Thoughts on Kahrs CW series - Page 3

Thoughts on Kahrs CW series

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Kahrs CW series within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought one at a local gun show a few months back. Nice gun and everyone that sees and handles it likes it. Its light ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

KAhr CW9

I bought one at a local gun show a few months back. Nice gun and everyone that sees and handles it likes it. Its light and very thin and seems to be built of soley polymer and stainless steel which should stand up to daily carry by a sweathog.

Very shootable. I reload my own rounds and I've loaded some pretty hot ones and the chrono shows the increased velocity but I do not notice any extra kick.

I have about 400 rounds through it and I can't remember it ever jamming. The only thing is that when inserting a full clip (7 rounds) you usually have to drop the slide in order for it to strip the first round and go to battery. Half the time if you rack the slide by hand the round hangs up on the feed ramp. If you insert the clip with only 6 rounds and rack the slide it goes to battery just fine. Maybe there is too much tension on the clip spring or the spring is binding. If I find a solution to this I will post it. Its not a big deal since I carry with 1 in the chamber and 7 in the clip anyway.

I have an ankle holster and with standard straight leg jeans it conceals just fine.

I would buy the gun again.

Quote Originally Posted by elgriton View Post
    ....The only thing is that when inserting a full clip (7 rounds) you usually have to drop the slide in order for it to strip the first round and go to battery. Half the time if you rack the slide by hand the round hangs up on the feed ramp. If you insert the clip with only 6 rounds and rack the slide it goes to battery just fine. Maybe there is too much tension on the clip spring or the spring is binding. If I find a solution to this I will post it. Its not a big deal since I carry with 1 in the chamber and 7 in the clip anyway....
    Well, you find that Kahr pretty much recommends using slide lock position to chamber first round period, at least with the PM series.
    My PM9 is same way. First mag, I just chamber first one with slide lock, then add one more to mag for carry to get full capacity. Of course, not an issue for second mag, since slide locks open on empty anyway.

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I had a kahr cw9, I absolutely LOVED it. Unfortunately it was stolen, I hope my next handgun purchase is a kahr

Cw9 ftf

I noticed a comment about the first round out of a full mag being the one to fail to feed. This is really common for many single stack magazines. Never had the problem with modern hi-cap mags.
    Used to always load a Govt. Model and an old Baretta with one short of it's rating. Seven in a Colt mag. put it in the cun, chamber a round, take the clip out and add 1 round. I finally realized that it was the new mags having the problem. My old surplus Colt mags were ok. So I would shorten the mag spring by one coil in new mags.
    I also bought a couple of 8 round Pro-mags from Midway and they work great with 7 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. Stock mag I use 6 in mag and 1 in the chamber just to be sure although I shortened the mag spring also.
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Life Member
    Old Guy Still Shooting

I purchased a CW9 two weeks ago and it's been flawless. 100rds WWB 115gr fmj, 50rds Federal 115gr 9BP hollow points, 35rds Speer 115gr Gold Dots, and 35rds Federal 124gr HST +P. [I did accidently bump the mag release once with HSTs while firing. Operator error!]

Off to the range again tomorrow! Did I say the CW9 is a best buy?

The CW9 is tempting but night sights and the second magazine make the P9 worth it to me and you get the better fit and finish also.

Just put 250 rounds through my new CW9 and couldn't be happier. Didn't have one single failure at all. Shots very well and carries even better. And with the Gould & Goodrich belt slide holster i found at a local gun shop for $20 I hardly even know i have it on. Cant wait to put more rounds through it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links