I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday - Page 2

I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday

This is a discussion on I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SA has good CS.. fast turn around times as well. I'm glad to hear your weapon is fixed, and hope the HPs work as well ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SA has good CS.. fast turn around times as well. I'm glad to hear your weapon is fixed, and hope the HPs work as well for you......
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

SA has good CS.. fast turn around times as well. I'm glad to hear your weapon is fixed, and hope the HPs work as well for you......
    Thanks, so far I shot 2 types of H.P.s, equaling 100rds, and 200 rds WWB ball, with no problem.

I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.”
    Hmmm. maybe Clint should go with Springfield? (J/K)

Your right... ball isn't useless. HP's will only expand 60-70% of the time, HP cavities can fill up with fabric, which renders it ball anyhow, Temporary cavitation isn't a big deal with handgun velocities, Permanent cavitation, and penetration is far more important. Speaking of penetration, people endorse HP cause of possible over penetration. Myself and many other inquiring minds have never heard of an incident where this has happened. Dang, I even hear that Fed's will alternate HP and ball every other shot in their mag. I just want to use H.P. My third mag probably be all ball.
    Last edited by gregarat; November 28th, 2005 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    Thanks, so far I shot 2 types of H.P.s, equaling 100rds, and 200 rds WWB ball, with no problem.
    Ok fellow Forumites.... ....so there ya have it.....a little tweeking, and those 3 inch guns shoot like Gangbusters......
    Gotta love it for sure!

Whoh!!!! Stop the press!!!

Mine is a 5" 1911A1. When Sololucky, gets his back we will have a better idea. I hope your gun works fine, when it comes back. Cause if it does Im geting a 3" mod next .

Whoh!!!! Stop the press!!!

Mine is a 5" 1911A1. When Sololucky, gets his back we will have a better idea. I hope your gun works fine, when it comes back. Cause if it does Im geting a 3" mod next .
    OOPS!!! sawwwwwwry......I thought you had a 3 incher as well.........but now that I read back from the beginning......I see it's a 5 incher..... Either way.........I'm sure you're lookin good so far with it

NP, there was 2 Springers bought around the same time, and had issues around the same time, on this Forum. It can get confusing.

I don't recall, is your's the Loaded, Milspec, GI? Having another CRS day it seems.
    Jack

G.I.

That's encouraging. I'm pretty much a Colt fan, though I've had two SAs in the past. I'd pretty much decided that my next 1911 would be another Colt '91 but I'm starting to think maybe an SA Milspec would be another option (the GIs front sight is difficult for me to see). I use to prefer the fully modified guns but it seems I go for the basic, no frills models more and more these days. Sort of "simplistic beauty" I guess.
    Jack

I'll surely post when it returns AND the results of there efforts.

100% is what i deem acceptable.
    HP's is a must, but i agree with all the shortcomings of HP's out of handguns.
    maybe i don't hafta shoot'em...but the gun should have no problem with them IMHO. it should leave that choice up to me.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

maybe i don't hafta shoot'em...but the gun should have no problem with them IMHO. it should leave that choice up to me.
    My thoughts exactly.

My 1911 had ftf problems, plus a cruddy mag. The ftf problem was that the cartridge did not seat all the way into the battery. I could slightly press the rear of the slide, and the cartridge would feed. This happened around 1/4 mags, and always with the last round. The problem with my mag was that the mag follower would move forward into the frame, when empty. Springfield changed my extractor, slide stop, put in a 16lb recoil spring (There was a 14lb spring in the handgun when I bought it), and reamed the barrel.
    I now get no ftf problems, but the mag is still broken. Which is no big deal, Wilson 47D mags work flawlessly.
    gregarat - I have never tried a Wilson but have heard they are superb. Just a suggestion, but if you ever have a chance, try the Cobra mags from Tripp. They function perfectly in every 1911 I own, from the full-sized Government Model Kimbers I own to the little Detonics-USA Combat Master. The reason I mention them is that you mentioned that the other mags you were using before the Wilsons seemed to be allowing the followers to move forward.

The follower in the Cobras is pretty unique - it is very solid with a metal block below with the follower dovetailed into it. Even in the unloaded mag, the block stays inside the mag body, so I see no way on earth that the follower could even think about moving forward.

I got the urge to try them when I read an article on them in NRA Rifleman (or Hunter? Rifleman, I think). Now, I know that gun-rag reviews are often sugar coated, but this one was interesting in that, if memory serves me, they used in the test a Phillipine 1911 that jammed on everything - everything - except ball. With the Cobras, they tried all sorts of fodder with nary a hiccup, and also that they went so far as to actually say (I think this is an accurate quotation, but can't that Tripp had redesigned or I think they said "re-invented" the 1911 magazine. That was pretty strong stuff, I thought, so I tried 'em. I could not be more pleased.

You might do a search on Yahoo or Google for "Tripp Cobra magazines 1911", and you'll find a bunch of reviews.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Thanks Jon,

The follower in the Cobras is pretty unique - it is very solid with a metal block below with the follower dovetailed into it. Even in the unloaded mag, the block stays inside the mag body, so I see no way on earth that the follower could even think about moving forward.
    Thats the reason I like Willson so much. Ill give the Cobras a try.

Also (other stuff is coming back through the fog), I seem to remember that the feed angle on the Cobras is reduced to provide more in-line feeding, and my memory suggests that they built the bottom internals somehow to reduce any ill effects of storing the magazines fully loaded. Can't remember the details of the latter.

Best,
    Jon

P.S. Oh yea! And I think they also offer conversion kits for folks who want to rebuild their existing 1911 mags.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Rocky,
    Let us know how the Champion shoots! I am especially interested in POI vs POA. Mine shot REALLY low. I have known of two others that had this same problem. I replaced mine with a Pro Carry.
    Good luck,
    str1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links