Opinions?

This is a discussion on Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Smith & Wesson Model 625 JM Revolver 160936, 45 ACP, 4", Jerry Miculek Wood Grip, Satin Stainless Finish, 6 Rd Stock # [SS15074] $806.54 SMITH ...

Thread: Opinions?

Opinions?

Smith & Wesson Model 625 JM Revolver 160936, 45 ACP, 4", Jerry Miculek Wood Grip, Satin Stainless Finish, 6 Rd
    Stock # [SS15074] $806.54
    SMITH & WESSON INC Model 625 JM Revolver

Smith & Wesson 6 Round Stainless 45 ACP w/4" Barrel/Adjustable Sights

Smith & Wesson and Jerry Miculek have collaborated to design a revolver to deliver ultra fast performance, the Model 625 Jerry Miculek series. Its special features include a Miculek style .265" wide grooved speed trigger, special wooden "Jerry Miculek" grip and gold bead partridge front sight on an interchangeable front sight base. The Jerry Miculek Professional Series revolver comes with its own unique serial number run starting at JMP0000 and includes 5 full moon clips for ultra fast reloading.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Mfg Item Num: 160936
    Category: FIREARMS - HANDGUNS
    Type :Revolver
    Action :Single / Double
    Caliber :45 ACP
    Barrel Length :4"
    Capacity :6 rd
    Safety :No Manual Safety
    Grips :Jerry Miculek Wood
    Sights :Gold Bead (Front); Adjustable (Rear)
    Weight :43.0 oz
    Finish :Satin Stainless
    Weight: 4.00

************************************************** **************************************

I have considered getting a revolver to add to my .45 ACP collection of firearms.
    I'm looking for opinions (pro's and con's) on the above listed revolver, or possibly the recommendation of another .45 ACP (not .45 Colt) revolver.

Any input would be appreciated.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its a nice gun, but overpriced IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its a nice gun, but overpriced IMO.
    Any suggestions?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have very little experience with the .45ACP as a revolver round of choice.
    I shot one once back in the '80's and I detested fumbling aroung with the moon clips needed to load it. I'm unaware if speedloaders are made for the half- or fullmoon clips but they wern't availiable to me back then so I didn't get one.....too slow to reload for defensive purposes.

I have seen more of the .45 ACP revolvers around lately though..........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Consider the source, but for that kind of money I'd rather purchase a World War I vintage M1917 Smith & Wesson and have the original .45 ACP revolver in my .45 ACP collection.

Actually the Model 625 JM has quite a lot going for it. I could do without the "JM" logo grips but the barrel length is very appropriate for most any purpose, the sights are neato, and the .45 ACP chambering is very useful, being both powerful and accurate. The lock is unfortunate. As a hide bound old geezer I refuse to accept the baggage of a lock so won't own a Smith & Wesson revolver so equipped.

For the hand loader who doesn't normally want to fool with the moon clips as I don't there's the handy .45 Auto Rim case. Adds much to the flexibility of the revolver, especially for range use. The moon clips can still be used for "social purposes".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Actually, if I were looking for a 45 ACP revolver, the one you mentioned is the one to have... but they are expensive by nature. S&W is pretty darn proud of their custom shop guns, and they are spendy for what they are.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Model 625 of 1989

I have been tempted to buy one of the older S&W N frame revolvers in .45 ACP, such as the model 625 of 1989. These are pre-lock guns, like the one shown in this Gunbroker closed auction that was priced just over $700:

Gunbroker auction on S&W 625

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Here's a Smith & Wesson M1917 .45 ACP revolver that celebrates its 90th birthday this year. Still lots of fun at the range and performs well with good hand loads. Shown with three .45 ACP in nickel plated cases and three .45 Auto Rim in brass cases.

OD*
    Black Hills Ammunition has an interesting new .45 Auto Rim offering.

And Smith has a dandy new M1917;

Model of 1917
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

B52
    I have a S&W model22 Thunder Ranch 45ACP revolver. Very fun too shoot and is really similar to the 1917 model. I looked at the pistol you want last week at my local gun shop. If I was rich nothing would have stopped me from walking out with it, the trigger was very nice. Please post pics if you buy one.

I used to own one back in the '90s when I was still shooting revos, and as a gun for bowling pins, it has few equals. because it uses moon clips for reloading, you can get very quick with reloads, approaching that of an autopistol with practice.

As far as the price is concerned, for the obvious custom work I am reading in your description, the price is about right. I had similar work done to mine to get it ready for pin shooting and i remember having around $1000.00 in that gun.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks for the replies.

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links