Does this gun exist? - Page 2

Does this gun exist?

This is a discussion on Does this gun exist? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Para does have LDA (light double action). many people carry them with the safety off. I wouldnt reccomend it myself, but many people do. I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this gun exist?

Para does have LDA (light double action). many people carry them with the safety off. I wouldnt reccomend it myself, but many people do.
    I am a 1911 person myself, so I will give my viewpoint.
    It really doesnt take long to learn to flip off that safety. and on a 1911, the safety is in the best location, where if you are holding a 1911 correctly, you cannot not flip off the safety, your grip requires you to do so, and it defiantly doesnt slow you down.
    but if your insistant on something without a manual safety, thats fine.
    there are plenty of guns that are DA/SA or DOA that are in 9mm with 4" barrel. getting one single stack may be a bit harder. here are a few suggestions (sorry, didnt read all of what was suggested already)
    HP CC: Heckler&Koch
    HP P7M8 (harder to get) Heckler&Koch
    HK USP: Heckler&Koch
    Kahr T or TP: Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / TP Series
    XD 9 service : Springfield Armory
    sig p226: Show Product Details
    sw9gve: Product: Model SW9GVE Pistol

im sure there are more but thats all i got for now
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

A question: Why is it so important that it be a single stack 9mm?

For instance, the Glock 19 is only about 3 tenths of an inch (.28") thicker than the Kahr and it meets all your other criteria.

Good luck.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

7" x 5.1" !?! That's a nasty restriction to abide by. Concealed is concealed what does it matter if it fits in a pocket...(deep breath). Can it be under one dimension and over ther other? Ex. could I have a gun 7.5" long and 4.5" tall? Or does it need to be => the said specs of "the box"? For instance the Kimber Compact: 7.7" long 4.5" tall(I know, I know, it's not 9mm or DAO just trying to get my brain around the size restriction law.)
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Para makes DAO 1911 style pistols.
    While I'm sure Para's LDA is a fine gun, and they kinda look like a 1911, I wouldn't call them a '1911 style' gun. It's not like sticking on a beavertail or an ambi safety... the LDA trigger system replaces the heart and sole of the weapon.

It'd be sorta like making a glock pattern gun out of blued steel and walnut... it might kinda look like a glock, and some components might be the same, but isn't ever going to be a glock.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    It really doesnt take long to learn to flip off that safety. and on a 1911, the safety is in the best location, where if you are holding a 1911 correctly, you cannot not flip off the safety, your grip requires you to do so, and it defiantly doesnt slow you down.
    It's not that, really. It's more a matter of me knowing how my body and brains work under stress: I go all gross motor skills. The last fight I got into I grabbed the guy's shoulders (managed to get his back) and semi-pulled/semi-tossed him on the floor and when he got up I smacked his lights out with a palm strike to the jaw (btw, it was justified even according to the police who checked out the scene; the dude wasn't hurt nor was I and we both walked home). And even then I didn't really think what I was doing, all of that stuff just sort of "came out" even though in training I normally use other techniques.

Now to finally put the above into context: I'm a novice in my gun club (IPSC) but there are some dudes there who've been shooting for 30+ years and one of them won the country's championship...again!
    Yet when we were at the range a couple of months back when the timer rang he forgot the safety on (shoots a 1911, has shot one pretty much all his life).

Happened to another guy who isn't quite as successful but still light years ahead of me. All the extra stress he had was that he had a friend watching his shooting.

So I figured that if those guys can forget the safety on or alternatively fumble with it so badly as to miss the first chance to fire (you generally won't get a second since most gunfights happen within 3 feet atleast according to statistics)...I can mess up too, right? Especially if I'm under considerably more stress (fighting for my life since I wouldn't pull a gun or even a knife in the above mentioned fight since it wasn't life-threatening at that time) than they were when they messed up and I go all gross motor (I don't even use the slide stop, I always rack the slide by grabbing it as I would a motor cycle handle).

Sorry for the long post but that's my reasoning behind wanting a "point and click"-gun. I know everybody and his dog use the 1911 very effectively from IPSC to the streets but I'm not sure if my abilities are up to par.

And thanks for the suggestions! I checked them all out but they're either too small for local laws or pretty much equal to my Springfield Armory XD Service model/Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmel View Post
    A question: Why is it so important that it be a single stack 9mm?

For instance, the Glock 19 is only about 3 tenths of an inch (.28") thicker than the Kahr and it meets all your other criteria.

Good luck.

Mel
    Working and living in a pretty non-permissive environment and the thinner the gun the easier it is to keep concealed. I'm not actually sure just how much thinner, say, a 1911 is when compared to an XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bline View Post
    7" x 5.1" !?! That's a nasty restriction to abide by. Concealed is concealed what does it matter if it fits in a pocket...(deep breath). Can it be under one dimension and over ther other? Ex. could I have a gun 7.5" long and 4.5" tall? Or does it need to be => the said specs of "the box"? For instance the Kimber Compact: 7.7" long 4.5" tall(I know, I know, it's not 9mm or DAO just trying to get my brain around the size restriction law.)
    Well, the law is a bit vague on that point so the officials will twist and turn the gun any way they can to make it fit and if it fits the box (so that the end of the barrel and the end of the grip both can touch the bottom) it's no go without a special permit which is nigh impossible to get if you're an average joe. A Glock 19 fits the box, A Glock 19 Pro (the one with the barrel grooves to accommodate a silencer) does not.

I'm pretty certain I won't find a more suitable gun for my purpose than my chopped up XD but I'll keep searching just for the sake of keeping up hope for something better.

Half measures availed us nothing...

Dumb question: is the SIG P229 a double or a single stack? For 9mm it says 10 or 13 rounds.

Senior Moderator
    229 double stack
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Seems like you might in the long run having to compromise a bit in order to remain within the law.

Good luck! Sometimes you might not be able to be as particular about some things as you would like to be.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

How much are you willing to spend? SIG are expensive...but not 4-figure expensive
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sig P250 maybe?

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    In your situation for your requirements I would say Check CDNN or Aim surplus. You can't go wrong with a P6 aka 225 for about $275. If I where to switch to a SIG I prefer the older stuff. Even if your in your 20's that gun will probably out live you and your kids no problem.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links