I love my Glock

I love my Glock

This is a discussion on I love my Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the interest of fairness, not offending anyone and giving equal time to the opposing viewpoint, I want to start a "I Love My Glock" ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love my Glock

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I love my Glock

In the interest of fairness, not offending anyone and giving equal time to the opposing viewpoint, I want to start a "I Love My Glock" thread.

Um hmmm. I will start.

Hello. My name is Steve. I have been shooting Glocks for 2 years now.

I love my Glock. They are simple to shoot, easy to maintain, incredibly reliable, very accurate, I can pretty much be my own armorer, spare parts are readily available, ugly like me, etc, etc, etc.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    They might be ugly, they might not "feel right" for the touchy feely crowd, but that doesn't matter when it gets the job done day in and out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They might be ugly, they might not "feel right" for the touchy feely crowd, but that doesn't matter when it gets the job done day in and out.
    In my opinion that should be anyone's first priority in a pistol.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

I've been carrying a Glock 27 for just over 10 years now. I love it because as a Glock Armorer I know it inside out and have tuned it to be a flawless performer. It's got the old style finish on it that makes it look salty, GAP floorplates make it more controllable and XS Tritium Big Dots top it off.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    semper fi 45:

Nice pic!
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Well for the past damn cant remember for sure anyway few months we have been carrying our KAHR'S as edc's, a PM45 & my wife's PM9 & we love em because they are just like our Glock's only smaller & slimmer & more shiny But seriously bottom line Glocks go Boom every time & they are easy to fiddle with & you always have 10 variations of the same aftermarket cool parts. Ill never get rid of my G19 you just gotta love em
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

I never wanted to like glocks, in fact I wanted to despise them as the pedestrian handguns that they are. Only gang bangers in hoodies and less than adequate DEA agents carried glocks.

It always seemed like carrying a glock was like putting a scarlet letter on your chest. It was showing that you did not have the "chops" to carry a 1911 or a DA/SA with or without a safety type gun. Those took more training, and thus more manhood was proven by training and carrying those non-glocks. If I carried those, I could forego the scarlet letter of the glock and go right to the shiny, supermanhood badge of a firearm that was meant for more manly men.

Then one day I assisted on range/instructor duties for a friend (and holster maker). He comped me a holster. Well, I had the problem of having a holster without having the gun for it. So, I looked at the XD and Glocks and shot both. I chose a glock. So I bought the glock just because I could get a free holster for it.

Best decision I have ever made. No "snicking" on or off a safety. (Aside: What the heck is soooo cool about snicking???) No fumbling with a manual safety. No forgetting to de-cock a DA/SA hangun and put it in the holster in SA. No yanking the first DA shot. No DA to SA transition. Same trigger pull (it may not be the uber sweet single action of a finely tuned 1911, but that point will be lost in an extremely quick and violent encounter when the sights might not be remembered, let alone the uber sweet trigger pull) . Short trigger reset means ability to get more rounds on target in a given time. Parts and magazines are abundant. Carry rigs are abundant. Any neolithic or beyond human can fix and/or repair them. It was designed as a high-capacity replacement for people who were trained on revolvers. It was designed to quickly and easily train the masses. It was designed to run ably in dirty and non-maintenance environments.

On the detractors points, it doesn't point well. We all train muscle memory and for me, that is a moot point. I will give credence to the fact that using both glocks and non-glocks can confuse someone's "natural point of aim" or what I would like to correctly call it the muscle memory for pointing a firearm. So, chose glock or not chose glock if that is an issue. Also, the Ka-boom issue with the 40 and unsupported chamber. Well, I have moved away from 40 and only own 9mm and 10mm. Maybe a non-needed mitigating move, but I have done it to have one less thing to think about.

Yes, it is a pedestrian gun that is easy to use, shoot and maintain with a minimum of time investment. Yes, I do proudly wear the scarlet letter and embrace the simplicity of the Glock.

(1) I love my families lives and my life
    (2) Glock handguns are the ones I can most effectively and efficiently use (with the least amount of time traning) to save my family and myself.
    (3) I love my glock because it is the best tool for me to protect the ones I truly love.

I am not a fanboy. Whatever works for you, great. But the Glock works for me and that is what I am sticking with.

My first 9mm was a Glock 19. That was all it took to fall in love. Then came the Glock family: 26,17,23,27,36,30. Sadly some have left for financial reasons but most remain.

I've been carrying my 19 the past couple of days instead of my 27. I like to bring her out of the safe every now and again.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

*stares all dreamy eyed.....*

only 614 days till i can walk in, point to that beautiful G17, and say "I'LL TAKE IT"
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

B52
    I too love my G30 and G26 very much!

<--------(refer to screen name)

I love my Glocks. My G33 is my baby, and she goes everywhere with me.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I started off carrying an XD45 last year, and ended up ditching it due to a multitude of problems with it; it jammed quite a bit during the first 600 or so rounds and wouldn't feed 230 grain HPs, the stainless slide developed rust in the cocking serrations, and the mag release button stuck in really cold weather. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually having a hard time quickly reacquiring a sight picture after each shot, due to the high bore axis and heavy slide exaggerating the muzzle flip so much. I actually had a few nightmares where I needed my gun, but it only clicked when I pulled the trigger.

Then, I bought a brand new G17, which turned out to be everything that my XD wasn't: DEAD reliable, soft shooting, accurate, lightweight, corrosion resistant, easy to carry, easy to repair myself, and on and on.

I made the decision to replace the XD with a G21, in hopes that it would work out as well as my G17 had. I picked up a nice used 3rd gen model at a gun show, and was delighted to find that I could produce the same tight groups with it as I could with my G17. During a recent IDPA match, I had to take 12 shots at a target that was 40 yards downrange (I know it wasn't a legal IDPA stage, but my club wanted to try it) from a prone position. With my G21, I was able to put all twelve rounds on paper, although one of them winged a no-shoot target.

They're ugly as sin, but they're about as reliable as a gun gets, as well as very corrosion resistant and lightweight. The grip takes some getting used to, but I learned a grip technique during my holster training class that really helps with accuracy. And after training and shooting some IDPA with my G21, the trigger (with a few tweaks) and chunky grip have really grown on me....it has become a "warm handshake of a gun" to me. Matter of fact, I've been practicing draws and dry-firing with my G17 this week, as I'm planning on using it for an upcoming match, and I'm finding that I'm having a hard time getting used to it.

I'm planning on picking up a G26 next, for a deep concealment/BUG. I would like to own other types of guns, like a Beretta 92FS and a 1911 of some sort, but I probably won't carry them, due to the different manual of arms.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

nice collection there ramrod.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I love my G19 and G26 because they've never let me down. There are tons of accessories and parts readily available, and holsters everywhere for these things. Simplicity and reliability are paramount to me when choosing a carry gun.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links