Is the verdict in on the Ruger LCP? (EDITED) - Page 2

Is the verdict in on the Ruger LCP? (EDITED)

This is a discussion on Is the verdict in on the Ruger LCP? (EDITED) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm still on the fence about one. I think my J frame still trumps it for now....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the verdict in on the Ruger LCP? (EDITED)

I'm still on the fence about one. I think my J frame still trumps it for now.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I love mine.....and a 380 is better than nothing when things get tight. I can hide this thing anyplace. Even in my Speedos
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I also love mine. It goes everywhere with me too. One of the best investments I have made. You can barely tell it is in your pocket..

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    .380 can work if you do your work. There are a lot of variables in an individuals choice of what and how to carry. I like my New Agent .45 but there are times when I have to either pocket carry or use my smart carry and based on my frame/build, etc. that means my LCP as my J frame prints and is too bulky to be comfortable.

Life is choices, or I should say the result of all our choices. I can change jobs or dress if I want to. We all blend different priorities and choices and "fit" things into our lives like a pocket carried .380. Doesn't mean we're crazy or ignorant; I believe we know the .380 isn't the powerhouse round, but for certain times and circumstances, it's a great choice!! I'd have a big gap in my CCW if it wasn't for my P3AT and LCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    .380 can work if you do your work. There are a lot of variables in an individuals choice of what and how to carry. I like my New Agent .45 but there are times when I have to either pocket carry or use my smart carry and based on my frame/build, etc. that means my LCP as my J frame prints and is too bulky to be comfortable.

Life is choices, or I should say the result of all our choices. I can change jobs or dress if I want to. We all blend different priorities and choices and "fit" things into our lives like a pocket carried .380. Doesn't mean we're crazy or ignorant; I believe we know the .380 isn't the powerhouse round, but for certain times and circumstances, it's a great choice!! I'd have a big gap in my CCW if it wasn't for my P3AT and LCP.

I agree.. If it were not for my LCP, I would not be carrying 8 hours of the day. I can not just strap a Glock 19 or a 1911 on my waist. They are to big and bulky. Same thing with a revolver, to bulky. It is better to have a 380 in my pocket then no gun at all.

I had an early production LCP. In my first (and last) range session it wouldn't feed the next to last round on every reload. Then it wouldn't go into battery. Needless to say I was disappointed. It looked good as to fit and finish and I liked it's small size. The trigger pull was too long and hard for such a little gun. I knew I couldn't get a spare mag for a long time as they just are not available yet. I sold mine. Sorry, but I still think a gun should work out of the box and a self defense pistol needs to be 100% reliable. My snubby meets these requirements, in a better caliber. I've given up on small pocket auto's. Anyways.... I can carry my Glock 27 anywhere I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Falsemap View Post
    ..............Sorry, but I still think a gun should work out of the box and a self defense pistol needs to be 100% reliable. My snubby meets these requirements, in a better caliber. .............
    I've been buying/shooting handguns for over 30 years. I currently own 28 handguns (19 semi-autos, 8 revolvers, 1 derringer) and have sold/traded a couple dozen others. Of all the handguns I've ever owned, the only ones that ever broke leaving them useless until repaired were both $1000.00+ revolvers (hand spring broke on one, bolt spring on the other). Of tens of thousands of rounds sent downrange over the years, I've never had a semi break to the point of being useless. Have I had FTF or FTE problems? Yes. But I've also had primers back out on a revolver and lock it up. Can a semi-auto pistol fail? Yes, but so can a revolver and to expect 100% reliability from any mechanical device defies logic. Manufacturers know this and they provide a method to remedy the problem -- It's called a warranty. But to denounce any item, gun/automobile/television/etc. for a single failure without allowing the manufacturer the opportunity to correct the problem is not a fair response.

It's too bad you had a problem with your LCP but I'm confident of two things. 1. Had you given Ruger the chance, they would have made the gun work. 2. You'll find that the number of satisfied LCP owners vastly outnumbers the dissatisfied ones.

The 380 acp would never be my primary choice for an EDC but in the correct platform, it provides the ability to carry a firearm when no other size/cartridge may be a viable option.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I've been buying/shooting handguns for over 30 years. I currently own 28 handguns (19 semi-autos, 8 revolvers, 1 derringer) and have sold/traded a couple dozen others. Of all the handguns I've ever owned, the only ones that ever broke leaving them useless until repaired were both $1000.00+ revolvers (hand spring broke on one, bolt spring on the other). Of tens of thousands of rounds sent downrange over the years, I've never had a semi break to the point of being useless. Have I had FTF or FTE problems? Yes. But I've also had primers back out on a revolver and lock it up. Can a semi-auto pistol fail? Yes, but so can a revolver and to expect 100% reliability from any mechanical device defies logic. Manufacturers know this and they provide a method to remedy the problem -- It's called a warranty. But to denounce any item, gun/automobile/television/etc. for a single failure without allowing the manufacturer the opportunity to correct the problem is not a fair response.

It's too bad you had a problem with your LCP but I'm confident of two things. 1. Had you given Ruger the chance, they would have made the gun work. 2. You'll find that the number of satisfied LCP owners vastly outnumbers the dissatisfied ones.

The 380 acp would never be my primary choice for an EDC but in the correct platform, it provides the ability to carry a firearm when no other size/cartridge may be a viable option.

Hoss

Great Post! I do believe I see an LCP in my future! It will definitely be for a very specific use!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

ive had myn a month or so 100 rounds thru it no issues i was on a waitiling list at academey sports and outdoors in texas for 2 weeks i was the only one on list at this store. other stores had waiting list of 50 to 60 people but for some reason not this store so i had myn in a 2 week period for 299.00
    TOMMY

1943 - 2009
    13 off topic or otherwise unnecessary posts that were doing their best to turn this thread into a caliber war have been deleted.

The discussion concerns issues with the Ruger LCP pistol, not its caliber. Keep it on topic.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I've had mine for several months. As near as i can tell it was 4th one in nearby city. After several hundred rounds over several months it began to FTF one day while shooting. The gun was clean and i determined that the recoil springs (2 - one inside the other) had weakened and shortened. I pulled on and stretched them slightly, reassembled and the gun ran perfectly again. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by slickab View Post
    ...i determined that the recoil springs (2 - one inside the other) had weakened and shortened. I pulled on and stretched them slightly, reassembled and the gun ran perfectly again.
    That's very good to know. I haven't had any problems with mine yet, but that's something to keep in mind. Has anyone else had LCP spring problems?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I don't even have an LCP yet... but according to Wolff's website, they are not offering any springs for the LCP yet.

Since I haven't gotten my LCP yet, I did not email them asking when they will be offering springs for that pistol.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Member Array pleasantguywhopacks's Avatar
    I just did my first cleaning of my new LCP. A couple of passes with brush dipped in Shooters Choice and ten minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner. I'm really liking this gun.
    It's suprisingly accurate @10 to 15 yrds.
    When seconds count, police are only minutes away!
    OFCC Patron
    Buckeye Firearms Assoc. supporter
    Life Member NRA

The availability of after market upgrades for failing stock parts could help sway my decision to purchase one.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links