9mm Revolver?

This is a discussion on 9mm Revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friends- Wifee is getting into the CCW mode. She knows she wants to have a revolver in J frame size. She doesn't really like the ...

Thread: 9mm Revolver?

9mm Revolver?

Friends- Wifee is getting into the CCW mode. She knows she wants to have a revolver in J frame size. She doesn't really like the recoil of an airweight model 38 cal. So I am looking to the regular weight model. I got to thinking that I know some relvolvers are made for 9mm. I dont' see it a problem as she will carry loading strips (providing someone makes one for 9mm?). How does a 9mm revolver reciol compared to a 38 spcl and compared to 38 + p?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    About the same.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I know of one person who had one. The recoil was pretty intense for some loads. Once, it was so bad the bullets unseated themselves from the casings.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

My 940 S&W kicks the same as the .38 spl +P 640. They are putting out similar bullet weights at similar velocities. Just physics. I doubt any casual shooter would tell any difference. The 940, and the Taurus version (917? can't remember) are all discontinued, and I think the SP101 might be also. All are available on Gunbroker and such. I don't know of any speed strips that would work, since the moon clips were the heart of the system. When I carry mine, 2 loaded moon clips fit in the same speedloader pouch as one M36 speedloader. I read recently that Taurus doesn't stock moon clips for theirs anymore, not sure if it's true. I have heard of people carrying a 1911 magazine and thumb loading rounds into the 625 .45 revolvers, perhaps that would work for the 9mm, at least for the second 5 shots. After that you're poking them out of the chamber with a stick. Another undesireable alternative is to find some 9mm Federal cartridges or brass. It's the "Auto Rim" of 9mm, but any loaded ammo is like 10 years old and there was only one type of JHP. It's also way collectable (expensive). You do get extra style points for owning something uncommon, though.

For the casual shooter the .38 is for sure the way to go. Cheap and easy to find. No need to hassle with moon clips, modify them for practice, etc. Plenty of good .38 (non +P) ammo out there for the recoil sensitive, too. I use mostly 110gr Hydra Shok, but there are others. Heard good things about Buffalo Bore LSWCHP, Silvertips are sometimes available in standard pressure, etc.

Just got one of these, perfect J frame in steel frame with plenty of style points.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...0223_large.jpg

Recoil is somewhat subjective, but it is my perception that recoil with the 9mm is greater than with 38 special and equal to 38 plus P. And that is with a steel gun.

I am not aware of any American manufacturer currently making 9mm revolvers. Taurus was making them, but has discontinued the line. Likewise, S&W, Ruger,and Charter have made 9mm revolvers but no longer do- which should tell us something. Some Taurus are probably still around, but they may be hard to find.

Except for a S&W K frame 9mm revolver ( model 547), 9mm revolvers use a half moon or ( more likily) full moon clip to allow the revolver to eject the empty cases after firing. These tend to be fragial and difficult to carry. They are the weak point of the weapon. You can fire a 9mm round in these guns without the clips, but then you have to use a pencil or something similar to indivdually poke the spend case out of the chamber. So, reloading is problematic.

Perhaps you should just look at a steel 38 special J frame.

Regards-conwic

OK...solved that issue. 38 it will be.
    Thanks.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyd View Post
    OK...solved that issue. 38 it will be.
    Thanks.
    Just a suggestion, a Ruger SP101 with 38spcl is a very tame yet effective choice. It also leaves the door open to an upgrade to 357 if that is in the future.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just a suggestion, a Ruger SP101 with 38spcl is a very tame yet effective choice. It also leaves the door open to an upgrade to 357 if that is in the future.

The same thing I was going to suggest. I guess it's true, GMTA.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    ditto about the sp101 w/.38's (non +p). I have one; added Pachmyr grips (makes a HUGE difference) and it's a pure pleasure to shoot any .38 in it! Even +p's are mild with the pachmyr grips and the weight of the SP101, however, the weight makes carrying that gun a bit more difficult than any true J frame. For Belt carry I think the 2" de-spurred SP101 with .2's is an outstanding low capacity weapon that is rock solid reliable. Speedloaders don't typically work to well with them but speed strips are adequate. Also you can purchase a reduced power trigger spring for about $8 off the internet and it makes the double action pull sweeter than my J frame by a mile and it's still reliable.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    MattyD,

My wife carries a Ruger SP-101 2.25" in .357 loaded with Federal HydraShok .38 +P's. The recoil doesn't bother her at all and she loves to go shooting with it. We went with the DAO model so that there is no hammer spur to snag when drawing, and requires 8 lbs or so to fire (it isn't likely to fire unless you mean to fire it).

We added the Hogue mono-grip and Trijicon night sights. I have put a few .357's through it, and it isn't a pleasant experience. Not something I would want to do regularly, but when I carry it as a BUG, I load it with .357's.

Sixto and BikerRN are on the money when recommending this weapon. Weighty and compact, it soaks up recoil much better than the Airweight she tried. She carries it in a K&D Cochise Defender and feels very comfortable knowing that she has it with her.

Here are a couple of photo's:

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    FYI - a Ruger SP101 weighs 26 ounces.

An all steel S&W J frame is about FOUR ounces less.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

SP101

Actually one in .38 is my wife's bedside gun. She has 110gr +P+ in it. Since the picture I have refinished the wood with a very nice high gloss finish. I used to use this as a CCW until she adopted it. I prefer the stock grips to the big Pachmayrs or Hogue for carry.

And my 940. I keep Gold Saber +P 124gr in it.

Great minds think alike! At least yours and hers. Her gun of choice is a SP101 spurless in 357. She can shoot the 38s and always have the option of 357 in a pinch.

Links