Cant decide, jframe or Kahr?

This is a discussion on Cant decide, jframe or Kahr? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I have a cz p01 and its just to big for carry in the summer in florida. Its beyond hot here and want something ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cant decide, jframe or Kahr?

Cant decide, jframe or Kahr?

Ok, I have a cz p01 and its just to big for carry in the summer in florida. Its beyond hot here and want something smaller. I had a LCP on order , im just not waiting any more and really dont feel comfortable with a .380 round quite yet. I really like the S&W642 w/CS on it or one of the smaller 9mm kahr pistols. Either the cw9 or the pm9.

Has anyone shot both of these guns, j-frame and a kahr? If they have, how compairable was the recoil? Im leaning towards the 642 revolver. Ive heard mixed things about people being able to shoot a lightweight revolver well, compared to the kahr's, which I hear they are very accurate. Thats why I like the idea of the extra meat and accuracy of the Criminson trace grips on there. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have both (PM9 and 442), just shot a lengthy combat course with both and would have to give the nod to the Kahr. However, as much as a fan of Kahrs that I am, I have to say they are not for inexperienced shooters. The can be slightly touchy due to operator error. Once you work through those shooters issues, they are great.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Having shot both a 637 and a CW9 (and P9), I too would give the nod to the Kahr; the recoil is much less objectionable. Also, I find the Kahr's slimmer profile easier to conceal.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I have both and, today, have my PM9 in my pocket. The old model 36 is at home. The PM9 disappears in my pocket a bit better.

The PM9 requires some break in time, the j frame does not.

I rarely pocket carry but this works well.

Dave

For pocket carry, like any smaller autoloader, the Kahr will require more regular maintenance than the J-frame.

I am still using the J-frame, at least partially because I can put a LaserGrip on it, which you can't do with the polymer or shorty Kahrs.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

You can put a laser on a PM9, and I think it actually helps break up the profile of it when carried in a pocket. I decided to go with the Meprolights instead of a laser.

I have both and they both get the nod for pocket carry. If you were going to get one over the other, I would get the Kahr. Shooting a snubbie, and shooting it well takes some getting used to.

I don't have any pictures of my PM9 next to my J frame, but I do have some of my PM45 next to my snubbie. The PM9 is significantly smaller than the PM45, so you can imagine how much easier the PM9 may carry in a pocket.

Armalaser is the company that makes the lasers for the Kahrs. Here is the link:

Kahr by ArmaLaser Inc.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Probably not best for pocket carry, the MK9 has a LaserGrip available for it. I've been eyeballing a MK9 Elite that I may trade my PM9 for. I'm not interested in the LaserGrip but like the all steel and ability to add wood grips.

My EDC is a Kahr CW9 and I love it. My father replaced his 340pd for a Kahr PM9 as his EDC. I would give the nod to the Kahr.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Wheelie.......
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I have the PM9 and love it. My brother has a 642. Granted I shot my Kahr more but I find I can draw and shot the PM9 faster and more accurate. I like the 642 using 38special. The 357mag will open your eyes. It has a kick you are not going to forget. I will also say I am a fan of bottom feeders. I have over 500 rounds including 200 brake in rounds and the little Kahr has been 100% reliable. It is a good pocket gun and I am now carrying IWB more and more.

Favor the Kahr

I have both a Kahr MK9 and a S&W 642. They are shown together in the photo below.

Just by coincidence I was shooting both of them last weekend, at the same targets and distances. The Kahr is far easier to shoot well, and has only moderate recoil with 9mm practice ammo. The 642 has stout recoil with .38 special range ammo (because of its light weight), and is difficult to shoot accurately at any range because of a heavy trigger pull and minimal sights. When you pull the long, DA trigger on the 642 the gun will move slightly, even with two hands on it. To quantify this, I would say that at 25 feet I was getting 3 inch groups with the Kahr and 12 inch groups with the 642. The Kahr has a smooth 7 pound DAO trigger and excellent sights, plus a weight of 24 ounces empty.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

New Member Array Kentucky Kernel's Avatar
    I have a j frame and a Kimber Pro CDP. Even though the 1911 is a sweet gun, my carry is still the revolver. I use a Nemesis for pocket carry and a paddle for OWB.

VIP Member
    The Kahr is no doubt a nicer gun. That said, however, the revo is idiot proof. No jams, no stove pipes, no FTEs, and if you get a bad primer, no problem just pull the trigger again. In fact I've been shooting for twenty years and I've never seen a revolver fail. I carry a revo as my EDC not because they are cool or awesome but because they go bang every time.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sixball View Post
    I like the 642 using 38special. The 357mag will open your eyes. It has a kick you are not going to forget.
    I'm sure it would out a 642.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had to add my .02 to this I own a Kahr K9 and a S&W Model 60-14 357. I switch between both depending on my dress of the day. Both are great carry guns and I have enough holsters to conceal them alot of ways.I will say that both are not for a a rookie who shoots only a few times a year.I have never had any malfuntions from mine with the exception for intentional shooter induced(limp wristing). The Model 60 goes bang when the trigger is pulled and is somewhat easier for my to conceal. If you can test fire them before you buy get the one that you feel more comfortable with and shoot better. Then buy a lot of practice ammo and hit the range. Shot placement is what counts before caliber in my book. I have seen guys get guns that don't fit them and end up carrying and not shooting them at all. I own both and either are used as my primary carry guns and I feel fine with either. I practice twice a month and shoot min of 100 rounds from both. Hope I didn't mess you up too bad with my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links