new to the forum, advice please

This is a discussion on new to the forum, advice please within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello from Athens, Georgia. I'm new to the forum, my name's John. I've been looking to buy a new pistol for carry and have narrowed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the forum, advice please

New Member Array woodduckwallace's Avatar

Hello from Athens, Georgia. I'm new to the forum, my name's John. I've been looking to buy a new pistol for carry and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I think it is between the kimber pro cdp, a sig 226 or a 229. Additionally, I looked at a 229 sas and didn't like the wooden grips and I'm not too sure about the DA only. What are you guys thoughts on these? What would be a decent price for these? Thanks for the help! John

You'll get a lot of vote for Sigs i dont use um im a lefty... not a kimber fan either but i love 1911's so my vote is for the kimber

Welcome Woodduck from Albany, GA! I'd take the Kimber, my primary is a Custom CDP II and it's sweet. Plus you'll make a certain simian-like member of this forum pleased also. Ain't that right Bruce?!

As far as price, check with Shooter's Gallery of Columbus GA, on Milgen Road. They are master distributors of Kimber, Para-Ordinance, Charles Daly, and they also carry STI. I purchased mine there.
    Pershing SIR!!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by woodduckwallace
    Hello from Athens, Georgia. I'm new to the forum, my name's John. I've been looking to buy a new pistol for carry and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I think it is between the kimber pro cdp, a sig 226 or a 229. Additionally, I looked at a 229 sas and didn't like the wooden grips and I'm not too sure about the DA only. What are you guys thoughts on these? What would be a decent price for these? Thanks for the help! John
    Welcome to the forum John!

As one of the SIG "weenies" I'm wondering if you are looking at 9mm or something else? Also have you looked at the regular 229? It has the "normal" grips, of course grips are easy to change. Have you looked at the 239?

I have a 226 and a 239, both in 9mm. One of these days I want to get a 229, but in 357 SIG.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Howdy, If you can go to a range that will rent some of your wish list and shoot them,see what feels good and how well you shoot them.
    Personaly i would get the Kimber but thats me. Let us know what you get and how well you shoot your choice.
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 GM
    WWII Springfield 1911A1 Champion

John, welcome to the forum. Thank you for jumping right in on your first post.
    Of the guns you mentioned, my preference would be for the Kimber, but that's because I like 1911's much more than Sigs. Does the Kimber you are looking at have an external extractor? They seem to be more problematic than JMB's design.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Ok, here is what ya want to do, forget the sigs (sorry Chris) and forget the Kimbers, and go out and buy your self a Colt. You will thank me later.
    Oh yeah when in a situation where you have to choose between a 1911 and a non-1911, well the answer is pretty odvious.
    1911's:rock:

So bruce when ya gonna start your own 1911 forum ill help ya mod it :)

Ohh yeah i vote 1911 opps wait i might have said that all ready

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome along John

My daily carry is SIG 226 in 9mm - it's an ST so heavy (and pricey!) but I like weight and size for comtrollability. OWB with suitable shirt or vest and it's not in evidence.

Soon may Have a 228 - trading my P12.45 for that - also should suit well for carry.

I favor DA/SA - so if you like some ''heft'' 226 will please you I am sure. Of course in .40 you'd have option to add .357 SIG barrel.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Soon may Have a 228 - trading my P12.45 for that -

Wait ya justgot paraworking now yourgonna trade it WTH is that about? :chairshot

Assistant Administrator
    Well - hard decision - very hard.

Now the P12 is running so good I am loathe to move it on but - member here has a quite new 228 which does not suit because he is lefty (you know about that) and as I have the 220 to fill the .45acp gap, (plus the ol' P97 and Systema) - seems better to expand the SIG stable.

Of course ideally - I want both!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well when ya put it like that go with the sig

Alright here goes my .02$,

The Sig's and 1911's (Kimber) are like night and day. I am a 1911 guy myself and have a Kimber never had a Sig but have shot them. I feel Sig's are very thick and bulky where the 1911's are slime and clean. I haven't had any problems with my Kimber that a Cobra or Wilson Magazine didn't fix a few FTF that's it, but I stay away from the external extractor models, it is just my preference. This is no doubt has been Kimbers biggest mistake in changing to the external. But that is not to say they are all bad cause there not, most problems stem from the smaller Kimber's such as the Ultra's and the quality get's much better with them the larger the size Kimber you go with.

If you are stuck on the main line production guns such as Kimber, Sig, or whatever! I would recommend the S&W1911SC to you instead of the Kimber or even Colt right now. Colt is good but is very spotty on quality issues of fitment. The Kimber's are spotty as well but not with fitment quality but rather in extractor issues and magazine issues but when worked out if needed are impressive guns, Kimber slide to frame fit is very good. The S&W1911SC seems to have it all working right out of the box. Very little problems reported with them at all, the only problem I see with them is the stupid billboard on the slide instead of roll marks, but that is the only issue I have with the Smith & Wesson 1911SC.

But to be honest I would rather guide you to the semi-custom's such as, Baer, Brown, Wilson, Rock River Arms or Nighthawk.

Les Baer - I would recommend the Stinger or the TRS Comanche.

Ed Brown - Kobra Carry or Executive Carry

Wilson - CQB or Professional

RRA - Elite Commando

Nighthawk - One of the Talons or the Predator II or III

This is defiantly dependant on your budget of course. But no MIM or plastic part's, no cheap mags, reliability problems are almost unheard of, match grade or Kart barells, tight slide to frame fitment, just very high quality that is hard to beat. I you can swing it I would go with one of the custom's mentioned other than that for me it would be the S&W1911SC. But ultimately it is up to you and what you want and feel comfortable with.

Ti.

I cant Recommend the Smith 1911SC i had one and it was a real Turd and tore its selfapart :chairshot in less than 700 rounds

Also dont forget the funky safety internal swartz or whatever that people have had problems with

Just adding my 3 cents from the friendly 1911 guy

Im more of a 1911 fan over Sig.

I would take Bruce's advice and get a Colt, or a Springfield, rather than a Kimber. I was looking to get a Pro carry II, but I did some research and I hear that Kimber's quality has gone down hill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links