Range Report -- Walther PPS 40S&W & 9mm / DPMS Carbine

This is a discussion on Range Report -- Walther PPS 40S&W & 9mm / DPMS Carbine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my 11 yr. old grandson shooting yesterday and got my first chance to try out the Walther PPS in 40 S&W. Also had my ...

Thread: Range Report -- Walther PPS 40S&W & 9mm / DPMS Carbine

Range Report -- Walther PPS 40S&W & 9mm / DPMS Carbine

Took my 11 yr. old grandson shooting yesterday and got my first chance to try out the Walther PPS in 40 S&W. Also had my wife meet us at the range so she could put some more rounds out of her PPS 9mm.

PPS 40 S&W: Preformed flawlessly. No failures at all. Shot a little more than a 100 rounds total consisting of Winchester Ranger 155 gr. HP, Federal Classic 155 gr. HP, CCI Blazer Aluminum 165 gr. FMJ, CCI Blazer Brass 165 gr. FMJ & Magtech 165 gr. FMJ. Even though I set it out to take, I went off and forgot my pistol rest so couldn't do any precise accuracy testing but freehand at 10 yards, I had no problem holding all rounds into the 10 ring of an 8" target. Gun was a little snappier than my Sig 239, but that can be expected with the almost 1/2 pound (7 ozs.) difference in weight. The trigger is identical to the one on my wife's 9mm PPS. Not exactly smooth but short pull, not heavy, short reset. These are actually very nice triggers but do not readily compare to any other type of trigger I've shot. The closest I would say would be the single action trigger of the SA-XDs but with a shorter reset. Next time, I'll try and not let my CRS disease creep up and remember to take the pistol rest so I can get some true accuracy testing done, but given my limited experience to this point, these pistols are a winner. Makes for a very thin carry package and compares in size to some of the Kahrs.

9mm PPS: Wife went through about another 100 rounds through her 9mm PPS and again, no failures of any kind. This makes about 400 rounds through this pistol with zero malfunctions of any type. Ammunition shot today was CCI Blazer Aluminum 115 gr. FMJ, CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ, Federal American Eagle 115gr. FMJ, and Winchester Ranger 115 gr. HP.

DPMS Carbine: Didn't spend a lot of time with this one as I didn't want to take shooting time away from my grandson, but I wanted to get the TruGlo sight zeroed and test the gun for function with Hornady TAP and Silver Bear ammunition. Only malfunction of any kind was that on the first mag of ammo, the mag didn't hold back the bolt on the last round (Silver Bear ammo) but the same mag worked perfectly after that with both brands of ammo. Other than that, The gun managed to shoot 20 rounds into a ragged hole about 3/4" in diameter at 25 yards. I put this gun together as a close quarters battle rifle so zeroed it at 25 yards which should make me good to any range that my eyes will let me see with non-magnifying optics. I was pretty surprised at the decent accuracy of the Silver Bear ammo and I have six of the empty cases sitting out on my front porch now to see if they corrode. If the zinc plating holds up decently, the cost of them for 62 gr. HP ammo would make it attractive for "stockpile" ammo.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    CVHOSS thanks for all the range reports. They are informative and helpful. Now if I can just make myself part with the cash and buy myself yet more CCW's.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links