Bare naked metal bobtail pics. Viewer Discretion is Advised!

This is a discussion on Bare naked metal bobtail pics. Viewer Discretion is Advised! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just thought some of you might be interested at seeing the inbetween non glamour shots of the metal work involve with a bobtail. This ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just thought some of you might be interested at seeing the inbetween non glamour shots of the metal work involve with a bobtail. This Scandium commander got the stippled front strap and stippling on the smooth MSH bob. It also has a hard chrome slide and will be finished in Combat Black Duracoat. What you also see is the STI glass filled trigger that I am using on this build. It is one of the lightest high quality triggers going and really allows you to feel the trigger break and the sear. Anyway here they are. Be warned that these pics are bare naked and viewer discretion is advised.

Jess

"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Administrator
    Great pics Jess and a good example as to why that "BobTail Job" on the pistol frame is a job that should be left to the pros such as yourself.

A blunder on a serial numbered pistol FRAME is a serious thing because you can't just run out and buy a new frame...the same way you could run out and buy a new slide.

Obviously a Very Nice perfect job that you did even when viewed without the finish.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sweeeet!

Please post pics of finished job when complete if you remember!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks! This pistol is getting the full treatment. All of the good stuff inside and hard chrome slide. Match bushing, stippling front and back and all. I am anxious to see it in the full dress combat black but if you make mistakes they really show up in the bare metal. The real reason that I posted these pics is to show how much time and work can go into doing a bobtail what I consider to be the right way. The angle cut between the new MSH hole and the old hole leaves NO extra metal for an error of margin. Leave too much on there and the blend is not flush and correct. Take too much off and the new pin hole is weakend beyond the point of being usable. If you were to see a frame with the new pin hole and the old one with the line scribed for the MSH bobtail then you would see what I mean. You have to cut exactly to the bottom of the old hole and exactly to the top of the new hole leaving just enough metal for blending and strength. THAT is the reason that I do them all by hand with a file and sandpaper and just a little bit at a time. The thought of jigging one of these up and having it done on a CNC scares me. One little computer glitch or error in setup and the frame is toast. At least if Ed Brown messes one up he can just toss the frame and start over! Also the S&W Scandium frames have a very light serial number engraving and it is very very easy to wipe out the number if you get too aggresive with the final media blast.

Anyway there is the scoop. If anyone wants to try bobtailing their own gun it can be done but just be VERY careful about the metal you take off and use the MSH as the guide as to how much to take off. Almost every gun I do I have to put the MSH in the gun and re-profile and blend the bobtail housing as well as the frame. None of the MSHs have the right profile to match and blend real well about 50% of the time. That is why most of the commercial bobs leave a bit of the bob sticking up from the edge of the frame so they don't have to blend both together if that make sense.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com

And I like keeping the crisp lines on the bob portion of the frame so that they mimic the 45 angle of the upper part of the frame. I know that Ed Brown "melts" this area and it does look good, but it does not carry the traditional lines down into the bob area. Just my preference. And I am able to do this without the corners being sharp or pointy. Very subtle rounding of the corners.

Jess

Nice job... be patiently awaiting the final pics.
    ---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

Great talent to have...wish I could do that...post pic's of the end product.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

BAC
    Am I the only person who dislikes stippling? Or anything but a little skateboard tape on the front strap?

-B

Waiting on the 'finished' pics.
    Last edited by pistolwretch; July 11th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Am I the only person who dislikes stippling? Or anything but a little skateboard tape on the front strap?

-B
    That's what's on my 1911... stippling, or some other kind of pattern may be great, but my pistol didn't come with it and skateboard tape is darn cheap.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    -B
    I have had pistols with skate tape on them. I also advise customers that are considering stippling to put skate tape on to try it out. There are some customers that love stippling and others that love checkering. Some people like no texture. Stippling has been around for a very long time. You should see some of the "stippling" that was done on some of the early pin guns. Looked like somebody had worked it over with a 16 penny nail. That is why there are custom gun owners and some that are not. If you can get a gun off of the shelf that works for you, great. But it is not a one size fits all market. And I am glad because that keeps me in work.
    I have posted pics of guns "in process" and they usually draw mixed opinions. There are some people that can understand the work that goes into one of these guns and others that don't. It would be like looking at a car that is getting custom paint when still in primer and body work and then saying it is ugly. Of course it is. It is not finished! I have also posted pics of other guns that were finished and customized to the customers specs and other people have had less than positive opinions and others that love them. That is the point. You can get anything and everything you want on a custom. Some things work for the customer and they don't work for others. That is why they are called "custom". And as far as stippling checkering or skate tape, that is your call. But I guarantee that if someone looks at a pistol that has a nice custom work over, no matter if you agree with the features, or looks at a gun with skate tape on it, you can imagine what the opinions will be. One is permanent and the other isn't. It is all a matter of individual taste and it is really not fair to judge one as "ugly" or the other not. It is kind of like calling someone's wife ugly. It is a very personal matter of taste. Again, that is why they are called custom. Some people like low riders and choppers and other people like sports cars and sport bikes. Same thing. I personally like a nice stippling finish as much as checkering. And as far as the gun looking like a train wreck, that only shows how little that person may know about pistolsmithing and what the work involved takes.
    I appreciate all of the opinions and that is why I post the pics.

Jess

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Just to clarify - I think the pistol looks great. I understand that pistols can and should be customized. Heck, I wouldn't mind having most of that work done to my 1911... but I'll settle for skate tape and maybe a bobtail sometime in the future.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

As I said, it works great and I have used it. But I consider it to be a temporary solution and not a permanent feature. And there are some guns that the front strap metal is just too thin to do anything else to. Like the Hi Power. That is a very common custom feature on the HP. Like what was done to the pistol in my avatar. Some people have checkered or "snakeskinned" the front straps on those guns but I won't ever. Too thin. And I have also had very good results with stippling on plastic guns. If you look around the internet and look at some of the "stippling" that is done by some and the stippling that I do on them, you may find a stark difference. Some of them look like they have just had a bunch of holes poked in them with a soldering iron. I also use a heated tool to stipple plastic but, just like on metal, I also go back over the stippling with a variety of punches to give it a very different, and better looking IMHO, texture than just round holes. But again, it is all a matter of personal taste.

Jess

Administrator
    I like the look of stippling when it's done right.
    I have seen a few terrible "home" stippling jobs that were awful looking.
    Jess makes it look real fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

AEA

Here's my BOB when it was in progress........

In progress pics.......
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links