ wouldn't hurt it - but why?). 16+1 capacity. I carry it cocked-&-locked just like my 1911, but with "re-strike" capability. If you wish to manually de-cock it, it carries DA/SA. You can even engage the safety while de-cocked, FWIW. Much more accurate than I am. I'm quite pleased with it.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I appreciate the input. I ended up going with the CZ-75 as a couple of people suggested. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it feels great in my hand and I love all the options it gives, especially the DA/SA option.

In regards to your post Chuck, what is the "re-strike" capability you mentioned?

Re-strike: If you have a round that fails to fire (hard primer, or not seated properly, etc.) then all you have to do is pull the DA trigger again (re-strike). Something like 90 or 95% of the time (or more; I don't know the real number), the primer will fire on the second strike. Much faster than the old (1911-style) "Tap-Rack-Bang" drill, and instinctive rather than taught and drilled - and drilled - and drilled . . . .
    Enjoy your new friend. You done well.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Springfield XD for sure. Ruger is good but has some problems also. Beretta is also great but heavy, Sig's are the choice of experts but then again heavy except the P-250 but hold off til all the bugs are worked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links