Best Sub Compact 9mm

Best Sub Compact 9mm

This is a discussion on Best Sub Compact 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a small 9mm for carry purposes. I'm stuck between the Kahr K9 & MK9, the Springfield XDsc, and the Glock ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Best Sub Compact 9mm

I'm in the market for a small 9mm for carry purposes. I'm stuck between the Kahr K9 & MK9, the Springfield XDsc, and the Glock 26. Any input would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJerm80 View Post
    I'm in the market for a small 9mm for carry purposes. I'm stuck between the Kahr K9 & MK9, the Springfield XDsc, and the Glock 26. Any input would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance!!
    They're all great guns (I personally don't like Glocks, but they are great guns). You should find a range where you can test all four and go with the one that you feel most comfortable with.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the S&W M&P line.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I have a G33, with a 9mm barrel and mag setup; so it's essentially a G26. I really like it, and recoil is surprisingly low. I would go to a range that rents all three, and shoot them. That's the best way to find out what YOU like. Internet opinions are only worth so much.Good luck.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

I'm biased towards the Glock, but it really comes down to how comfortable it is to grip and how well you shoot it. Your gonna have to try them all.
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Really. Any one would be fine. The Glock would be the finest, of course.

You really need to find a range that rents them all and just give them all a once around the block. Find which one that fits your hands and easiest to shoot....for you.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I'm VERY happy with my G26. ANy of the guns you mentioned are good guns. It all boils down to WHAT fits and points best in your hand. Go rent, borrow or find a friend with the guns you think you'll like and give them a try, BEFORE you buy, if at all possible. At the very least, go handle them in the gun store, side by side, if possible, so you can compare fit and features. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I am a big fan of the S&W M&P line.
    Can't really beat em. I do love my M&P9c

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I'd lean towards a PM9 or MK9. If you're going carry IWB, get the MK9. If you plan on pocket carry, get the PM9.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    If you buy a Glock-27 (40 cal.) you can one day buy a Glock 26 barrel, yes, it drops in, and you will have double duty as a G-26. I have both, and love'm both. Carry the 27 and practice with the 26.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    My personal favorite and CCW is the HK P2000SK. It is a very competent pistol. The Walther P99c is another outstanding compact. The Kahr K9 is a nice compact carry, just be sure to get the elite trigger. I've had excellent results with all steel Kahrs, not so good with plastic Kahrs. A little different pistol but still a world class CCW is the HK P7...very compact and reliable. I'd feel comfortable with any of the above in my holster.

Although not a Glock fan either, I would spend my dollars on the XD or the Glock. I don't think you would be sorry.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Kahr MK9 for a very small 9mm

I like the Kahr MK9 for this role because it is very small and concealable compared to the Glock 26. It fits more easily IWB for me. I prefer the larger Glock 19 for a substantial 9mm belt gun, which gives you 15+1 rounds and a full grip area.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

M&P 9c

I had a Glock recommended to me by several people. I tried the 26 and it just did not feel comfortable for my hands. I really wanted to get one and become part of the Glock club. Stopped at a gun store and tried it again last Friday. I then asked to see the Walther version and it felt really comfortable, but I just didn't like the looks. Dumb reason to not buy a gun, I know. The gun store clerk then recommended a M&P 9c and it felt great in my hand. They were having a sale so I said what the heck, it's Friday. So I got it. Went right to the range and tried it out. A little wild at first but it settled in nicely after I firmed up my grip. Recoil is good. Picked up a new IWB Galco holster for a G26 and it fit perfectly. It now replaces my Bersa 380 as a carry gun but still doesn't shoot as nice as my P944. Bear in mind that this dissertation is written by a novice pistol user who has only been shooting for about 7 months.

Thanks for the input everybody! I think this is going to be a hard one. I had an M&P 40c but sold it for the M&P 360(kind of going through a revolver stage right now!!). I really like the Kahr but have heard mixed reviews on them and everybody loves their XD and Glocks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links