Why can't "they" make a 9mm the size of the Ruger LCP?

This is a discussion on Why can't "they" make a 9mm the size of the Ruger LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local store in my area has these and after double checking the specs, it's near identical in size. SCCY CPX-1...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't "they" make a 9mm the size of the Ruger LCP?

A local store in my area has these and after double checking the specs, it's near identical in size.

SCCY CPX-1

2. Remove Ads

The design and metallurgy problems would be nightmares, Since the 9mm is longer and loaded to much higher pressure than the .380. Since grip size would be very tiny, it could be very unpleasant to shoot.

Ammunition is another problem. Even at the 9mm's higher pressures, just how much greater performance could you get than is already available from hot modern .380 ammo? Not much, I suspect.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

No +P in the Rohrbaugh. PF-9 is the closest you'll come if you want to shoot that, plus it's lighter than the Rohr.

the PF9's are getting some pretty good comments on the keltec owners group website.
    I have a P32 and P11 and both have done well.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Imho its neither pressure , nor timing which can both be fixed ( albeit expensively ) . It is rather the fact that the formfactor ( size of frame ect ) of the p3at or lcp wont allow a longer round and still reliably feed . It could i suppose be done , but at a cost of case head support that would be both dangerous and prohibitive given 9mm pressures . I think that the Rorabaugh ( sp ) is the pinicle of small for the 9mm and at a high expense . If your " frugal " like me then the Kahr pm9 is about as small as you can go nowadays . Neither is cheap , but the kahr is more affordable and my " niche " doesnt value the smaller size of the Rorabaugh ( again sp?) enough to pay the tarrif in both original purchase or the attendant spring replacement costs as normal service .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I pocket carry the kahr PM9 it works great.

Colt Pocket 9

I agree with JD. The Colt Pocket 9 is a fine carry weapon if you can find one. I carry one most days and am very happpy with it. It's 17 ounces and about the same size as a Kel-tec PF9. However, some shooters don't care for the heavy trigger pull.
    Anyone else carry this little rocket?

I owned one and sold it. Could not get used to the hard, long pull of the DAO trigger. It is a well built gun. It was the gun that Kahr sued Colt over for stealing their design and thus Colt no longer makes them.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Your question seems to have been answered so I'll simply comment that the PM9 is a viable pocket carry piece that shoots +p if desired. I carry one as a BUG daily.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    What about those new Walter PPS Guns. Those are pretty thin.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I actually just put one of those SCCY cpx-1's on hold. It is a really well put together weapon. The other cool thing is that it has an unlimited lifetime warranty. It is also small enough to drop in your back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    But I would like to see a 9mm semi-auto the size of the Ruger LCP as a BUG.

Now you have seen it! The Rohrbaugh is awsome!

I routinely carry a Kahr PM9 in a Nemesis pocket holster. I carry a spare mag in the other pocket with a K&D pocket mag carrier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links