I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday

I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday

This is a discussion on I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I got my 1911 from my local gun dealer. I had him send it to Springfield, because I didn't know how long the warranty ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday

Smile I got my 1911 back from Springfield yesterday

Yesterday I got my 1911 from my local gun dealer. I had him send it to Springfield, because I didn't know how long the warranty work would take them. I didn't want U.P.S. to drop a 1911 on my doorstep, when Im in upstate N.Y.

Springfield Armory replaced the slide-stop, extractor, put a 16Lb recoil spring in it, and reamed the barrel.

Today I went to the range with 100rds of ammo. My 1911 ate them all without any problems! . I'm now hoping that it will eat HP ammo just as well.

I guess I can take the pic of John Browning off my dartboard now . I suppose SA does have a good warranty.

Again, thanks to everyone who has been helping me with my first 1911. I really appreciate it
    Last edited by QKShooter; November 16th, 2005 at 10:56 PM. Reason: correct minor typo error

Wow, that's pretty good turn around time too. Glad it's looking up for you now. Did they solve the problem with the mags not dropping freely?

Throw some more rounds downrange and let us know how it's holding up.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    So wha t was the original problem? problems? You had the micro 1911 right?

Good deal hope it feed Hp's for ya

Did they solve the problem with the mags not dropping freely?
    Duno... I used the Wilson mag only. It never that problem, just the factory one did. Also I didn't want to throw a lot of variables into one test. Ill try the factory one soon.

hope it feed Hp's for ya
    You and me both. A 1911 that only shoots ball is kinda useless. Im not sweating the HP issue a ton, I could just get her polished up, it doesn't seem like a lot can go wrong there. Im just glad this gun is more reliable, at least that's a starting point.

Assistant Administrator
    Fingers well crossed!!

Seems like good service and results - so far!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

So wha t was the original problem? problems? You had the micro 1911 right?
    I had ALOT of problems, and mine is the standard length mod..

Lead Moderator
    Hmm... Glad you have it running better. Still have to try my new Champion out. Been busy working , then deer season .

Administrator

Glad That You Got It Repaired

Now you are happy camper.
    It NICE when a firearm functions as it should!

It NICE when a firearm functions as it should!
    What a novel concept!!!
    Think it will catch on? Hmmm,...Nahhhh!!!!!

I wonder if it does have trouble with HP's, mabe Corbon Powerball would work?

Gregerat,

I have a micro that just went back friday to S.A.
    what was yers doing? mine had lots of FTE's which lead into FTFeeds.
    hope they can werk it out for me.

how long did it take S.A. to do the werk? days/ weeks?

just wanna get a lil heads up on what to expect from them. i have heard they have good cust. service though.

i would be tickled pink if they get it right.
    if not it'll go back again.
    JHP's are an important round for'em to feed IMHO, and mine hated'em.

if they can't git-r-done i'd hope/love for them to swap me for the 4" barrelled version. supposedly the more appropriate operable size. but ain't holding my breath on that one.
    Last edited by SOLOLUCKY; November 27th, 2005 at 05:28 PM. Reason: i knew what model he had
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    A 1911 that only shoots ball is kinda useless.
    Say you really don't mean that.

45ACP has a solid reputation of putting BG's down. Clint Smith even favors the 230gr ball round. Here it is in his own words.

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911
    ďThe 1911 remains popular because itís an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, Iíve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911ís than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals Ė policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on itÖMe? Iíve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. Itís a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, Iím not concerned about tight groups. I donít bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesnít have to expand to be effective.Ē From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I had to send my Mill-Spec back once, got it back in 17 days. They make you sign for it, the dilevery driver won't just drop it off.

17 days isn't too bad i guess.
    as long as it was good when it returned is the key.
    thanks for the response.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was out of town.

Springfield told me that the wait on my gun could be up to 4 weeks. I got mine back in 3 weeks. It might have been sooner, but I had my gun dealer return it. He didn't want to be bothered to take my phone number. To let me know when the gun came back. I did it that way because, I thought I might be out of town. I didn't want to have to worry about FedEx dropping my returned gun on my doorstep. I hear that Springfield could be as little as 2 weeks, for the turn around time.

The chances of Springfield returning your gun fixed is very good IMHO. When I was waiting for my gun to be returned I scanned a lot of Forums. Some people have to return it twice. Its rare when people have a nightmare dealing back and forth with the service Dept. Most have their gun back running 100%. I think even more people get their guns back running great, and let will let the tread drop without an update. Where the people who have bad luck will just spam about it, on every thread semi relating to their problem. Because "He who cries the loudest, cries the best".

Just hang in there. It will be worth the wait. Once you get it back, you will be kicking yourself for not sending it in earlier. I know I did. .

I forgot to add.
    My 1911 had ftf problems, plus a cruddy mag. The ftf problem was that the cartridge did not seat all the way into the battery. I could slightly press the rear of the slide, and the cartridge would feed. This happened around 1/4 mags, and always with the last round. The problem with my mag was that the mag follower would move forward into the frame, when empty. Springfield changed my extractor, slide stop, put in a 16lb recoil spring (There was a 14lb spring in the handgun when I bought it), and reamed the barrel.
    I now get no ftf problems, but the mag is still broken. Which is no big deal, Wilson 47D mags work flawlessly.
    Last edited by gregarat; November 28th, 2005 at 10:20 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links