Thoughts on Kahrs CW series

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Kahrs CW series within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody have one of these(any caliber)? If so how is it. I'm searching for my next purchase but don't want to break the bank. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Kahrs CW series

Thoughts on Kahrs CW series

Does anybody have one of these(any caliber)? If so how is it. I'm searching for my next purchase but don't want to break the bank. In the last 2 months i have picked up a Springfield Loaded 1911, S&W 642, and S&W M&P 360. Needless to say my funds kind of disappeared.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont own a cw simply because they did not exist when i bought my Kahrs . If i were buying today i likely would buy the cw over the p or even pm series . Heck if you want to shoot cheap lead reloads , home built or not you need a cw because my P wont shoot them safely . IMHO the only thing that the p buys me is a pre dovetailed slide so i can install nightsights . oO( for the purests i know that the " real " Kahrs are made with milled parts , not mim , but frankly with the falure rate of mim parts today i dont see this as a big thing .

Buy a cw and try it , heck if you dont like it there is a good chance that someone local will pay you more for it then you paid . If not then you are not as hurt as a " real " Kahr , and frankly from what i have seen a cw is likely to run as well if not better than any Kahr made .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

CW Series

BigJerm80,

I had a CW9 for a few months until trading it for a PM9. Both guns were/have been flawless. My reason for trading up to the pm9 was due to the fact I wanted to be able to pocket carry on occasion. The CW9 was a little to large to do this with.

IMHO you cant go wrong with any Kahr Model.

(Side note: My friends G/F recently purchased a CW40. The price was right. Its been a flawless gun and shoots very well. Only gripe is the 40 S&W feels a little snappy in such a small package, especialy in a polymer frame... YMMV)

I have owned 3 Kahrs.. Currently own P-40 Poly and K-40 Stainless. My Friends own the CW Series.. Very reliable guns. However I would consider them an entry level type gun. However, I have been to the range with them and no problems with either of their guns ever. Each are carrying different ammo one carrys Gold Dot Short Barrel and the other carrys Silver Tips.

Keep the Kahrs well oiled. quite a tight weapon but reliable all the way... If you have the money consider the mid series.

The cw40 I have is a problem child. When you do hear about problems its usually with the 40, dont see much complaing about the 9mm. Seems the 40sw round may be a bit much for it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Just bought a CW40, as it was priced right and I can't pass up a good deal. I have put about 350 rounds through mine now with no problems. Seems like after about round 3 it was broken in. I understand that the gun is suppose to be their economical line, though I think the rest of them are priced way too high. As a big glock fan, I have to say that I love the action on this pistol and think it was definately worth the money.

VIP Member
    I own a CW40 and have had no problems with it. When firing be sure to maintain a firm grip as it will FTF/FTE due to limp wristing. Of weapons I have tried it does have the best trigger for a DAO.

I own both a CW9 and a P9. They are both excellent and small enough to conceal easily (and I do sometimes pocket carry them). I had a problem with the P9 releasing the magazine whenever I fired. Kahr repaired it at no cost to me (other than to ship it to them) and I got it back this morning. Going to the range to check it out tomorrow. BTW, I am not the original owner, but their warranty covered me anyway.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I have around 450 rounds of cast bullet reloads through my CW9. I like this little pistol and feel it's very well made. I believe the slide stop is a MIM part and it appears to be a very well made part when compared to the slide stops I have on my 1911 Springfields and some of the other pistols I've owned.

I did have a few feed issues during the first 50-75 rounds. I felt the rail on the bottom of the slide that contacts the top round in the mag was a tiny bit rough and pulling the top round forward a bit causing feed problems. I polished it with very fine wet/dry sandpaper (600 grit or finer) and the pistol has been 100% whether do to the polish job or just plain ol' break-in.

All of the parts are very well finished and the internal's seems very simple especially when compared to my CZ 75. I'm very impressed with the workmanship, design, ergonomics and shoot-ability of this little pistol and enjoy shooting it. I think it represents a very good value.

Cloudpeak

I have a CW9 and really enjoy it. It's good to shoot, light to carry and easy to conceal. I posted pictures in another thread that show how easy it is to conceal.

I've got about 300 rounds through mine. Just saw two more of these CW9's given away at a raffle last month. They are growing in popularity for sure.

I've had my CW9 for a little bit now. Very light and slim. So far no problems. Deffinately good for the money.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    My CW40 has performed flawlessly with around 300 rounds through the pistol so far. I think the CW series guns are one of the best CCW values avalible today. The CW series guns may be the "entry level" Kahr's but there is nothing cheap about these fine pistols.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a CW9 and a CW45 and like them both. I bought the CW9 new in April and have not had a failure at all, even during the break-in period. The CW45 I got used just a couple of weeks ago and only hav about 40 rounds through it, again with no problems. It had unknown nunber of rounds when I bought it and it was the dirtiest trade-in I have ever seen. My LGS doesn't clean them before selling. It cleaned up really good and has the best trigger of any DA semi that I have shot. The CW9 is almost as good and is extremely accurate. I'm not sure what makes them entry level guns other than they come with one magazine and have staked front sights. The .45 is likely to become my daily carry. The grip is a little sharp around the edges, but that can be easily fixed. I have nothing but good to say about mine.

I purchased a CW45 a couple of months ago and have 200 rounds thru it with no feeding or ejection problems. Recoil is somewhat "snappy", but still very controllable. Great trigger and very accurate! Have not started to carry it yet as I don't have a holster for it yet....got a IWB ordered from UBG. I owned a K40 a few years ago and was duly impressed with it also....just heavy in the holster! Kahrs are great pistols....getcha one!
    You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks.....

EW3
    I have the CW40 and put 150 rounds through it with no problems. It is a bit snappy due to the .40 S&W caliber and small size, but is still more pleasant and easier to shoot than my .38 J-frame.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links