So, do you EMP owners recommend this gun.

This is a discussion on So, do you EMP owners recommend this gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by hinkleid I love this gun... nice shooter, accurate, easy to conceal. However, it was sent to SA Armory yesterday. I had numerous ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, do you EMP owners recommend this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    I love this gun... nice shooter, accurate, easy to conceal. However, it was sent to SA Armory yesterday. I had numerous problems: Would jam on feed ramp, double round in chamber, sometimes ejected back into my face. Final straw was when front night sight insert fell out somewhere along the way.
    SA was great about it, emailed me a return FedEx overnight label. Told me they would take care of it and return it soon with all problems corrected. This is the 9MM version. I have no problems when it is returned and works right.
    I just received my emp back from factory today. I called just to check of the wait time and was told that it had been shipped back and received this afternoon. I am pleased with their service, a week turnaround time, SA paid for overnight shipping both ways. According to the invoice they performed the following. Hope it will operate smoother now.

- recut barrel ramp
    - polished feed ramp
    - tuned extractor
    - reamed barrel
    - refit barrel
    - test 50 rds w/ no malfunctions
    - .140 dovetail frt. sight w/ tritium

2. Remove Ads

keep in mind these micro and sub-compact 1911's have EXTREMELY tight tolerances, so they will probably be extremely accurate, at the expense of being finnicky on ammunition choices. i'd love to own one, but i don't think i would trust it like i trust my g26

Quote Originally Posted by alphateam View Post
    keep in mind these micro and sub-compact 1911's have EXTREMELY tight tolerances, so they will probably be extremely accurate, at the expense of being finnicky on ammunition choices. i'd love to own one, but i don't think i would trust it like i trust my g26
    I don't know how you make that jump. Tight tolerances, accuracy, and reliability are not exclusive from one another in a 1911. You can have all three. Ever heard of a company called Baer? You can't get any tighter, accurate, or more reliable than a Baer. I would put my EMP up against a g26 any day.

ranburr

I carried the EMP for about 6 months, it's light, it's accurate, it's everything I could want in a CCW, except it's not a .45 ACP.
    I have the S/A Micro compact, which is almost the same gun in .45. I bought it before the EMP was released and I might have waited for the EMP. However, the Micro has been everything I expected. I picked the Micro over the Kimber Ultra compact after researching all I could. The price was about the same. I went for S/A customer service over Kimbers. Beautiful piece.

keep in mind these micro and sub-compact 1911's have EXTREMELY tight tolerances, so they will probably be extremely accurate, at the expense of being finnicky on ammunition choices.
    I didn't find that, but it was finicky about magazines. Strangely, it didn't like Wilson combat magazines, but likes S/A and Kimber. Go figure.

In reference to a g26 and a SA EMP which is smaller/thinner?
    Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm
    Beretta 92FS 9mm
    Browning Buckmark 22LR
    Ruger Mark III Dexlue Competition Model 22LR.
    1911 Soon.

Sa emp

Yo, Naturalstate just about said it all. IMO the little EMP has been a gem from he getty-up. I've had it for over a year now and easily fired over a K rounds of ammo of various types and brands and it's gone through them all perfectly.
    I haven't heard of anyone around hear having any problems with theirs. That may be because they're so hard to get your hands on. Almost like finding a LCP. lol
    I tried the Kimber CDP II and didn't care for it. Also had nothing but trouble and got rid of it at a gun show a few weeks after I bought it. The gun shop and range I attend has stopped carrying Kimber products due to the multitude of issues associated with their firearms.
    Just a funny side note: The darn little beauty is too pretty to carry everyday because I don't want to mess it up , but I sure love shooting her.
    I certainly would buy another without a blink of an eye.
    45 ACP: SP 1911 TRP, Sig P220compact, HK 45c
    40 cal: S&W M&P 40c
    9mm: Sig 239, Sp EMP, HKP7M8, HKP7 PSP
    380 ACP: Sig 232, Bersa T, Colt Gov series 80, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Ruger LCP
    22 LR: Ruger SS MKIII Hunter, Colt Fronteer Scout 22lr/mag, Walther PPK 22lr, PP22lr, P22, S&W 317, S&W 34-1

my son and i bought one each about a month ago...i was having ftf problems but the gun was very accurate.....my son was having ALL KINDS of problems, including shooting 3 inch high at 15 feet....we both sent the guns back to Springfield and two weeks later we got them back....my was perfect....my sons was worse than it was before he sent it back to SF, and it was still shooting 3 inches high at 15 feet....he was told by someone at SF that it would be a min.7 days before the could get it to the range to test it because the range is located off site and they only have access to it on wed. and that they missed the date this week and would have to wait till next week...... so we have two $1100.00 guns, one that works after 2 weeks back at the factory and one that doesnt. we are sure that SF will get his gun running great but with the price of these guns and the problems that have had, and are still having, and the shitty customer service that my son has had, you could do alot better with Colt or some othere gun.. we bought the EMP maily because of the great customer service that SF is suppose to have, but we havent seen it yet....the emp CAN be made into a great little gun, but for the price it should be a great little gun right out of the box........ NO, we will never buy Springfield again.........

oh i almost forgot, SF told my son that they didnt have time to test his gun on the range the first time he sent it in,. but they put a new front sight on it and just sent it back to him.....shooting 3 inches high and they dont even test fire a 1100.00 dollar gun????? customer service at its best...

I have the 9.Great gun, excellent trigger, very accurate, 26 oz, hides well... did I mention the wonderful single action trigger. Like most 1911's I had to run a few hundred rounds before I could trust it. Now flawless. My only complaints are the ambi safety, the extended mags (now altered by logman on 1911 forum), and my desire for full bluing that I could be a little less careful with. Maybe if it looked more "glock-like" I wouldn't try to preserve the great fit and finish.This in my opinion is the best all around CCW 1911.
    Life is too short to shoot ugly guns.

VIP Member
    This is a 4 1/2 year old thread. The EMP has been proven to be solid during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    This is a 4 1/2 year old thread. The EMP has been proven to be solid during this time.
    I agree, perhaps someone should close posts that are this old.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

yes, i agree, it has been a proven gun.....my main complaint is the customer service.....when u are having problems with a new gun i would exspect the manufactor to "test" the gun before they replace parts and send it back as "fixed"... you pay $1100.00 for a new gun and shoot it fo a week and then its in the shop for 4 weeks???? maybe it's just me exspecting too much.............

I do not own one but I rented the 9mm version at an indoor range. It was very unreliable, but seeing as it is a range gun I was not surprised in the least because it was diiiirty. But it was still insanely accurate. Head shots on a B27 silhouette at 25 yards were so easy I was honestly stunned by it. And this was with cheap 115gr 9mm too, not anything fancy. I would definitely buy one if I had the available cash.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

I can say this about the gun.
    When you first start shooting it, it is ammo sensitive. It is a tight fitting gun, and needs to break in.
    Use some good strong ammo to break it in. I did about 120 rounds.
    I then switched to cheaper ammo and now it seems to shoot smoother.
    I have never had a Jam or Hicup on mine.

So, do you EMP owners recommend this gun.

I have had mine less than a year---the trigger sux, it shoots 3" to the left and low and did I say the trigger sux. I haven't taken the time to send it back yet---thinking of trading it for a AR. I really like the way the gun feels In my hand plus it just looks good, but would absolutely not buy another one. It needs----front checkering, sights worked on, trigger job and a single side safety. When I carry it in my Crossbreed half the time I look down and the safety is off. One good thing is that is reliable but bout as accurate as my Judge. I own several SA's and this one (for what it cost) is absolutely NOT worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links