STI LS9 and LS40 Impressions?

This is a discussion on STI LS9 and LS40 Impressions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been having a hard time tracking down reviews of these guns...the STI LS9 and LS40. Anyone have any experience with either one? Thanks ...

Thread: STI LS9 and LS40 Impressions?

Question STI LS9 and LS40 Impressions?

I have been having a hard time tracking down reviews of these guns...the STI LS9 and LS40.

Anyone have any experience with either one?

Thanks

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

2. Remove Ads

I was looking into get one and heard good reviews but the main drawback for me was not having the last round slide lock feature...

Adam

I hear you on the last round slide lock feature. I can't say it is a deal breaker for me, as I understand that you can replace the slidestop and refit it to renable the function.

Anyone who has experience with that as well would be greatly appreciated.

matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

I used a slide stop from a Colt .38Super and the slide locked back on the LS9.

ranburr

If you are interested in STI's LS9/LS40, check out their Rogue (STI International - Rogue). I am pretty sure the slide locks back on the Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by ranburr View Post
    I used a slide stop from a Colt .38Super and the slide locked back on the LS9.

ranburr
    Do you still have the LS9? How did you like it?

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Quote Originally Posted by matt8185 View Post
    Do you still have the LS9? How did you like it?

Matt

Interesting story. The gun actually belonged to a customer who was having a lot of problems early on. We did a fluff & buff job on it and it became extremely reliable. We were not aware that the slide was not supposed to lock back and that is why I used the .38Super slide stop. After I had the gun up, running and locking back, the customer loved it. Then he made the mistake of leaving it in his car during a flood. The finish was gone, but the gun was fine. He asked us to send it back to STI. About a week after the fact, I received a call from STI stating that they had destroyed the gun and that we had a $1,000.00 credit with them. No one could explain why they had destroyed a pistol that had been sent to them to be refinished. The customer was furious and asked for another LS9. We were told that that model would not be available until further notice. My customer was not happy. I wound up just giving him $1,000.00 and I had STI send me a Trojan. It was one of the worst guns that I ever owned. STI isn't all that far from our shop and I called a few people who had friends at the factory. I was told that they were having a silent recall on the LS series of pistols. For what I don't know. At any rate, if they came back for any reason, they weren't going back to the owners. That was two yrs ago. I have never seen another LS9 or 40. I don't know if they hold up or not. The one that I worked over didn't have any major issues.

ranburr

The story posted by ranburr is not true. The actual account is the following:

I was the owner of said LS9 pistol. My friends and I were working to remedy the problem of the pistol not locking back on the last round and with feeding issues of the pistol. After spending several hours, we replaced the followers (since all LS9 mags were actually for .40 cal) with proper .38 super/9mm followers and changed out the slide stop (from a .38 super we had laying around) at the same time so the weapon would lock open after the last round. Anybody with one of these pistols should do the same conversion if they are experiencing the same problems (ie. feed problems, failure to lock open). I also purchase Colt 9mm magazines that actually worked.

My car got caught in the flood. I left my LS9 in my armrest and it rusted severely on one side. I DROVE my gun up to STI and left the pistol with Dave. During the course of the repairs the pistol was damaged by STI to the point that they felt it was not safe to release to me. They did offer to replace it with the model of my choice.

So ranburr, please don't take credit for others people's work. Since, you claimed you sent the pistol, could you please reimburse me the gas money for the 300 mile round trip to Georgetown, TX.

Links