1911 and EDC (in the heat)

This is a discussion on 1911 and EDC (in the heat) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I shot an ithica 1911 with ivory grips... is love at first sight (picture) too cliche? So I've been bitten with the 1911 bug. ...

Thread: 1911 and EDC (in the heat)

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

1911 and EDC (in the heat)

Well, I shot an ithica 1911 with ivory grips... is love at first sight (picture) too cliche? So I've been bitten with the 1911 bug. Besides the fact that it really is a proven combat platform the thing is a joy to shoot. Well I've been reading up on the PT1911 (I'm a broke college kid lets start small eh) and my only qualm is with the weapon rusting. I'm just worried that sweat will get onto the gun and rust it up. I live in PHX AZ, so it was 105+ today and will be until October kinda thing.

Are these worries justified? Or is it just a wipe it down daily kinda thing.

Also, you're thoughts on EDC with the PT1911?

Appreciate it,
    SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the PT1911 for a EDC gun. If your worried about sweat, you can always get a SS PT1911. I think the price difference is only about $20. I would have bought mine is SS if it had been available at the time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I agree with Archer - there's nothing wrong with the PT1911 for EDC. I'm not wild about SS guns anymore. High Noon Holsters makes a "skin guard" line that will keep a layer of holster between your body and the gun. I haven't had any problems with my PT1911 (yet), but am hyper-aware of rust issues (22 years in central Florida).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

The PT1911 is my EDC. I carry comfortably in an MTAC and the only rusting I've come across is on the Hammer (grooved area). A lil brushing and lube took care of that. Good Luck.

Sam.

VIP Member
    I sweat like a horse, my holster is directly against my skin under a shirt and my 1911 never gets wet inside my VM-II! (The side against the skin is horse hide!)

Nothing saying you can't give 'er a good wiping down each night to be safe.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I second the stainless steel recommendation, my daily carry is a stainless 1911. I'm in Phoenix, and while it's hard to believe, I'm cooler wearing a tucked undershirt and a loose open shirt. A darker pattern breaks up the lines very well. Save your pennies for the VM2 that Thumper recommended, they're amazing!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Agree with AZHusker

I'd go with AZHusker on recommending a horsehide or kydex holster to resist sweat - neither one seems to absorb moisture like cowhide. And the idea of a light undershirt of the "A shirt" variety is a good idea, to provide a buffer between you and the gun/holster. As for IWB or OWB, that is personal preference and depends on wardrobe.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Hi for what its worth I've carried a full size 1911(though not a
    PT1911,but they are fine weapons) here in Florida where it gets VERY hot in the summer. I to am looking at a 1911 in stainless however although I've had no issues other than surface rust here and there and it nothing a wipe down of CLP won't take care of.

Be aware that while more resistant to corrosion stainless steel can and does rust if not given proper care,I wipe down my carry gun nightly after carrying it all day. So all in all you can carry a full size steel 1911 even in hot weather,many many here do it and do it well. The ket is a good stiff gun belt and holster. The summer special 2 from milt sparks is an excellent rig as is the versa max 2.

As a side note the SS2 is available at brownells for $77 and either this or the VM2 with a god gun belt will make even a full size steel 1911 disappear under a t shirt. I hope I've helped you out some,let us know what you get.

VIP Member
    I also suggest SS

SS and wipe down every night. Preventative maintenance is key.

SS and A VM-II is your answer. Now you just have to work on that broke $$$ part.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I carry a stainless Colt 1991 in FL. Even with the stainless I get the occasional rust spot under the grips. Also, beware that not every part of a stainless gun is stainless. Small parts like the plungers, mag catch lock, sights, and springs can be unfinished or blued steel. Wiping down the exterior might not be enough, you might need to get inside the thing occasionally. Some folks swear by wax under the grips, some use RIG grease or Metal Seal. My holster is a Brommeland IWB about 10+ years old. Plain black leather.

Links